ABC Sports Broadcasting

All the coverage is produced by the NBL. So Fox, like SBS and ABC take the NBL’s coverage.

1 Like

Golf: Women’s Australian Open 2018

Coverage of the ISPS HANDA Women’s Australian Open Golf Tournament. This is the
premier women’s sporting event in Australia, and this year moves to Kooyonga Golf Club in Adelaide.

3:00pm Thursday 15 February
3:00pm Friday, 16 February
1:00pm Saturday 17 February

According to online guides, today’s final round of Women’s Australian Open golf is being shown live around the country from 1.30pm AEDT. It is a small improvement from last few years when the final round was shown on delay in QLD, SA, WA and NT.

1 Like

Melbourne United will clash with Adelaide 36ers for the NBL title in the best of five Grand Final series starting next week. As at least two games are on Friday nights they will be replayed on ABC at late night. Fox Sports will show all the finals live.
Grand Final Schedule (all local times in AEDT):
Game 1 - Melbourne United vs Adelaide 36ers - 7:30pm Friday, March 16 at Hisense Arena
Game 2 - Adelaide 36ers vs Melbourne United - 3:00pm Sunday, March 18 at Titanium Security Arena
Game 3 - Melbourne United vs Adelaide 36ers - 7:30pm Friday, March 23 at Hisense Arena
Game 4 - TBC
Game 5 - TBC

EDIT 1: game 1 of the NBL Grand Final will be replayed on Saturday, March 17 at 12.25am nationally.
EDIT 2: game 2 will be simulcast live nationally on SBS on Sunday, March 18 from 3pm AEDT.

Eddie McGuire’s JAM TV will produce ABC’s coverage of the Invictus Games in October.

Vic Open Golf (women’s and men’s) and Women’s Australian Open coming up on consecutive weeks in February.

In his column today, Crispin Hull has called for the ABC’s coverage of sport to end on both TV and radio.

I think Crispin’s article is wrong and ignores many things:

1. the ABC is the only network to broadcast AFL and NRL into every state and territory through the combination of Local Radio, News Radio, digital radio and online
  2. the ABC is the only network to broadcast every Olympic and Commonwealth Games into every state and territory since its foundation in 1929
  3. the ABC covers many sports often ignored by commercial networks locally, e.g. women’s sports, winter sports, rowing, triathlon
  4. Commercial radio’s coverage of major sports like cricket, AFL and NRL is not available in some rural areas or remote areas of Australia
  5. Online radio coverage of major sports like cricket, AFL and NRL is out of reach of many regional Australians due to high cost and slow speed of the internet
4 Likes

It’s the usual thing. Journo lives in Sydney and doesn’t even think about people living outside of the Sydney basin.

1 Like

Yes I agree. It’s part of the ABC’s charter to provide this level of sporting coverage for female and niche sports.

I wouldn’t rule out a continued push for this by the commercial broadcasters, especially for AFL and NRL, even cricket. I’d predict in the next round of radio rights the ABC may lose the rights on ABC metro stations, but they would then continue in regional radio areas and online/satellite /VAST etc where there is a lack of commercial coverage.

This addresses your concerns and probably makes for a fairer playing field for the commercial stations in metro areas, and there’s lots of them now ie. Triple M, SEN, Macquarie Sports Radio, Crocmedia.

Metro commercial stations will continue to push for exclusive rights especially in metro areas.

3 Likes

Although Darwin didn’t get a government run radio station until 1945, army radio station 5DR. It was taken over by the ABC in 1947.

He appears to live in Canberra.

1 Like

Under the current cricket radio rights deal, Crocmedia has exclusive commercial rights to broadcast cricket (test, ODI, Twenty20 and men’s BBL) in regional areas, but it seems commercial stations in NT and Tasmania (home state of Hobart Hurricanes BBL team) are reluctant to broadcast cricket matches. I think they would rather play songs and talk shows day and night rather than allocating several hours each day to sporting coverage. This is why ABC Radio’s cricket coverage is so important in these areas.

Re, sports coverage on the ABC: The radio side of things obviously serves a valuable purpose for regional/remote areas which have less stations than the major markets, so longform coverage definitely should continue on Local Radio in the regions unless a commercial radio equivalent of regional TV aggregation (doesn’t seem very likely in the foreseeable future) were to happen.

Radio coverage in metro markets I’m not so sure about, I’d say move it all (except news/current affairs coverage) to Grandstand if it wasn’t for the delay through DAB+/streaming.

I guess sports coverage on television (except for reports during ABC News & Current Affairs programs, etc.) should be left purely to the commercial networks but aside from a few minor events and one-offs, hasn’t ABC-TV all but abandoned longform sports coverage in recent years? You no longer see coverage of state-based football leagues on a Saturday afternoon, for example.

Although not quite a Sydney or Melbourne, even Canberra seems like a decent enough market for local media coverage/diversity (with three local TV news services, an OK variety of radio stations, DAB+ transmissions, an established daily newspaper…) compared to many others in regional/remote Australia.

2 Likes

2019 ISPS Handa Vic Open broadcast times (all times AEDT)
Thursday 7 February: 3:00pm – 6:00pm (NT, WA 2:00pm - 5:00 pm)
Friday 8 February: 3:00pm – 6:00pm (NT, WA 2:00pm - 5:00 pm)
Saturday 9 February: 1:00pm – 7:00pm live nationwide
Sunday 10 February: 1:00pm – 6:00pm live nationwide

1 Like

I’m intetested to see how they handle both the men’s and women’s tournaments occurring simultaneously. I followed a couple of groups around a couple of years back when they first ran it this way but coverage has only been streamed on their website the last few years.

Pleasant change if true. ABC have been gyilty of only going live aedt for golf for a while now.

2 Likes

Is that Todd Woodbridge commentating golf on ABC?

2019 ISPS Handa Women’s Australian Open broadcast times (all times AEDT)
Thursday 14 February: 3:00pm – 6:00pm (live in NSW/ACT/VIC/TAS, delayed in other regions)
Friday 15 February: 3:00pm – 6:00pm (live in NSW/ACT/VIC/TAS/SA; delayed broadcast 2:00pm - 5:00pm in QLD/NT/WA)
Saturday 16 February: 1:00pm – 6:00pm live nationwide
Sunday 17 February: 1:00pm – 6:00pm live nationwide (WA from 10.30am local time after Offsiders)

2 Likes

Corbin Middlemas has moved to Melbourne. Not sure if he is still with Grandstand Radio. I guess that leaves a gap in calling AFL games in NSW.

Was announced during the WBBL final - to call AFL, nothing about leaving the abc.

1 Like

Thanks, I guess they will have as commentators for the AFL this year

Victoria Nicholson, Underwood, Clinch, Middlemas Lithgow

WA Sprigg Wheeldon

SA Peterson, ?

Qld Hull, ?

NSW Drury Forbes, ?