AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Assuming Rounds 1 to 8 Super Saturday will be nation wide exclusively live (hold backs)

Rounds 9-15 Super Saturday. Exclusively live Victoria with local teams (outside Vic) to be live on 7.

4 Likes

The AFL probably think they can make up the $1.5b difference in the 3 years this deal doesn’t cover.

10 could’ve grown AFL with its coverage

1 Like

10’s offer was reported to be over 10 years, 7/Foxtel’s arrangement is over 7 years. It was 10’s offer that reportedly saw the current broadcasters increase their bids to the $4.5 billion the AFL have secured.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m so happy Foxtel have retained the rights, and now have a better deal than what is currently offered. I do wait eagerly to see how they (And Seven as well) improve their coverage, Fox need to update their programming, as do 7, and hire some more personnel to cover all 9 matches.

You can’t have someone like Dwayne Russell calling 3 games a weekend in addition to his other media commitments, it’s time to promote some other talent within the network, or poach some from radio. I’m a little sick of the current line up, and the over-reliance on the networks stars like Brown, Riewoldt, Lyon, Loughnan etc.

Exciting times ahead for Channel 504, and 503 :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, particularly in the NRL states.

1 Like

I wonder if Fox will get their own commentators from 2023, and 7+ get streaming rights from 2023 too. It sounds like the broadcasters might bring some of these changes forward rather than waiting 2 years.

1 Like

I’m glad FOX still have rights, I’m still not convinced that streaming is reliable enough for large numbers of viewers.

1 Like

Most of the footy forums think this deal is a disaster and can’t stand the fact there has been no increase in free to air and the sub par coverage in terms of commentary that 7/fox provide. The coverage will continue to be primitive in the years to come as they cut costs to pay for the rights. I wonder how long it will take for 7 to sue the AFL given their track record.

In saying all of that… the money figure is good ajd shows how had the NRL rights deal is. Not even in the frame. Peter V’landys signed a horrendous deal with the 9 and fox.

9 won’t be involved with fox in the future.

4 Likes

It’s a great deal for the AFL financially to extract that number, given the way broadcast and media is heading.

For the broadcasters I’m not convinced it’s great for the amount they’ve paid - nine years is a long time. Consider the landscape in 2013 v now and what it might look like by 2031.

7 Likes

Nup all from 2025.

When the NRL clubs see the AFL deal they should want V’Landys removed from the ARL commission

V’landys is all talk and no action. He’s been a disaster and a the worst commission chair. He acts more like a CEO rather than a chairman who should be above the day to day fray. The NRL have signed the worse tv rights deals year after year given the stranglehold of News Corp over rugby league. They’ve never gone to tender in a transparent way. For a major sport they’ve never attracted the money they could command.

As for the AFL, they took the money but really didn’t handle this properly. They needed more free to air and less reliant on foxtel. 7 are the chewing gum on the foot of foxtel. A submissive media company that seem to love simulcast deals because they cannot monetize rights on their own.

3 Likes

V’Landys is a smart operator, i dont think he was involved in the last NRL rights deal?

I think he’ll get the NRL a better deal next time round in light of the AFL deal.

In the press conference, Gil hinted that it could happen.

I know nothing has been agreed to yet, but as we saw with Telstra letting Kayo stream on phones after shutting down AFL live pass, and Ch7 letting Kayo take the clean 504 feed (both happening during the current rights period), there is precedence for these changes to occur if both parties want it to happen.

1 Like

This just appeared on the ABC NSW 7pm news re AFL rights deal.

So the value of the rights has gone up 3,215 times in 51 years!

9 Likes

V’Landys led the negotiation that gave 9 and Fox massive discounts in May 2020, and extended with Fox for 7 years without going to market.

He’s the dumbest of operators, don’t believe the self promotion.

6 Likes

This is the most accurate comment of the day. The NRL is poorly run and undervalued. They have no fucking idea what they’re doing.

The only thing going for the AFL is the money they’re getting despite the poor terms for viewers.

3 Likes

Even if 10/Paramount or 9/Stan got the right, I doubt we would see an increase in FTA games.

If there was an increase, It would have probably been 3 games during the three-bye rounds & 4 for the rest. Which is about 12 extra games than what 7 are broadcasting now.

• 3.87 games per round vs 3.35 games that 7 are broadcasting
1 Like