AFL

Yes, the two men are part of the review panel.

1 Like

Tones and I and Dean Lewis will also perform before the match while Conrad Sewell will sing the national anthem.
The line-up was first revealed on 3AW breakfast’s Rumour File segment yesterday.

1 Like

:frowning: this is not an imcomplete sentence.

West Coast recovered from their debacle against Hawthorn nearly two weeks ago to thump Essendon by 55 points in tonight’s elimination final at Optus Stadium. It continued Essendon’s finals winning drought going back to 2004. It was also the Eagles’ first ever finals win over the Bombers. Since they first met in a finals match in 1990 (preliminary final), Essendon won all five encounters - 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996 and 2002.

1 Like

1 Like

Collingwood beat Geelong by 10 points tonight in a tense, low scoring affair, in front of more than 93,000 fans at the MCG. The result even got a mention during Sky’s coverage of the fourth Ashes test today, with Shane Warne telling the result on air to colleague Nasser Hussain. Warne said his daughter Brooke was at the game and one of his best friends is Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

Early prediction from me is Geelong and Brisbane will go out in semis.

1 Like

Another shameful finals display from the Cats last night - how many years in a row now is it that we’ve forgotten to turn up at the start of a major finals game.

Incredibly stupid pre-game ploy to drop our only recognised ruckman (playing against Brodie Grundy mind you) for a midfielder whose form this year has been average at best.

And the tactics - why do we play so slow and just continuously bomb it down the line? We’ve been making the same mistakes in finals since we lost to Freo in 2013! Will they ever learn? If we do the same like that against West Coast the likes of McGovern and Hurn will eat us for breakfast, and it’ll be a straight sets exit

But despite the dumb selection ploy, the poor tactics, the few injuries, and the fact that probably over 50% of the team had an off night, we still managed to only lose by 10 points. I think that’s the most remarkable thing of all…

Anyway, rant over. Looking forward to the Lions game tonight, I’m hoping up here it should be a much better affair than two weeks ago

4 Likes

What are your thoughts on the Geelong playing at the MCG? If Richmond lose tonight there is no reason why Geelong shouldn’t be allowed to play in Geelong.

Personally I don’t know if I rate Geelong. Same can be said about Brisbane. I think they both had some favourable draws.

Brisbane Lions’ first final in 10 years ended with a 47 point loss to Richmond. The Tigers were superb with their defence and sharpshooting with Dustin Martin kicking six goals, while the Lions let themselves down with poor goalkicking (8.17). It’s the first time since 1926 that the top two teams on the VFL/AFL ladder lost in the first week of the finals.
Tonight’s crowd of 37,478 is the biggest attendance for an AFL match at the Gabba.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to stay out of the home final debate really, it’s been blown way out of proportion since the Richmond game a couple of years ago.

Reality is we’ll never play the big Melbourne clubs anywhere other than the MCG. The Collingwood final was always going to be there, as it should be. Having said that, we routinely play non-Victorian teams at home, and we have played a final against Fremantle at home in 2013, so there was surely a good argument for the West Coast final next week to be in Geelong. But apparently not

I don’t think our draw was favourable as such, we played and beat Collingwood and Richmond at the G earlier in the year. Although we did get to beat Adelaide and Sydney twice, but it’s not like we got Gold Coast and Carlton twice. The same can’t be said for Brisbane who did get an easier draw courtesy of their lower finish last year.

However I have to agree that’s its tough to rate us at the moment. The West Coast game will be really interesting - if we are the real deal we must show it then, and we did account for them earlier in the year, but lose that badly and I honestly think questions will be asked of the team…

Yeah I think it was more favourable in terms of when they got to play the likes of Collingwood and Richmond - that being earlier in the year. However, you can only play the draw you are given.

Exactly right. Coming into the season our draw actually looked really tough, with Collingwood, Melbourne (Prelim finalists the previous year), Adelaide away as our first three. Looking at it now yes we got the Pies early, and the other two didn’t end up being much this year

1 Like

Friday: Geelong v west coast - I want West coast to play in a preliminary final against Richmond at The MCG. If west coast win over Geelong at the mcg, will they come back to Perth and train ahead before flying to Melbourne?

1 Like

Speculation on who the identity is can be found online; believe that some media are reporting it as well.

Edit 6:06PM - has just been named by The Age as Danny Frawley.

Top story on Seven and Nine Melbourne with Seven confirming it’s sadly Danny Frawley who died and running a tribute package.Nine hasn’t confirmed it as yet.

Edit-
Confirmed on Nine at 6:11pm with tribute package airing.

1 Like

Absolutely terrible news :cry:

Been watching Bounce for a few years and he was great on there

3 Likes

Understandably the main point of discussion on Melbourne talk radio at the moment. On SEN, Andy Maher and Craig Hutchison is joining Sam McClure, who is now taking calls from listeners. Sportsday on 3AW doing the same - just spoke to Tony Shaw.

1 Like

What tragic news was just listening to his sacked interview yesterday.

1 Like

Devastating news.
There will be a tribute to Danny Frawley on AFL360 on Fox Footy tonight.

Update: joint statement from Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Head of Fox Sports Australia Peter Campbell (via Mr TV Australia Twitter):

3 Likes