AFL

I agree, I think it’s a bit rash to be abandoning NSW at this stage, we aren’t even really anywhere near a lockdown. I can understand Swans and Giants having to play some games away from home, but some other AFL teams could be hubbed here for a few weeks in their place. NRL games are still being played here as well.

Seems like the AFL has scheduled Carlton v Hawthon in Perth for audiences in the eastern states. It starts at 3.40pm next Thursday, July 30, when many people will still be at work (school will have finished by then). Only the most diehard WA fans of the two clubs will be there.

2 Likes

As I have been aware of the new AFL schedules, I have noticed that they have decided to cram some matches from Round 9-12 onwards. Why the AFL decide to cram matches and include MOnday, Tuesday and Wednesday in a few rounds? This is surely turning into a Big Bash League tournament style competition for the AFL. For example, NOrth Melbourne are starting to play home games at Blundstone Arena, Hobart. After North Melbourne play Geelong at the Gabba (on 5 August), they will fly from Brisbane to Hobart. The North Melbourne team will play Melbourne Demons on 9 August in Blundstone Arena. North Melbourne have played 3 straight matches in QLD and lost.

They want to finish the home and away season in quicker due to covid19.

4 Likes

Revision to the number of fans allowed to attend AFL games at the Adelaide Oval - down to 20,000 from 25,000.

1 Like

Blues-Hawks match that was scheduled to be played on the 30 July has now been moved to 31st July 2020.
1 Like

It means Fox Footy will get its first Friday night live match since West Coast took on Port Adelaide on Good Friday last year.

2 Likes

Bad news for the AFL however in regards to Tasmanian matches.
https://twitter.com/chrisroww/status/1286528389159870464

From ABC News live blog:

“I will provide an update on August 7 on possible timeframes to relax restrictions on [Queensland, NSW and the ACT],” (Premier Peter) Gutwein said.
"We will not open our border to them anytime before August 14.
“For those who love the AFL, fixtures which have been pencilled in before that date won’t be going ahead because players will be coming from Queensland.”

I feel the Tasmanian Government is breaching its contract (via TT-Line) with the Kangaroos playing matches in Hobart, in the name of protecting public health.

1 Like

They could play later in the year, provided the borders open back up after the second wave is hopefully under control.

Otherwise I’m sure COVID impacts would be a satisfactory escape as something no-one could have reasonably expected.

I just couldn’t believe why Fremantle are playing so badly tonight. The weather was very wet and slippery. Fremantle were very slow, failing to score a goal in the first half. Dockers had a lot of chances during the first half and therefore they were outplayed by Geelong. THis game is a very ordinary match to watch. Very poor umpiring from Dean Margetts had already tarnished the game. I couldnt believe why Margetts made poor decisions. Longmuir will not be very happy about his loss to Geelong.

It was a scrappy first term but Geelong were all over them in the second - should have kicked four or five goals instead of the one. Freo played better in the third but fell away in the end.

Have to agree the game was not much of a spectacle which I guess the conditions are in no small part responsible before. And I’m always reserved about blaming umpires for outcomes, but there certainly were some questionable decisions last night (both ways admittedly, but a few key ones that went against Freo)

Saw a bit of Fremantle-Geelong highlights on YouTube this morning. Geelong certainly handled the wet conditions far better than the home team, but the Cats also missed some easy shots at goal.

With their narrow win over Melbourne on Sunday night, Brisbane Lions have jumped to second spot on the ladder, which means Port Adelaide and Brisbane occupy the top two positions on the ladder for the first time since Round 22, 2004.

Or since Round 7 2020.

2 Likes

Ah 2004, the Cats ‘coming of age’ season. What a year that was (although let’s not talk about the first final). Also the last time Essendon won a final :smile:

@turdall might have some good memories from 2004 as well, although for different reasons

Yeah it was a good year. We finally got one after the three years before being a big disappointment.

1 Like

2004 was a great year for Port Adelaide. Port was very lucky to have made the AFL Grand Final this year. As well with this, this was the first time that we saw two non-Victorian teams (QLD-SA) battle out in the Grand Final. That year, Port Adelaide had a strong lineup and have played an exceptional round of AFL. Port Adelaide won their first premiership after beating Brisbane Lions by 40 points. I didnt watch the game on TV but i caught up some highlights on YouTube.
I think 2007 was a much better improvement than 2006 for Port Adelaide. AFter finishing 12th spot in 2006, Port Adelaide improved to finishing 2nd spot in 2007. Port Adelaide recorded a heart stopping win over West Coast in the qualifying final, and smashed North Melbourne by 87 points.

I think Port Adelaide is improving this year and managed to turn things around for the club. I would like to see Port Adelaide make the Grand Final for the first time since 2007. Port are playing better football this year. I would like to see a Port Adelaide v Geelong (as much as I dislike the Cats) Grand final in 2020.

You know I do have a little soft spot for Port right now. Possibly because the coach is ex-Geelong, but I do love players like Boak and Robbie Gray, and they’re a fun team to watch when they’re up and about. Definitely the more palatable of the two SA sides for mine

1 Like

I wouldn’t only want to play geelong if we could play at Metricon. If not I never want to play geelong in a grand final again.

Well he is an ex geelong boy as well.

1 Like

The Round 12 Friday night clash between Geelong and Port Adelaide has been moved from The Gabba to Metricon Stadium. Date and starting time is unchanged.

7NEWS understands the AFL is considering fines of up to $50,000, $25,000 of which may be suspended.

The AFL has been entrusted by Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, who has given the league licence to host more than a dozen teams and continue the season in the state.

7NEWS.com.au understands the Kangaroos, Blues and Tigers were on Wednesday in discussions with the league about the size of the fine or whether the sanction should be no more than a warning.

1 Like