AFL

If you want someone who got thrashed in a GF, take a look at WC in 2015 and Port in 2007. Absolutely demolished by a far superior opposition.

2 Likes

I’m no coach. Its like Port being unable to win at Etihad. Thwie game style might not be suited to the MCG.

I just said thrashed was the wrong word…

1 Like

Last year’s GF was a thriller, one of the best in years (since at least 2012 - when Sydney won).

Turdall, as I mentioned the other day, Sydney are ranked No. 1 on form & are showing no signs of stopping.

Teams such as Adelaide & West Coast need to prove they can win at the MCG on the big stage, which they’ve both been poor at in recent years (i.e.) finals and/or GF

1 Like

They’ve won their past 2 games at the MCG.

Yeah, nah

No, that was the GF I refuse to acknowledge, last year was close in comparison

There is an element to this, I also think our run peaked too early last year - the GWS final should have been a wakeup call

1 Like

Well it must be more to do with the grand final. I don’t know what it is but they always look flat on grand final day. They clearly have one of the best teams in the competition but every time they make the GF and finals they looks flat.

There’s also an unknown belief factor which can come into play in the Grand Final/Finals series, this is what helped the Bulldogs last year. Once they realised that Finals was a possibility, they stepped up a level, their supporters stepped up and each week closer to the GF they all stepped up more leading to the situation across Australia where the flag favourites were Sydney for those thinking with their heads and Bulldogs for those thinking with their hearts or wanting the true underdog fairytale story to come through.

There’s still a few teams who could get that support too and the supporters of those teams knocked out, whether they can use it like the Bulldogs did remains to be seen.

GWS - controversial, but people will want to see them win a flag being the baby of the comp. Controversial though due to the draft picks and money thrown at them.

Melbourne - The one team who could really benefit, a few short years ago they were in turmoil and the butt of all jokes, now they’re hopefully going to make finals. Also, have a good song which can evoke the emotions and have people belting it out and every heart beating true.

RIchmond - If they can make it past week 1, they can get support, but they’ve probably done the dash the past few years by getting hopes up and then not delivering.

Essendon - Again, controversial but after the recent years their supporters will be unstoppable if they can make it to finals.

The rest of the teams, can get the usual amount of support but these ones mentioned I reckon could go towards getting that extra factor which the Bulldogs had last year.

3 Likes

As I mentioned it has nothing to do with their form. Simply talking about finals.

This is the same with Sydney… they havent had great form in finals.

Um…

Before you um me go look at the last 4 years.

2016 - Lose 2 of 4
2015 - Lose 2 of 2
2014 - Lose 1 of 3
2013 - Lose 2 of 3

This isn’t exactly a good finals record…

How many GFs have Adelaide made in that time?

What has Sydneys finals form got to do with Adelaides?

Oh please

I am so confused what you are going on about…

I’m not an Adelaide supporter so don’t care. I sm only talking about whether I think Sydney has a shot at winning a GF this season and my answer is no.

Do I think Adelaide has a better shot? Fuck yes. They have had one of the hardest 3 years out of any team. 3 coaches in 4 years and one of them passef away. For their coach to take them to the semi finals last year was a great acheivement. Who I think has the best shot? My money is on Geelong. But personally I think Geelong, GWS and if Essendon make the 8 are the ftont runners, in my eyes.

1 Like

I’m tipping a Geelong v Adelaide GF with the Crows winning…

If you ask me, the Crows actually had a better shot last year, but blew it in Round 23 against the Eagles. It meant that instead of getting 2 home finals at a ground where until that game they looked close to unbeatable, they had to travel to Sydney in week 2 (and it got even worse when Sydney lost in week 1, meaning that they got the final on the bullring SCG rather than playing GWS at the more expansive Showground).

1 Like

But they are in top spot currently so surely have a better shot than last year.

Yet they are more vulnerable with their lack of midfield nip (their quickest players are small forwards who spend 5 minutes a game in the middle if that).

1 Like

I don’t rate Adelaide either but they have a better shot considering they should get 2 home finals. I don’t know if I don’t rate them because they are our rivals.