AFL

Posted the finals schedule on Seven AFL Coverage thread.

Or North Melbourne - twice or how they gave up big leads to Brisbane and St Kilda. Only themselves to blame.

1 Like

So the matchups are set.

• This will be the first time Adelaide will play GWS in a final, with the Giants never having beaten them in Adelaide.
  • It’s the 8th time that the Swans have met Essendon in the September action, Bombers lead 5-2, Sydney won the only meeting in Sydney in a final (Plugger’s point), and they haven’t met in a final since 1999 (Plugger’s last game before ill fated comeback).
  • This will be the first time the Cats and Tigers have met in a final since the 1995 prelim at Waverley. The last time they met in a final at the MCG was the 1969 1st semi, with Richmond winning by 118 points.They’ve met 9 times overall in finals, Richmond have won 7.
  • This is the 2nd time Port has met the Eagles in a final. The only other time was the 2007 Qualifying Final when the Eagles played Judd on one leg and Cousins pinged a hammy. Neither would be seen in an Eagle jumper again after Port won a dull low scoring affair.
5 Likes

Who honestly could have predicted Richmond haha

2 Likes

What, nine games at the same time?

That’s the thought. We’ll, same day at least. With clubs selling games to smaller markets it’s probably achievable. Broadcasters would be pussed off.

9 games on the same day is impossible in this day and age due to several Victorian teams sharing the two stadiums (MCG and Docklands). Using last weekend’s round as an example, there were two games for the MCG and two games for Docklands. Even if one was played on Friday night, either venue would still have a doubleheader for the Saturday, which would lead to logistics and security problems.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it is possible if you use Simonds for Geelong games.

2 Likes

Melbourne could do their game in Alice
Western Bulldogs a game in Ballarat
Hawthorn Tasmania
Geelong in Simmons
One at MCG
One at doclands.
One in QLD
One in SA
One in WA
One in NSW

You have one extra venue avail so you wouldnt need Melbourne to travel to Alice.

Doing that should make it possible.

1 Like

Continuing the Perth Stadium discussion in the appropriate thread

I wonder what the news of NRL having the first sport event means for the AFL?

I’m surprised about the concert too.

It’d have been amazing to see a WA derby AFL game open the stadium. I have no doubt it’ll still get the largest crowd by the length of the Flemington straight, but when it’ll be, who knows?

Fremantle want to play a Melbourne club their first. West Coast also hit back.

AFL will still be in pre-season mode (JLT Community Series) by the time of NRL doubleheader, so they can’t play at Perth Stadium just yet. Also, Subiaco will have been decommissioned by then.

1 Like

Won’t the first event be the Australia v England ODI?

Edit: It actually isn’t. It looks like CA have changed their mind.

1 Like

So a reminder of the extra time rules in play for ALL finals

• 8 minute break between end of regulation and start of 1st period of ET as per a 3/4 time break (Coaches allowed to address players)
  • Period of ET (we believe) is 5 minutes EACH WAY plus time on, straight swap between periods with coaches NOT allowed on ground
  • If game is still tied another 8 minute break comes with coaches allowed on ground, then another period (5 EW + Time On) is played (no AFL final to date has required more than 1 period of ET to be played)
  • If game is STILL tied the siren will NOT sound until the next score UNLESS a score after the siren ties the scores, should that happen the ball will return to the middle regardless of score, then next score wins
  • The Interchange cap for ET is 15 Interchanges (trying to find out if changes left over from the 90 in regulation carry over to ET)
3 Likes
2 Likes

I’m so excited for GEEL v RICH at the MCG :grinning:

I’ll be there in the MCC (arriving early, but no doubt there’ll be an enormous queue back to the Hilton!)

Could be one for the ages, even though it’s not a Prelim.

Just hope it’s not an anti-climax / one-sided.

1 Like

Looking at the positives of this finals series…

•Bar Brisbane, there’s a team from every AFL market.

•Some potential cracking contests (possibly a ‘showdown’), including ADE v GWS and GEE v RICH in Week 1.

•Sydney Swans audiences well up on 7mate in Sydney this year (certainly second half of season, with nearly 10 games above 60k, highest was almost 100k two weeks ago).

•Richmond Top 4

•Adelaide Top 4

•GWS backing-up last year’s performance (as well as Sydney as it turns out).

•Essendon making finals (AFL would be happy, considering the doom and gloom of recent years).

•No Hawthorn

•No Bulldogs (I am shocked like anyone, but gives other teams an opportunity for the flag).

What are some other positives, apart from the home and away season being unbelievable?

Are you traveling to Sydney for the Essendon game?

2 Likes

Record crowd for this season thanks to improving forms by Essendon, Melbourne and St Kilda.

Speaking of St Kilda, veteran Leigh Montagna announced his retirement today after 287 games.

2 Likes

Also the Tigers have had the highest attendance average this year

1 Like

That’s a negative (sadly) Turdall.