ABC News (Radio)

perhaps qld election will be on ABC extra

ABC News is broadcasting A-League as normal, no coverage of Queensland state election.

The audio is on ABC Local Radio Qld, vision & audio on ABC 24 which is nationally on DTV and online.

The ABC have reverted back to the NewsRadio name this week.

5 Likes

It made no sense to get rid of the ‘NewsRadio’ branding in the first place

2 Likes

Wasn’t the “relaunched” station referred to as “ABC News on radio” or something awkward like that while all the old NewsRadio theme music was kept?

It makes sense for the announcers to say ‘abc news radio’ while the logo remains the standard ABC News logo - no one is going to know it as ABC News on radio.

Now, how about the finally start using the same theme music as the news channel

3 Likes

This Saturday night ABC NewsRadio in Victoria will broadcast the NRL clash between Melbourne Storm and Wests Tigers, while other states will get the A-League game between Sydney FC and Brisbane Roar.

why the bloody hell is abc newsradio broadcasting soccer?

the proliferation of long form programming on newsradio is a joke and they have almost killed the “dive in and dive out” selling point of the station.

shows like the ticket, hoof on the till and Q&A have really diminished the usefulness of newsradio.

Newsradio was a fantastic resource when it was rolling news between 5:30am and midnight. now i don’t know i’f i’m getting news, the football (and i know they have broadcast AFL in Queensland for years) or some sports show.

1 Like

NewsRadio is broadcasting A-League this season due to ABC Local Radio’s commitments to the summer of cricket, AFLW and the upcoming Commonwealth Games. It also gives listeners in NT and Tasmania to hear A-League on analogue radio for the very first time. I am sure the arrangement will be reviewed during mid year.

The A-League is not on ABC NewsRadio on digital is it, and neither is any other sport coverage?

A-League is already available on ABC Grandstand Digital in capital cities.

News Radio should be rebranded as ABC Live (or similar), similar to BBC 5 Live as that has news, talk and a lot of sport content.

4 Likes

It was announced tonight during the NRL clash between Melbourne Storm and Wests Tigers that ABC NewsRadio in Melbourne (and I assume relays in Victoria as well) would broadcast every Storm game this season. However, it means some late season A-League matches will be skipped if they clash with the Storm game each week.
Here is a list of A-League regular season matches which will be skipped in Melbourne due to NRL coverage.
Round 23: Sydney FC v Brisbane (Saturday night: Storm v Tigers)
Round 24: no omission (Storm plays on Thursday night)
Round 25: Adelaide v Wellington (Friday night: Sharks v Storm)
Round 26: no omission (Storm plays on Saturday afternoon)
Round 27: Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory starts at 7.50pm. Storm v Knights kicks off at 6pm so there will be some overlap
Any clash with A-League finals to be confirmed.

2 Likes

From the letters page in today’s The Age

Loves the station so much but doesn’t know its name :wink:

Maybe ABC has some work to do on branding

6 Likes

I remember Sandy Aloisi when she first came to prominence as a newsreader on 2SM, a lone female voice amongst the big name journalists that 2SM had hired, Liebmann, White and Tingle. Sandy does a good job on breakfast on News Radio.

2 Likes

Is NewsRadio all done out of Sydney these days?

Nor did the Editor to correct the mistake, “Eds note: …”

Sandy has always been a groundbreaker and a survivor of radio. Sandy has also been the PD of 2UE, dealing with the big egos and personalities (and personality disorders!) of the then talkback giants’ talent, both the on and off air versions.

3 Likes

Last October the ABC announced the A-League would be broadcast on News Radio until the end of the 2017/18 season in May. However with the start of NRL and AFL seasons, there is now a three way split each weekend, with analogue listeners in NSW, ACT and QLD getting the AFL on Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday, while the A-League continues for analogue radio in SA, WA, TAS and NT. Victoria gets a Melbourne Storm NRL game each week and the A-League at other times. Normal programs continue on digital radio and online.