ABC Sports Broadcasting

Didn’t see it. But if that small segment is an indicator… my God. Truly truly awful.

And Tegan H. has been recruited into a new “comedy/sports” show… how original… that will air at 6pm Friday nights on the main ABC channel. Can’t wait for that one… not!

I think that might have been worse!

Catching up on iView, the actual match coverage seems fine.

I didn’t realise this was twitter.

5 Likes

An explanation from the host:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/abc2-coverage-of-liverpool-sydney-fc-host-julian-schiller-has-his-say-on-the-criticised-coverage/news-story/3e2167fc95ff1f9fc8eefd5975fc6a16?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=FoxSportsAus&nk=609854873353a11aa3b3fa77578af97b-1495783691

Reading these bad reviews of the ABC coverage of Liverpool FC v Sydney FC reminded me of some of the biggest trainwrecks of sporting coverage in Australia.

In 2003 The Rugby World Cup was held in Australia. Channel 7 and Fox Sports held the rights and the quality of both broadcasters’ telecasts were very poor. Matches not shown live into Victoria, B-Grade commentators (with the exception of Gordon Bray the voice of Rugby) who wouldn’t be good enough for community radio, Fox Sports not telecasting some matches, lots of technical difficulties, and on one Fox Sports match I watched, no commentators! It was very amateur hour! Had it not been for the Seven and Fox Sports logos I would have been mistaken I was watching Channel 31!

And we shouldn’t forget Channel 9’s woeful coverage of the London 2012 Olympic Games, too much time spent replaying swimming, not covering any more than two minutes on one sport, too much equestrian, lots of studio banter between presenters, and Eddie McGuire calling the Marathon! Stick to footy Eddie!

2 Likes

Heroes

Thursday 31 August at 9.30pm

ABC kicking goals with Heroes, airing later this month

Screening Thursday 31st August at 9.30pm on ABC and ABC iview, Heroes is a celebration of the history-making first AFL Women’s season from its breathtaking opening night through to its dramatic conclusion – as told by football’s new wave of pioneers.

The AFL Women’s competition is at the forefront of an extraordinary transformation taking place in Australian sport. Over eight intense weeks in early 2017, the players of AFLW shook up the masculine sporting landscape with their own style of football, smashed stereotypes and inspired a generation of girls, changing Australian sport and society forever.

Fans around the country flocked to see the newly formed teams go head to head, with the very first AFLW match between Carlton and Collingwood at Princes Park a lock-out. Thousands were turned away!

In such a short season every win and loss is magnified. On top of their training and match day commitments the players juggle work and study. It’s a very different life to an AFL player.

Featuring candid interviews with leading players including; Sarah Perkins, Darcy Vescio, Ellie Blackburn, Daisy Pearce and, captains, coaches and AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, Heroes showcases the drama, passion and dedication of Australia’s first AFL Women’s competition. With exclusive access to the inner sanctum the documentary takes us into the dynamic world of Women’s AFL, and introduces the new Heroes of the game.

Heroes will air during the AFL’s ‘Celebration of Football’ week, which features the AFL Women’s State of Origin match.

Heroes is a Her Films production made with the assistance of the ABC, Screen Australia and Film Victoria.

The 2017-18 W-League fixture will be announced tomorrow (Monday). It will be interesting to see if the ABC keeps the FTA broadcast rights, or if there will be a FTA broadcaster at all. Fox Sports retains the pay-TV rights as part of its new broadcast deal with the FFA.

1 Like

There was an ad for Matildas v Brazil next Saturday arvo after Offsiders early. Should be worth a watch, I find women’s internationals enjoyable and a high standard to watch.

4 Likes

Game 2 is Tues 19/9 at 7.30pm.
Here’s hoping the coverage is better than the last football covered on ABC2…

it looks like the W-League will be exclusive to Fox Sports this time around. Which is a bit of a shame

According to the W-League website, majority of W-League matches on Sundays start at 4.30pm local time. I think the ABC won’t agree to the late start because these matches don’t rate on FTA.

Is Foxtel using some of that government handout for the W-Leauge?

Football: Women’s International Aus vs Brazil

Saturday 16 September at 3:00pm AEST

Australia’s beloved football stars, the Matildas, return home for a two-match series to be broadcast live on ABC on Sat 16 and Tues 19 September.

Earlier this year, the Matildas scored their first ever win over the USA in Seattle, as well as beating Japan 4-2 and Brazil 6-1 on the way to winning the Tournament of Nations. Now the stars of women’s football including Lisa De Vanna, Sam Kerr, Caitlin Foord, Alanna Kennedy, Kyah Simon, Stephanie Catley, Lydia Williams and their Matildas teammates return to Australia for a two-match series in front of home fans.

On Saturday 16 September, the Matildas will face Brazil in front of a sell out crowd from Penrith Stadium in Sydney. Football fans who missed out on tickets will be able to see the match live from 3pm AEST on ABC TV (2.30pm SA & NT, 1pm WA).

Then on Tuesday 19 September, the Matildas travel to Newcastle for the second match in this International Series. ABC2 will bring you primetime football coverage live at 7.30pm AEST (7pm SA & NT). The game will air at 7.30pm local time on ABC2 in WA and live streamed on iview at 5.30pm WA time.

The series against world class opponents Brazil offers fans the perfect chance to see their favourite players.

It’s so good to see that the ABC airing the two International Women’s Football matches in the next week. But at the same time, disappointing, that they will not be airing any upcoming W-League games.

1 Like

The two soccer matches between Australia and Brazil will also be shown live across South East Asia and the Pacific regions on Australia Plus TV.

ABC will be the exclusive Australian broadcaster of the 4th Invictus Games, which will be held in Sydney from 20 to 27 October next year.
http://www.invictusgames2018.org/latest/abc-exclusive-australian-broadcaster/

1 Like

ABC will have two hour highlights of the Presidents Cup golf event from New Jersey next Monday night (October 2) at 11.30pm. IIRC this is the first time since the 2011 event at Royal Melbourne Golf Club (which aired on Nine) that Presidents Cup will be on FTA. Royal Melbourne will host the tournament for the third time, in 2019.

NBL is returning to ABC TV, this time appears to be a late night replay on Fridays. Assuming it will be Fox Sports’ coverage, thought SBS picked this up?

SBS only has rights to Saturday twilight and Sunday afternoon NBL games during the regular season.

What would be the appeal for the ABC then? Or could this be a case of the NBL buying a time slot to gain some exposure?