AFL

I think the top eight is really starting to form now. A few weeks ago it was nearly anyone’s to grab but I think we’re down to ten still in it. Eleven if the Bulldogs can string a few more wins in the next few weeks.

Yeah there are 11 who can still make it. I dont think St Kilda will but I think the two out of the 8 who could make it are Essendon and Bulldogs.

Bulldogs did alright yesterday but they aren’t out of the woods yet. Need to win at a minimum 3 out of the next four IMO. Either their run starts now or they won’t make it.

1 Like

Well after Adelaide’s big win against Geelong tonight we can safely say they are premiership favourites at the moment. Possibly the first time in the season we have a clear stand-alone contender.

2 Likes

It breaks my soul to admit Adelaide are the favourites. But they have had a few good weeks in a row now and are making a good move towards september. But with that week off who knows what could happen.

Round 20 could tell the ultimate tale with most of the teams in contention playing each other.

• Melbourne travel to Canberra to play the Giants. It won’t hold fears for Melbourne considering they’ve won in Alice Springs, Perth and Adelaide and are poised to win in Hobart next week. Giants themselves need to win one of the games where they don’t face a Perth team (the other games are road trips against the Dogs and Geelong, games given their Melbourne form they’re likely to be outsiders) to ensure a double chance.
  • It’s Showdown weekend in Adelaide, where anything can and usually does happen as the case is in all Derby type matches
  • Sydney for all of their herculean effort to get into 6th travel to Geelong (after facing the only team that’s beaten them in the last 3 months). Sydney themselves have to win one of the 3 games against finals contenders (Hawthorn, Geelong and Adelaide, all away) to make it assuming they win their home games.
  • St.Kilda host West Coast in a virtual elimination final. Both have tough runs home (Eagles have another road game in Sydney and play Adelaide last, St.Kilda play 4 finals contenders in the last 5)
  • Essendon play Carlton, where even though they’re favoured the Blues often lift for games against Essendon. Bombers have a decent run home even if they’re banana skins, but may have to beat either the Dogs or Adelaide (both at Docklands) to hold on)
  • Bulldogs travel to Brisbane, where they haven’t won since Jason Akermanis played for the Dogs. Our run is interesting but Essendon the week before and GWS the week after before the neutral game in Ballarat aginst Port makes it tough.
  • Richmond play Hawthorn, who could be the big sleeper of all the teams left in contention given they don’t need to worry about percentage (1.5 games out at this stage).

We may know who can sneak in or fall out in 14 days time.

Collingwood CEO Gary Pert has resigned after ten years in the job. Before that, he played 70 games for the Pies from 1991 to 1995 (after 163 games for Fitzroy from 1982 to 1990).

I hate football.

How could Collingwood give up a 51 point lead and draw with Adelaide?!

2 Likes

We’ve had 3 draws in a month after having no draws for almost 2 years!

What a round. Sigh on relief from this port fan. A loss would have risked a miss of playing in September

Time for AFL “golden point” (ala NRL) perhaps !! :grin:

Absolutely not!

Adds some spice to the ladder come the business end.

8 Likes

We have extra time and then golden point in the finals…

1 Like

The fixture for round 23 was released this afternoon. All times AEST.
Friday August 25
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs (Etihad Stadium, 7.50pm)
Saturday August 26
Collingwood v Melbourne (MCG, 1.45pm)
Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne (The Gabba, 2.10pm)
Sydney v Carlton (SCG, 4.35pm)
Geelong v GWS (Simonds Stadium, 7.25pm)
Port Adelaide v Gold Coast (Adelaide Oval, 7.40pm)
Sunday August 27
Essendon v Fremantle (Etihad Stadium, 1.10pm)
Richmond v St Kilda (MCG, 3.20pm)
West Coast v Adelaide (Domain Stadium, 4.40pm)

1 Like

The official guide of AFL Round 23.

Gold Coast’s Rodney Eade has become the first coach to be sacked this season. CEO Mark Evans told Eade late last night that his three-year contract would not be renewed at the end of this season, then this morning Eade called Evans that he wanted to leave the club immediately and would not coach their last three games of the season. Eade coached Sydney and Western Bulldogs previously and was sacked both times before the season was over.

2 Likes

I now reckon Adelaide vs Sydney for the Grand Final.

And wouldn’t it be epic!

I think at least one year without a Melbourne club would look and be fantastic.

Perhaps the preview this Friday night?

I will also note, that Adelaide will set themselves an OzTam ratings record if the Crows make the GF and it’s a good game (let alone a win). 500k?

This week so far, three players announced their retirement: Bob Murphy, Josh Gibson and James Kelly. I think there may be more to come.

An exclusive group leaving this year :frowning: