AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Does this mean I can finally switch off notifications for this thread :star_struck:

3 Likes

Will it mean there won’t be any Thursday night matches in the final 7/8 rounds of the home and away season? This is one point to look for when the AFL creates the fixture for the following year.

My guess is that Seven will be able to show Sunday afternoon matches even during the mid-season bye when there is often only one match on the day. Under the current deal, Seven cannot show the Sunday afternoon match during the bye, unless it involves at least one non-Victorian team, in which case it will be broadcast into that team’s home state(s).

It just means that the AFL can’t guarantee more than 15 in a season until the new players agreement is signed, because one 5 day break per team doesn’t give them much flexibility.

The key word was “at least”, which means that they can always increase it.

3 Likes

I’m hoping that a Talking Footy revival, or several other new Footy programs will emerge from Seven to address one of AFL’s complaints towards them.

Kerry Stokes also mentioned about technology improving over time, so it’d be nice if they try to evolve and innovate the coverage, and how it can be enjoyed.

4K streaming on 7+ would also be great, but that I’m not so hopeful of happening.

BT will be roaming for many more years to come. :microphone:

Networks aren’t even doing full 1080p yet let alone 4K.

1 Like

I also hope Seven and Foxtel use the next broadcast deal to regenerate their commentary teams. I am pretty sure that not all members of the 2022 commentary teams will still be there at the end of 2031. Starting recruiting current and former AFL players (like what they do with AFLW coverage right now) and nurture them.

4 Likes

I forgot that Seven would need to produce their coverage in 4K on the grounds as well, so then it would be televised in 1080p FTA but 4K online, oops. :dotted_line_face:

What is the full resolution of 7HD?

Well, then hopefully Kayo gets 4K, but they will most likely keep that locked to Foxtel.

Hope 7 gets the tennis back. It’s the traditional home of tennis. But that’s for another time and another forum :smiley:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Nine have been doing a better job with the tennis than seven were towards the end

6 Likes

Well, after months of endless speculation, we’ve reached a conclusion.

Now What Nemo GIFs | Tenor

But one bit puzzles me

Foxtel and Seven were forced to pay significantly more than anyone imagined due to Channel Ten and Paramount’s eye-watering bid of $6 billion over 10 years.

I thought it was a “slient auction”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Believe 7/Fox would have had a right of reply. So once “final bids” were in, they could counter the best bid (which they did)

3 Likes

mods, feel free to move to the Olympics thread

Yes, but I think Paramount would want (mostly) worldwide rights with there being one massive deal with CBS/10/5/Paramount+. It is very hard to do now seeing as most of the world already have rights for 2024, and Paramount does not have rights in any of those.

This is why I think Nine will get 2024-2032 Olympics, as:

• ABC have slowly lost funding to the point where there is no sport
  • SBS basically only show bike riding
  • Paramount would want rights in multiple countries
  • Seven just spent a huge amount on AFL, cannot see them paying billions more for Olympics
2 Likes

Hasn’t 7 already got the 2024 games?

1 Like

Thank God!!!

5 Likes

So if 10 offered 6b but 7/Fox offered 4.5b, why go with Seven and Fox then? 10 would have added the benefit of flexibility as the sole broadcaster

1 Like

You need to remember Seven (most likely) won’t be renewing its Cricket rights.

Cricket / Tennis / Olympics and Horse Racing are all up for grabs soon.

Kerry Stokes loves the olympics. He’ll want 2032.

2 Likes

7news Melbourne

3 Likes

This is different to the announcement where super Saturday was only rounds 1-8

3 Likes