ABC Sports Broadcasting

All-female commentary team for ABC coverage of W-League Grand Final

An all-female commentary team will call the W-League Grand Final live this Sunday, 11 April, exclusively on ABC Television and ABC iview.

Former Australian player Grace Gill joins W-League presenter Stephanie Brantz in the commentary box at Kogarah’s Jubilee Stadium in Southern Sydney, to call the final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory.

Stephanie Brantz said: “After a fantastic season of the W-League we’re set for one of the most closely contested Grand Finals in its 13-year history. I’m really excited to see how both the young stars and the experienced heads will step up on Sunday.”

Stephanie said she was thrilled to be working with Grace Gill, who was “a star on the football field and in the boardroom and is now emerging as a star of broadcasting.”

Grace Gill said it had been a pleasure working with Stephanie throughout the season. “I’ve long aspired to call a W-League Grand Final,” she said. “To be able to do that with Steph is an exciting end to the season. I’m looking forward to what should be an entertaining game between two quality teams.”

The ABC coverage of the W-League Grand Final is live nationally on ABC TV and ABC iview from 4.00pm (AEST) on Sunday 11 April.

The ABC will also cover the two Matilda matches live from Europe.

Matildas vs Germany kicks off from 12.05am (AEST) on Sunday 11 April and the Matildas vs Netherlands match is from 2.30am (AEST) on Wednesday 14 April. Both matches are on ABC TV and ABC iview.

3 Likes

According to ABC’s online guides, Germany v Australia will be shown on two-hour delay in WA but live in other states and territories.

A shame its not live in WA.

Haven’t ABC3 (ABC Me) been used in the past for the random soccer match? Couldn’t WA air it live on that channel, with the rest of Australia airing in on the main channel?

3 Likes

It’s just a football friendly. Plus, WA viewers can stream the match live on iView from 10pm tomorrow night local time.

Netherlands v Australia however will be shown live across Australia including WA.

1 Like

Is this a mistake or will the ABC & Fox have different commentary teams calling the W-League GF?

From most of the first half there were no graphics - including no score bug.

4 Likes

Westfield and #FOXFOOTBALL. So much for no advertising…

Why does it say GERW though? I thought we were all about having the same names?

I think Fox thought that there would be graphics, but must have only found out when it started. They probably then had to set them up.

This afternoon’s W-League grand final went into extra time, ending with Melbourne Victory claiming a 1-0 win over home team Sydney FC. The ABC’s telecast will now finish at 7pm AEST leading into the news in the eastern states.

The answer is yes. Brenton Speed called the W-League GF for Fox Sports, after commentating Germany v Australia early this morning.

1 Like

Some caps from That Pacific Sports Show

3 Likes

Tomorrow’s (May 1) A-League clash between Brisbane Roar and Wellington Phoenix will not be shown on ABC TV in Tasmania due to state election coverage. The match will be streamed live on iView from 5pm local time.

1 Like

The scheduled A-League game did not air today at the regular 5pm slot. The game (between Western United v Sydney) aired at 2pm instead, and on Fox Sports. So i assume there is no A-League game on the ABC this weekend? Not sure why the game was moved to an earlier slot.

Regular programming is on the ABC from 5-7pm instead (5pm: Anh Doh; 5.30pm: Ask the Doctor; 6pm: Attenborough).

The game aired at the same time on the ABC as on Fox Sports.

1 Like

Thanks. I wasn’t aware it aired at 2pm on the ABC

The match kicked off at 2.35pm AEST because the venue (Mars Stadium in Ballarat) does not have adequate artificial lighting that will allow a night game let alone a 5pm match.

Next Saturday (May 22) ABC TV will show Wellington Phoenix v Western United live at 2pm AEST. It will be the Phoenix’s first home match in NZ this season, after COVID-19 closed the borders between Australia and NZ in March 2020.

3 Likes

ABC TV will simulcast Fox Sports’ coverage of women’s football friendly between Sweden and Australia at Kalmar on Tuesday, June 15 (early morning Wednesday, June 16 in Australia), as well as the match between Denmark and the Matildas on Thursday, June 10 (early morning Friday, June 11 in Australia).

1 Like

Today’s match of the A-League (Melbourne City v Newcastle) has been postponed. At this stage, it looks like the ABC wont be airing any games this weekend.

Edit the ABC are airing the Western United - Melbourne Victory match at the moment

ABC and SBS will split the FTA simulcast of Fox Sports’ coverage of FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers in Kuwait this month. The matches on ABC TV are:
Australia v Kuwait (4.55-7am AEST, Friday 4 June)
Australia v Chinese Taipei (4.55am-7am AEST, Tuesday 12 June)
Australia v Jordan (Wednesday 16 June, kick off time TBC)

2 Likes

SBS only has the Nepal game. The rest are on ABC.
Obviously all also on Fox, for what could be the last time in a while.
Where did you get the info for broadcasts? From the Socceroos Twitter:

1 Like

The 2021 A-League finals begins this weekend with the elimination finals. One finals match per week will be shown on delay on the channels of ABC.

This Saturday (June 12), ABC ME will have delayed broadcast of the elimination final between Central Coast Mariners and Macarthur FC (kick off 7.05pm AEST) from 9.05pm in all states.

UPDATE 17/6:
This Saturday (June 19), ABC ME will show the semi final between Sydney FC and Adelaide United on delay from 9.05pm in all states.

3 Likes

Tomorrow morning (June 16) ABC TV will be showing both the women’s friendly between Sweden and Australia (2.45am AEST kickoff), and the World Cup qualifier between Australia and Jordan (2am AEST kickoff). Since the two matches overlap, ABC TV will air the Matildas game live, to be followed by the Socceroos clash in full from 4.55am AEST.

Fox Sports 503 will show Australia v Jordan live from 1.30am AEST, and Fox Sports 505 will telecast Sweden v Australia live from 2.15am AEST.