AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

that tweet says 9:08 am this morning

It’s not mainly the actual match coverage (comms, pictures, etc) per se, but mainly the amount of coverage on FTA. (not saying that their coverage is amazing but its not bad overall).

2 Likes

5.08pm this evening it was uploaded 20 minutes ago.

That assumes though that Nine wouldn’t do something similar in order to ‘protect’/push people towards Stan Sport. Considering what they’ve done with other rights, it wouldn’t be completely out of the question.

I wouldn’t consider a bid which is lower than another reported bid (the details of which I linked to above) as a “declaration of war”. Indeed (assuming the AFR article I linked to is correct), it’s a non-starter.

Not really. If Seven decides to ditch cricket in order to go after regaining the Australian Open rights, there’s $75 million a year they can put towards that. It probably won’t be hard to find anywhere between $5 millon and $25 million more if the next AO rights approach near $100 million a year.

We know what certain people/parties want their rivals (and to a lesser extent, the public) to know. We don’t know what is actually going on.

1 Like

I’ve stated my thoughts about both Seven and Foxtel here previously, so I won’t go and recap it all again for everyone’s sake.

I both like and dislike aspects of Seven and Foxtel’s coverage, and feel a refresh (if it remains with them) would benefit their productions, as it has felt the same in some aspects. And I do feel that a change in broadcasters could be beneficial to keep the game and presentation fresh.

Some people may want to see a demise in Foxtel, but I somewhat have a soft spot for them since the Digital/iQ days as it peaked my interest in branding and identity, plus I don’t mind paying for Kayo, though I heavily dislike the reported plans for this new agreement, despite beginning to warm to the retention of the existing arrangement.

I like Seven as well, but a possible change to Nine would be interesting to see.

Yes, I am aware.

Clicking the link says 5:08pm (AWST) for me, could be an issue with the timezone detection when linking externally.

7 Likes

Great meme!

2 Likes

But that’s what I mean… why bother from the start? Clearly it shows that the overseas owner (Paramount) doesn’t understand their local position in the Australian market.

4 Likes

I don’t know much about AFL journalism but he doesn’t seem like someone who would be high enough up the chain to be in the loop with the latest news anyway…

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

Could be the case yes, though thought to quote it just in case since it’s from SEN WA.

1 Like

Kim Hagdorn has a pretty notorious reputation amongst WA footy fans for constantly getting things wrong. He was let go from 6PR and then was also let go from a community sports radio station due to an audience backlash. That, and the fact he’s now on SEN WA should probably tell you all you need to know about his credibility!

3 Likes

Edit: A small tibit:

https://twitter.com/JakeNiallTHEAGE/status/1566720149100834818?t=V_kInx-ynZJ-yP6HVBCIMA&s=19

8 Likes

According to the article Jake Niall referred to in his tweet (he co-wrote the article with business reporters Colin Kruger and Zoe Samios), the new deal could be worth up to $3.12 billion over six years or $3.64m over seven years. The article said that Paramount and Foxtel representatives were at AFL headquarters in Melbourne today for the silent bid process, while Seven made a bid remotely.

6 Likes

:flushed: Pretty significant increase if true…

Good to hear that Paramount/10 was present at the “silent auction” physically.

And pictured too!

2 Likes

•7news Melbourne reported that the AFL went next door to meet with 7 at their Melbourne building to meet with James Warburton & Lewis Martin.
•They also showed 10/Paramount leaving the AFL headquarters
• Also that 7 & AFL are still discussing in the 7 building (when they went to air?)

3 Likes

RIP to the MS mods, this is what I was just faced with, after already a further 20-30 this morning: :hot_face:

6 Likes

You’ll hate opening the ACA thread then

5 Likes

Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified thinks that Foxtel/7 will maintain the rights.

1 Like

Here’s what Caroline Wilson revealed on Footy Classified tonight:

• Channel 10/Paramount have departed the main race at the moment
  • Caro believes one reason Gillon McLachlan was in WA was to tell Kerry Stokes to “up the ante”
  • She believes it will stay with the incumbent, albeit Nine’s bid is strong and serious
  • A decision is imminent – within a fortnight there could be news on a 19th team in Tasmania, new stadium deal in Tasmania, and extended media rights deal
  • Northern states are furious about losing FTA games for their teams every week
  • Club chiefs (presumably in northern states) want new membership deals where members get reduced Kayo memberships to watch their teams
11 Likes

yes, off topic, but relevant for a reply to “Nicholas”

I think you’re right :flushed:

–

She couldn’t have been more wrong about Al Clarkson going to Essendon :joy: So…

5 Likes

For those who missed it, here’s the Footy Classified segment you’re referring to:

7 Likes