ABC Sports Broadcasting

I think the women’s playoff continued to air in non daylight saving states, because Quentin Hull’s commentary can be heard on the clip showing the playoff winner on Twitter.

I’, assumong that Quentin Hull’s commentary was on Fox, no?

Outrage on Twitter

ABC really in the dark ages. Just not acceptable in the multichannel era.

1 Like

I think the ABC lacks experience in dealing with sporting events going overtime because they don’t broadcast sports quite often. The simplest solution would have been showing the playoff on ABC Comedy but then others would complain.

I think that was the world (ie only) feed, hence the “some Australian viewers”.

Is still ABC Kids at that time, can’t upset nighttime routines! Maybe iView would be better, not sure of the technical requirements to switch over though

1 Like

What’s not acceptable is sports not starting their event early enough to ensure it finishes before 7:00pm Sydney/Melbourne time. If they want their sport televised and the ABC comes to the party then they need to accept that the ABC has to show the news at 7:00pm and that a sport overrun is not a good enough exception to delay the news.

Indeed, ABC KIDS was extended to 7.30pm when the ABC2 > ABC COMEDY relaunch happened.

Presumably ABC ME is seen as being the “safest” option (since 23 is usually the lowest rating) although compared to the other networks, all of the ABC’s multichannels are rather genre-specific.

This was a unique circumstance though. While playoffs on the final day of a golf tournament aren’t uncommon, having a four hole playoff is rare

But they have another channel for news.

Or move the golf at 7pm to ABC News 24.

Is there a reason why ABC has to show the news at 7pm? Even if the event isn’t over?

Take with grain of salt.

Rumour is that ABC are looking to exit broadcast service at the end of the A-League season and move it to iView only as their are issue with the way Fox Sports do self promotion during game play and frequent request to Fox Sports to tone it down has fallen on deaf ears and ABC went as far as to ask for clean feed and was rejected by Fox Sports.

This has been one giant cock up and ABC are not happy at all.

This does not affect men’s internationals and woman’s side of the game.

1 Like

It looks pretty clean. From iView, the only difference to the broadcast version is the watermark:

1 Like

It’s.not a clean feed there is still Fox Sports and Foxtel spots (digital advertising) which were supposed to be removed for the ABC feed but are not.

As I said it’s a rumour at this stage, the authenticity is there you just have to find it.

You will have to post some screenshots of exactly what these digital advertising spots are.

1 Like

Digital advertising inserts around goal posts.

The international feed gets those as well though…

3 Likes

I’d heard that those advertising spots were FFA controlled - Foxtel offers up the technology to do it (similar to the NRL)

Are the ABC really in a position to be judgy about it though? They’ve picked the rights up for next to nothing

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the ABC arent happy with the ratings either (mind you, it’s the arsehole timeslot of the round) - the fact they are willing to bump it to ABCme in favour of other sport says lots

5 Likes

The Invictus Games had Jaguar and Land Rover logos everywhere and the hosts mentioned the sponsors. The ABC seems to generally have no problem with incidental advertising they can’t control.

7 Likes

I can only say that it’s an issue within that broadcast operation and that they have asked for a clean feed twice now and also for Fox Sports to tone down the commontary spots,Fox Sports twice rejected the ABC on this.

The Invictus games was a once off event and not weekly so that is another thing bit the ABC are also not happy about a few other things which cant be mentioned here.

1 Like