AFL

I thought Essendon had?

Someone on radio said a couple of weeks ago Richmond were just behind?

2017 All-Australian Team:
Backline: Michael Hibberd, Alex Rance (captain), Jeremy McGovern
Half backline: Rory Laird, Michael Hurley, Sam Docherty
Centreline: Josh Kelly, Dustin Martin, Zach Merrett
Midfield: Paddy Ryder, Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Mitchell
Half forward line: Robbie Gray, Lance Franklin, Dayne Zorko
Forward line: Joe Daniher, Josh Kennedy (vice captain), Eddie Betts
Interchange: Matt Crouch, Elliot Yeo, Joel Selwood, Dylan Shiel

2 Likes

Nope it’s Richmond.
https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html

1 Like

Well, to be fair, Richmond have more games than Essendon at the MCG

Some sad news with Crows ruckemen Sam Jacobs’s brother Aaron passing away from a heart attack at the age of 31. He was on ‘Roaming BT’ only a few weeks ago. (@9:25)

4 Likes

I will post more detail prior to each game next week, in the predictions thread

Here’s my thoughts on Week 1 :slight_smile:

•1st Qualifying Final (ADE v GWS)
-Winner: Crows
-Crowd: 53,000 Adelaide Oval
-Ratings: 1.55m
-Leading ball winner: Sloane

•2nd Qualifying Final (GEEL v RICH)
-Winner: Cats
-Crowd: 95,000 MCG
-Ratings: 1.9m
-Leading ball winner: Dangerfield

•1st Elimination Final (PORT v WCE)
-Winner: Eagles (big upset)
-Crowd: 50,000 Adelaide Oval
-Ratings: 1.5m
-Leading ball winner: Ebert

•2nd Elimination Final (SYD v ESS)
-Winner: Swans (probably comfortably, although last time they met was absolutely unbelievable… And heartbreaking!)
-Crowd: 45,000
-Ratings: 1.8m
-Leading ball winner: Buddy

Also, as good as this season’s been & finals make-up looks, I somehow doubt we’ll see another amazing prelim or GF, just a gut feeling that they don’t repeat themselves always?

Any thoughts??

[Ratings: Metro + Regional + Foxtel average]

1 Like

Rory Sloane is out for tomorrow night’s Qualifying Final between Adelaide & GWS at Adelaide Oval.

Huge blow for the No. 1 side :open_mouth:

Some smiles on GWS players and their supporters now.

Do you mean leading possession winner by leading ball winner?

1 Like

It was announced last weekend that this year’s North East Australian Football League (NEAFL) Grand Final between Sydney and Brisbane reserves would be held at the SCG this Saturday at 7.45pm, after the AFL elimination final between Sydney and Essendon. It will be free entry for the NEAFL match to keep fans entertained while the NRL elimination final between Manly and Penrith is on next door at Allianz Stadium. Usually, matches like NEAFL will be a curtain-raiser to the main event. I wonder how many Swans fans will stay around after the AFL match.

1 Like

Sounds to me like they are trying to put the wind up the NRL??

Free football MIGHT stop people venturing in next door at Allianz to watch the NRL final…

Today? Was announced Saturday…

1 Like

Adelaide flogged GWS in tonight’s qualifying final tonight and will host a preliminary final in two weeks’ time. The Crows lost Brodie Smith to a knee injury (suspected ACL) but should regain Rory Sloane for the prelim. They have a good chance to win their first flag in 19 years. GWS was very disappointing tonight and must regroup quickly to face either Port Adelaide or West Coast in next weekend’s semi final in Sydney.

4 Likes

So an all Adelaide Grand Final is a definite possibly, since GWS vs PA/WCE will face the winner of GEE/RIC for one spot in the big one.

As is the prospect of an all Sydney GF, since SYD now can’t meet GWS until GF since SYD (if they keep winning) play loser GEE/RIC next week then ADL for the other spot.

4 Likes

I’ve been of the strong belief that this year’s GF would be an all interstater.

Yes… Geelong & Richmond bombing out

–

On another note, even though it’s not uncommon (3 of the 4 Week 1 finals last year were one sided), tonight’s just felt so boring, possibly because there was no Melbourne team? Or the rain/scrappy contest? Or no goal by one of the team’s for a QTR!?

Even the commentators sounded bored at times.

I thought Bruce was a bit flat tonight at times.

Every year there are always some finals do end up disappointing just like this one.

Not sure about that, he is a Crows supporter I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

Or that Adelaide ran away with it early (55-11 by half time) and GWS never really looked like getting back into it?

1 Like

GWS looked so flat last night. Could they go out in straight sets?

1 Like

The Saturday night Qualifying Final was worse than last night, 60pt blow-out, North looked disgraceful (also beaten by Adelaide at Adelaide Oval).

After being No. 1 on ladder for half the year.

But even an argument could me made that it was more watchable than last night.

What? What makes a game automatically interesting because it has a Melbourne team? That is the most ridiculous thing I have read.

Well you’ll have to forgive me being a Melburnian Turdall.