AFL

Tomorrow, the flags of Ballarat Town Hall will be flown at half-mast.

10 Likes

Words cannot express the loss of Danny Frawley. He was born in Ballarat, where he grew up on a potato farm, which led to his nickname, Spud. Spud was an enormous than life character who enjoyed an exceptionally well career at St Kilda, playing 240 games and being inducted in the Best and Fairest and All-Australian in 1988. After his retirement, Frawley joined Richmond as coach in 2000. He took the Tigers into the finals (For the first time since 1995) where they reached the preliminary finals. Frawley left Richmond at the end of 2004 season. In 2006, he was inducted into the St Kilda Hall of Fame. During his post-football career, he was part of Fox Footy. He got along well with his colleagues, Jason Dunstall and Cameron Mooney. He was also part of the 1116 SEN Footy Team on Friday nights and Sunday Afternoons. Fox Footy will never be the same without him. RIP Danny Frawley.

4 Likes

Today’s Herald Sun front page (bumping Australia’s Ashes test win to a liftout and sports pages)

Additionally, all four competing clubs this weekend – Geelong Cats, West Coast Eagles, Brisbane Lions and GWS Giants along with the umpires and AFL match officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect to the former St Kilda Captain, Richmond Coach, AFLCA Chief Executive, AFL Life Member, current All-Australian selector and football media personality.

4 Likes

Will there be one minute silence for the Geelong v West Coast game at the MCG and the Brisbane v GWS match at the Gabba?

1 Like

Yes

4 Likes

Sadly won’t be near a full minute. I liked the way Melbourne acknowledged Jim Stynes’ passing with applause rather than silence. Somehow I think that would be appropriate with Spud too.

1 Like

Geelong v West Coast at MCG. Crowds will be huge. Thousands of West Coast fans will travel to Melbourne to watch the game from the arena. Friday Night Sudden Death match. It will be a blockbuster at the 'G. I am way excited for Friday the 13th.

2 Likes

I think silence is more appropriate given his issues with mental health. I don’t want to sound heartless but if the crash turns out not to have been an ‘accident’ then it would be a little inappropriate to applaud that. And in fact silence would be the most appropriate way to open the discussion towards those suffering mental health.

2 Likes

Open the discussion by staying silent?

3 Likes

No but they could play with the silence couldn’t they? This is how you might feel but don’t stay silent. Just not sure how applauding it would help and if it turned out to not be an accident glorifying it wouldn’t be the answer.

1 Like

It will just be around 30 seconds of silence.

2 Likes

i get where your coming from but… with some one who suffers from mental health i have learnt staying silence is never the answer ,in fact it is excatly how my mental health blew up .

3 Likes

No I am not saying silence is the answer I am saying using the silence could be a nice way to say lets not stay silent about these issues talk about them etc. For example after the 30 seconds is up perhaps someone could say if you suffer mental illness don’t stay silent.

4 Likes

It will probably end up being “Will you please remain standing for the Australian National Anthem”.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Good to see some collaboration between commercial broadcasters for a unique event :smile:

2 Likes

Sombre mood at St Kilda’s best and fairest award night, just two days after Danny Frawley’s death. There have several tributes to him at the event, including one by former teammates Stewart Loewe and Robert Harvey and one from the club:

BTW, Nine News Melbourne’s Alicia Loxley is MC.

3 Likes

Don Pyke stepped down as Adelaide coach after 4 years.

1 Like

The crows trying to say this is not about the internal/external review is total rubbish. Why not just be honest!

I know some crows fans disagree but I still think Brad Scott would be a good fit at the crows.