ABC News (Radio)

News Radio in Melbourne is broadcasting the NRL match between the Broncos and the Storm tonight, instead of A-League elimination final between Melbourne City and Brisbane.

2 Likes

ABC Extends coverage of A-League for 2018/19 (ABC EXTENDS COVERAGE OF A-LEAGUE FOR 2018/19) - more games heading for ABC News on Radio broadcast.

ABC Radio announced today that it will be covering all A-League matches nationally in its most extensive coverage of Australia’s premier football league to date.

In addition to covering every game, ABC Radio will also introduce a new weekly preview program each Friday evening prior to kick off. Popular The Boot Room podcast, presented by Ned Hall, also returns for the 2018/19 season.

“With every game of A-League to be broadcast on ABC NewsRadio nationally and on the ABC listen app, football fans around the country will be able to listen where and when they want,” Mr Morris said.

The Grandstand commentary team, led by Ned Hall will be joined by experts including former Socceroos Paul Wade, Simon Colosimo, Stan Lazaridis, Jade North and Damian Mori, along with former Matilda Cheryl Salisbury.

A-League coverage in Victoria will be affected from late March next year when the AFL home and away season starts. If ABC NewsRadio in Victoria is to broadcast every Melbourne Storm NRL game every week like the 2018 season, there will be one night each week when the AFL, A-League and NRL all clash. I guess the A-League will be bumped to the ABC Listen app.

ABC News Radio is taking Local Radio’s coverage of Caulfield Cup race today. I assume next week’s Cox Plate and the Melbourne Cup will also be simulcast on the two radio networks.

Did they use they’re own commentary of take the feed with Matt Hill?

what a joke. they are slowly killing the premise of newsradio (the dip in, dip out news format). I was a newsradio listener for 17 years (back when they took radio australia overnight) . now, unless i want local news i just listen to the bbc world service

Isn’t ABC News Radio still all news on digital radio and on the ABC Listen app?

1 Like

Kind of. the dip in, dip out format is still being killed on digital as well.

they are introducing more long form programming - live audo of Q&A, the law report, Hoof on the till and a bunch more.

ABC News Radio will have full coverage of the soccer friendly between Australia and Lebanon from Sydney’s ANZ Stadium next Tuesday (November 20) from 7pm AEDT. It will be Tim Cahill’s last match as a Socceroo.

No A-League on ABC News Radio today due to live coverage of Victorian state election. The soccer is on Grandstand Digital or ABC Sport website or ABC Listen app.

Good, as it should be, real news, not sport.

4 Likes

ABC News Radio broadcast the final session of today’s play in the first test between Australia and Sri Lanka, due to Local Radio’s coverage of Australian of the Year Awards. I think it’s the first time cricket is broadcast on News Radio. As the result, the A-League game between Brisbane Roar and Western Sydney Wanderers was only covered on Grandstand Digital and online.

1 Like

There’s an issue with News Radio Tamworth 91.7 at the moment… has a recorded message on loop advising (something like):

"We apologize for this interruption.

Normal programming will resume as possible.

If you experience any ongoing difficulties, please contact the ABC Reception Advice Hotline".

No other News Radio or Tamworth ABC stations were affected.

2 Likes

Today marks 25 years since ABC NewsRadio first went to air, which was initially only available in the capital cities + Newcastle.

More at Radioinfo.

3 Likes

i started listening in 96 when i toured radio australia in melbourne and met Dennis Gibbons who was on RA at the time. I was on holiday and didn’t have my shortwave radio with me and he mentoned that newsradio took radio australia overnight (before they switched to BBC)

yes, i’ve bitched about newsradio in the past but it’s better than some over “news stations”

1 Like

ABC News Radio has dropped A-League from its schedule after just one season, just as ABC TV picks up the rights to every Saturday twilight game and all A-League finals for the next two seasons. I guess it has something to do with ABC Grandstand Digital now available in all eight state and territory capitals. Every A-League game will continue to broadcast on ABC Listen app, Grandstand Digital, and Local Radio in the home state of the hosting team.

1 Like

They’ve been simulcasting the News channel over the last few days.

Noticed they tend to do that during ‘big’ news events - wonder whether the thinking is a combined service is better or is it merely a cost-saving measure?

1 Like

i’m thinking little from both, but i wish to hell they would tell the news presenters they are on radio as well. nothing worse than listening and hearing the phrase “as you can see…”

2 Likes