AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Hope 7 gets the tennis back. It’s the traditional home of tennis. But that’s for another time and another forum :smiley:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Nine have been doing a better job with the tennis than seven were towards the end

6 Likes

Well, after months of endless speculation, we’ve reached a conclusion.

Now What Nemo GIFs | Tenor

But one bit puzzles me…

Foxtel and Seven were forced to pay significantly more than anyone imagined due to Channel Ten and Paramount’s eye-watering bid of $6 billion over 10 years.

I thought it was a “slient auction”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Believe 7/Fox would have had a right of reply. So once “final bids” were in, they could counter the best bid (which they did)

3 Likes

mods, feel free to move to the Olympics thread

Yes, but I think Paramount would want (mostly) worldwide rights with there being one massive deal with CBS/10/5/Paramount+. It is very hard to do now seeing as most of the world already have rights for 2024, and Paramount does not have rights in any of those.

This is why I think Nine will get 2024-2032 Olympics, as:

• ABC have slowly lost funding to the point where there is no sport
  • SBS basically only show bike riding
  • Paramount would want rights in multiple countries
  • Seven just spent a huge amount on AFL, cannot see them paying billions more for Olympics
2 Likes

Hasn’t 7 already got the 2024 games?

1 Like

Thank God!!!

5 Likes

So if 10 offered 6b but 7/Fox offered 4.5b, why go with Seven and Fox then? 10 would have added the benefit of flexibility as the sole broadcaster

1 Like

You need to remember Seven (most likely) won’t be renewing its Cricket rights.

Cricket / Tennis / Olympics and Horse Racing are all up for grabs soon.

Kerry Stokes loves the olympics. He’ll want 2032.

2 Likes

7news Melbourne

3 Likes

This is different to the announcement where super Saturday was only rounds 1-8

3 Likes

Assuming Rounds 1 to 8 Super Saturday will be nation wide exclusively live (hold backs)

Rounds 9-15 Super Saturday. Exclusively live Victoria with local teams (outside Vic) to be live on 7.

4 Likes

The AFL probably think they can make up the $1.5b difference in the 3 years this deal doesn’t cover.

10 could’ve grown AFL with its coverage

1 Like

10’s offer was reported to be over 10 years, 7/Foxtel’s arrangement is over 7 years. It was 10’s offer that reportedly saw the current broadcasters increase their bids to the $4.5 billion the AFL have secured.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m so happy Foxtel have retained the rights, and now have a better deal than what is currently offered. I do wait eagerly to see how they (And Seven as well) improve their coverage, Fox need to update their programming, as do 7, and hire some more personnel to cover all 9 matches.

You can’t have someone like Dwayne Russell calling 3 games a weekend in addition to his other media commitments, it’s time to promote some other talent within the network, or poach some from radio. I’m a little sick of the current line up, and the over-reliance on the networks stars like Brown, Riewoldt, Lyon, Loughnan etc.

Exciting times ahead for Channel 504, and 503 :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, particularly in the NRL states.

1 Like