AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

I wouldn’t be able too, especially from WA!

2 Likes

Yes fully aware of how it works.

Just worded it incorrectly, what I was trying to say, is, I hope the AFL are giving 10 the same kind of leverage to get their bid in line with the AFL.

All the news seems to be about Seven/fox and how they aren’t working together and changing their bids, either adding or taking out certain things eg super Saturday, but very minimal on the ten bid, and what might be required to adjust or change.

For me this seems more like the AFL wanting to stay with Fox/seven, and have them come closer to what the ten deal could like. Again this is just speculation on my behalf.

2 Likes

Jason Om’s report on the AFL broadcast rights

3 Likes

So is Paramount going to have all games free on 10 if it gets the rights?

1 Like

No, if Paramount gets the rights, I expect the AFL matches will get similar treatment to A-League coverage on 10 and Paramount+ but with more flexibility, on top of guaranteed number of matches on FTA each round.

6 Likes

Flexibility has to be one of the major benefits to a 10/P+ bid, especially with the league going back to a more fixed draw next year.

9 Likes

100%. It makes so much sense having the one network as the broadcaster, Instead of having to compromise and please two managements you only need to work with the one company.

9 Likes

Also much easier to put games behind a pay wall.
Bypasses the anti siphoning legislation

2 Likes

The broadcasters do a lot more than just broadcast the game. They are largely responsible for promoting the sport, generating interest in games during the season, and bringing in new and casual fans to the sport. If a broadcaster doesn’t have the rights, there’s no incentive to do this. The Premier League and NFL have multiple broadcasters and they can completely dominate the airwaves during the season.

Certain media companies have larger audience reach and more people watching their TV channels, media platforms, and streaming services than others. If you were to give all the rights to one broadcaster it makes no sense to give it Paramount.

No FTA network has ever broadcast all of the AFL games in a round.

There is no way the AFL would agree to only 1 FTA game per week.
If 10/Paramount+ get the rights there will most likely be a Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday arvo game on 10

3 Likes

That’s why I emphasise more flexibility, on top of guaranteed number of matches on FTA each round.

So for example, viewers will still get four matches per week on 10 with other matches exclusive on P+, but the timeslots could be different from week to week apart from Friday night, depending on matchups and ladder positions.

1 Like

The Jake Niall/Zoe Samios reporting from Nine suggests no matter who has the rights, it’s unlikely there will be additional matches on FTA.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s logistically possible to achieve all 9 games on FTA each week, yet alone having the appropriate personnel for each match. Fox Footy produce 6 games a week and they only just have enough personnel to provide commentary to the games. 7 couldn’t achieve this given they have less people than Fox do, and if Paramount were to somehow acquire the rights, they won’t be able too either unless they poach from both 7 and Fox.

Well if 10/Paramount acquire the rights, Fox and 7 will no longer have the footy so I suspect there will be a few commentators looking to cross over to 10. They will follow what they have done with the Soccer commentary team with most of Fox crossing over and some new faces/voices as well

6 Likes

Than why does Nine have more football programs than Seven? They do more promotion for the game than any other free to air network.

3 Likes

Would be cool to see Anthony Hudson under the same roof as Stephen Quartermain again. I didn’t watch the footy (except for the 06’ and 11’ Grand Finals) on Ten, so it would be nice to experience it myself.

And while there are criticisms of their commentary, Kelli Underwood also used to be on Ten.

4 Likes

Because it lets them sell footy related ads and makes the network money. That’s it.

Making footy shows costs money. The talent costs are expensive for the best hosts and experts and then the production team required. Studio. Gfx. Make up. Producers. It all adds up.

Bit of a stretch. Two late night panel programs and an off-broadway Sunday Footy Show hardly justifies your point! But I get it, at least they have shows unlike Seven.

But Seven’s coverage overall is bigger, longer in duration (ie. press conferences, post and prematch shows, etc) and they actually broadcast matches which provides more promotion than Nine’s 3 shows.