AFL

True about SI but Taylor walker has more inside 50s.

And by more I50’s you mean nearly double Hawkims too!!
AA team merely an opinion based thing, you can tell Cameron Ling is on the selection committee if Hawkins is getting picked.
Find it interesting that @John.S is suggesting he had the most inside 50’s anyway, wouldn’t have thought that would be the key stat for a full forward- highlights another flaw in this team. Would have thought a CHF (like Walker for example) would be having more inside 50’s. Im not suggesting Walker belongs in the team either, he’d make a 3rd or 4th team if there were such a thing.

2 Likes

you were pretty much spot on apart from the swap of the Sydney match and the Brissy game. Well Done!!!

Of the Rising Star award’s judges, Luke Darcy gave five votes to Port Adelaide’s Connor Rozee, and four votes to Walsh. Darcy was ridiculed on social media for his decision as all other judges gave five votes to Walsh. Rozee came second in the award with Richmond’s Sydney Stack third.
Sam Walsh also won Best First-Year Player at last night’s AFL Players Association Awards.

1 Like

I noticed a few rumblings on Facebook about the AFL Legends game being played tonight, one had a screenshot of the score being 202 vs 192 with a few minutes to go.

I don’t even really follow the AFL and I know that’s a bizarrely high score.

Lots of roasting on Twitter about the game being played in the AFLX format on a square pitch…and the 17 people who turned up in the crowd.

It’s turned from being a light hearted charity event into a total farce.

I’ve seen more people at AAMI at a Storm match where the pitch was closer to a swimming pool than a surface. They couldn’t even hide the poor crowds through framing: the half time performance by Picket Palace was set in front of a section that was maybe half empty.

Byron Cooke’s display of tremendous failure in front of goal was far too human compared with the rest of the night. It felt honestly alien to see a cruel mockery of a sport that is meant to be so significant to the Foundation and to Whitten’s legacy.

Whether the blame lies with the AFL or the charity (who organise the event) is yet to be seen. Heads should roll.

1 Like

The AFLX format explained the very high scoring for the match.
The low attendance was not helped by the chilly weather tonight in Melbourne and the railway power upgrade in the CBD, which led to nine of the city’s railway lines replaced by buses from tonight until first train on Monday.

1 Like

I think you’re being far too kind.

Especially since the train works didn’t start until after 11:30 on most lines

Has to be the AFL. Ever since they basically dictated that the match move from a succesful midweek midyear timeslot the crowds have plummeted, interest has waned in keeping with the unnecessary pre finals bye, the game has probably been more contrived than ever before, and the money raised by the foundation would surely be either down or propped up by corporates looking for a tax break. It needs to go back to the midyear, to the format that made it successful (nobody likes AFLX), and perhaps even going back to the original venue in 1996 now that the lights are up to standard, Whitten Oval. In fact this was the first year I’ve not taken any interest in many years and I’m not the only one.

2 Likes

I was at the game last night and I did enjoy myself but I would like to see more of the celebs in the game in the future like Steve Price and Lehmo. They made the game enjoyable!!! What I itwasn’t too pleased with was the rigging by the organisers who stopped showing the clock as the game got close same thing with the broadcast and at the stadium so that it could be a draw and a shootoff. i didn’t like that as it seemed to just wreck the whole night.

Spectators could also only enter the stadium through one gate and they wouldn’t let you sit on the side of the stadium where cameras were filming from too. We would have liked to stay for the whole match but left after one kick in the shoot off as we had to get our train or would have had to wait 40 minutes for the next train. This was because they did add the additional minutes onto the clock to allow a draw which resulted in a late finish.

1 Like

I know it won’t happen, but a shootoff could be an interesting concept if scores are still level after extra time in an AFL finals game. Not sure what they do in that case now? Or maybe an NRL style “golden point” concept.

1 Like

But Rugby and Soccer are Played there Regularly.

And they are sports played on a rectangle field, funnily enough

1 Like

Extra time. 2010 will be the last ever drawn grand final (unless the AFL in their infinite wisdom change the rules again)

So you mean that there’s more extra time if the scores are level after extra time?

I totally misread your post, whoops. However, my answer is still somewhat correct :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s now two periods of extra time - 5 minutes, plus time on, with the direction of play changing for each period. If there’s still a tie, there’s an untimed golden point period

3 Likes

I really hope that one golden point gets decided by a rushed behind…

1 Like

It was played as AFLX.

2 Likes

Is it true Matthew Pavlich and Jason Dunstall are apart of the review process of the Adelaide football club? Find it a bit convenient if they are. Both work with Mark Ricciuto at Fox Footy.