ABC Sports Broadcasting

ABC ME will show on delay the A-League grand final between Melbourne City and Sydney FC from AAMI Park this Sunday, June 27, with kickoff at 5.05pm AEST. It will be the last A-League match to air on both Fox Sports and the ABC. A crowd of up to 15,000 will be allowed at the game under the Victorian Government’s easing of COVID restrictions.

1 Like

thank god next year it will be live!

1 Like

Thank god for 10 and Paramount+

I’m sure the ABC would gladly broadcast it live, what a crappy deal they ended up with.

1 Like

ABC ME will replay the match at 9pm local time in all states.

Is Quentin Hull in Tokyo for the Paralympics? I don’t think think they sent anyone for Olympics? Good luck to him if he is.

Quentin Hull is in Tokyo working as media liaison for the Australian team during the Paralympic Games.

2 Likes

Makes sense, now a days you presume they are back in Australia but the more photos he posted started to look like he was there. Just a temporary role? He is not leaving the ABC?

No, just temporary.

2 Likes

We should do a “Where are they now?” of some previous ABC sports broadcasters from the last decade.

Melbourne based, I often wonder where Dan Lonergan end up. Adam White isn’t at ABC anymore either but I think is still at RSN.

Adelaide based Peter Walsh retired I think. Perth based Glenn Mitchell (Karen Tighe’s husband) popped up on MSR cricket coverage briefly and may have even done some 6PR footy at one stage. He had a mental illness which lead to him leaving ABC at the time.

Edit: Feel free to add others. Obviously we know the like of Gerard Whateley (SEN), Kerry O’Keefe (Fox Cricket/Triple M) and the late great Drew Morphett.

Matt Hill was meant to end up at 3aw calling footy but haven’t seen much of him

1 Like

We was actually shown the door at ABC, when they had cut backs. Ended up on 5AA, for a very short period.

1 Like

Still calls the occasional SANFL or SANFLW as part of their digital pass coverage. He actually ran that coverage for a while and was also lead commentator up until recently but has been replaced.

1 Like

Footy Finals

Thursday 30 September at 7:45 pm ABC NEWS

NRL Grand Final Preview

Brittney Kleyn is joined by ABC News reporters in Sydney and Brisbane to preview the NRL Grand Final to be held in Brisbane.

2 Likes

Premiership Glory

Thursday 23 September at 7:45 pm AEST ABC NEWS

Tony Armstrong is joined by ABC News reporters across the country to preview all the action ahead of an historic AFL Grand Final in Perth, between the Melbourne Demons and Western Bulldogs. Demons great Shane Woewodin gives us an insight into preparations, we hear from die-hard fans who won’t be able to cheer on at the ground and ask what is the Melbourne curse?

(also broadcast live on ABC Australia across Asia-Pacific region at this time)

1 Like

The ABC has renewed its broadcast deal with the WNBL, and will show one game from each round on Saturdays at 5pm AEDT, replacing A-League which has gone to 10 and Paramount+.
The 2021/22 WNBL season starts on December 2.
https://wnbl.basketball/blog/news/wnbl-inks-new-broadcast-deal-ahead-of-2021-22-season/

2 Likes

Dan Lonergan was a guest on SEN Overnights last night. Just talking general sport in the phone. I hadn’t heard him on radio in a while. Not sure if that’s a regular stint.

1 Like

ABC’s first televised match of 2021/22 WNBL season is Southside Flyers v Bendigo Spirit this Saturday (December 4) which also happens to be the season opener. There are only two matches in Round 1.
More changes to WNBL season fixture are likely, due to WA’s border restrictions to other states.

UPDATE: the ABC’s Match of the Week will also be broadcast live across Asia-Pacific region on ABC Australia at 5pm AEDT Saturdays, starting from December 4.

2 Likes

The 2021/22 WNBL finals series start this Thursday (March 24) with two best of three semi-finals: Minor premiers Melbourne Boomers host Adelaide Lightning before Perth Lynx play against UC Capitals. This Saturday’s ABC TV broadcast is game 2 between Boomers and Lightning, with the other semi-finals streaming live on iView.

UPDATE 7/4: ABC TV will show the third and deciding game in the WNBL grand final series between Perth Lynx and Melbourne Boomers this Saturday live at 5pm AEST, after Boomers won game 2 in Perth last night. The Boomers are attempting to win their first title in 10 years and Perth looking to land their first since 1992.

1 Like

3 Likes