AFL

This season?

Not sure adding one week is “radical”.

Radical would be fairness, ensuring that the teams that play eachother twice are based on rules, not maximising blockbusters. Having it be a mixture of teams based on the previous year’s ladder positions, trying to achieve as close as possible to the same average ranking of the teams; or being that you play each team twice every 3 years on a cycle.

1 Like

Well the footy is back from this Wednesday. Just had a look at the draw, interesting starting from the Wednesday night with MEL v WB while Carlton and Richmond retain their usual Thursday night slot, normally the first game of the season.

Nor is scrapping the pre-season ‘competition’ - Since the Ansett/Wizard/NAB Cup ended, the pre-season has been a bit of a mess

4 Likes

yeah since they moved to the community cup format (which is great for the communities involved, as they get to see footy they would normally not) its a bit of a joke. the glory days of the old “night premiership” are gone and it needs a bullet in its head

If they were to go to the additional round, it would be good to see the clubs be required to play the game somewhere other than their home ground

Like a community round?

I haven’t watched any since it dropped off FTA. Not unusual when FTA coverage is removed for subscription, the reach drops dramatically.

1 Like

The point of the extra game is to provide some revenue for the club through extra game of memberships, ticket revenue etc, ability to sell an extra game to the sponsors

Yeah - thats effectively the idea of the JLT series (or whatever they call it now). Maybe it doesnt have to be the same round though

1 Like

That would be a selling point to the clubs, but the reason is to add value for the broadcasters, particularly Seven. They don’t want that broadcasting revenue to start shrinking.

The AFL are doing little changes here and there to maintain that value for the broadcasters.

You can still achieve that by taking the game to an alternate location as well - the NRL does this to good success at the moment (although they’ve sacrificed a home game).

The clubs need to be part of efforts to grow the game - it can’t all be on the code.

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t start this weekend. They have 2 states with public holidays. And it would be an opportunity to ties something in with the Adelaide cup.

I would do something like this:

Wednesday night - AFL Grand Final rematch
Thursday - Carlton v richmond
Friday - Game 3
Saturday afternoon - Game 4
Saturday night - game 5
Sunday afternoon - game 6
Sunday night - Showdown
Monday - GWS vs Western Bulldogs (from Canberra) Canberra day
Two Victorian teams (St Kilda vs North Melbourne)

1 Like

This year I think they are already starting a week earlier? I thought the year usually starts towards the end of March rather than mid-month, but maybe COVID has muddled that thinking.

No it’s the same week as last year

1 Like

No idea how accurate this is; some comments suggest may not be the full story.

How long until Clarko takes over?

Won’t be happening mate

1 Like

1 Like

Great start to the 2022 season tonight. Melbourne celebrated the unfurling of their 2021 premiership flag with a 26 point win over Western Bulldogs, in a see-saw battle at the MCG.

1 Like