AFL

As tweeted by SBS last night, the basketball court is propped about 1m above Marvel’s playing surface, so the grass shouldn’t suffer much damage.

And the thousands of seats surrounding it on the playing surface are not, same deal as a concert. I really have no idea why the EJ match is being played as AFLX at a rectangular stadium, just tried to offer a few ideas as to why it may have been planned that way.

1 Like

Won’t be able to see anything unless you’re in one of those plastic chairs on the ground

Great game, but FFS Essendon :neutral_face: I agonisingly stuck with this hoping for something over an exciting session of Ashes for the Aussies

1 Like

How good is AFL

I wouldn’t be too upset. Essendon played well. And with some rest and some players coming back they might give Collingwood a scare in the first week of finals.

1 Like

At least we’re locked in the finals

1 Like

It really frustrates me watching games involving West Coast. Just hearing the constant boos. The first one was because the crowd thought a West Coast player marked the ball when in fact it was a Hawthorn player. Clearly the Hawthorn player marked it. The second one was because the umpire recalled the bounce. Seriously. It is frustrating.

I saw West Coast v Hawthorn game on Seven last night. Hawthorn pressured the Eagles for the entire game and didn’t give the home side many scoring chances. I think it is the Hawks’ best win for 2019.
West Coast will need Brisbane to beat Richmond today if they want to stay in the top four.

In other news, GWS’ Jeremy Cameron has won this year’s Coleman Medal after kicking 9.5 in his team’s big win over Gold Coast last night.

Obviously not set in stone but looks like it will be:

Geelong v Collingwood
Brisbane v Richmond
West Coast v Essendon
GWS v Bulldogs

1 Like

That line up is confirmed after Richmond beat Brisbane this afternoon.

3 Likes

WEEK 1 FINALS SCHEDULE
EF 1: WC vs ESS, Thurs Night
QF1: GEEL vs COLL, Fri Night
EF2: GWS vs DOGS, Sat 3:10 EST
QF 2: BRIS vs RICH, Sat Night

1 Like

AFL site lists that match as 3:20

2 Likes

Brisbane’s Lachie Neale was named The Age Footballer of the Year for 2019 while Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli won this year’s Herald Sun Player of the Year. Both are among favourites to take out this year’s Brownlow Medal.

Also this season set a new attendance record.

2 Likes

I think it is time for Mark Ricciuto to make a decision whether he wants to be in the media or a football director. Too many occasions this year has he made comments that has put unnecessary pressure on the club and now its the supporters. Fair enough these comments coming from a media commentator but not your football director.

If anyone gets a chance listen to the podcast Sacked. There is an interview with Mark Williams and he discusses his time at Port and being sacked and also mentions the personnel that left at the end of 2004 and the fact that a lot ended up at Hawthorn. Really interesting listen. Even goes to discuss in 2007 he was asked to coach Essendon, the week leading to the Grand Final, and that the job was essential his. Turns out he wasn’t told Matthew Knights had the job and apparently Essendon had told 3 people the same thing. Another interesting take was the GWS time and that he was promised the senior coaching role. Give it a listen if you get a chance.

2 Likes

The 2019 All-Australian Team was announced tonight. There are nine new faces. The big omissions are Gary Ablett Jr. and Dustin Martin.

1 Like

Might be a bit biased but I think Travis Boak should have been in the team. I think he has been better than Pendlebury and Kelly. Also don’t think Tom Hawkins should be in the team. Not really sure he has had an influencial season to be in there. But again I am not an expert on these players so if others disagree please give some stats to tell me why.

1 Like

Most I50s, most direct score involvements of any of the big key forwards. Very much deserved.

Carlton’s Patrick Cripps has won this year’s AFL Players Association MVP award, as voted by fellow players.

1 Like