ABC News (Radio)

I wish one of the many ABC networks was directed to re-broadcast the audio of the 7pm state news bulletin.

Think about it, all these radio stations, taking up spectrum, not one re-broadcasts the flagship news daily news bulletin for those not around a TV.

ABC has a highly inner Sydney centric view that we all have access to devices worth hundreds of dollars and will pay big bucks for data to look at an inferior mobile picture on tiny screen.

We just want the audio, cheaply rebroadcast, only 30 mins out of a program schedule, it’s nothing.

It would also make a good use of the TV resource, reaching more people than before.

This frustration would also be shared by people in VHF band II areas where their FM audio of TV is no longer available. Newcastle, Spencer Gulf, Bunbury, Townsville + more and Canberra before ABC analogue moved to Band III

1 Like

That would be a good idea.
The most obvious candidate would be News Radio.

The only issue I can see is infrastructure - given that News Radio is live nationally 24/7. So they would need to split it up into state/territory specific feeds to incorporate that state/territory’s 7pm bullletin, so they would need 8 feeds on the satellite instead of just 1 and reconfigure the inputs from each local satellite to take that state/territory’s feed.

Or change the transmitter feeds to a land based option etc.

I can’t see a 30 min news bulletin working on Local Radio however, and Evenings is a good listen.

Newsradio has separate feeds when it’s used as an overflow to have sporting fixtures broadcast into a market. Newsradio will differ from Bris/Gold Coast. Newcastle different to Sydney, so it can be done.

2 Likes

Surely there’s enough radio stations that provide an equivalent news coverage in lieu of a TV news simulcast, with News Radio, Local Radio, Radio National, commercial talkback, etc

And is the 7pm News streamed online? That would allow people away from a TV to catch the bulletin.

Only the 7pm NSW bulletin and the 7pm AEDT bulletin on ABC News 24.

But people want access to the actual bulletin, it’s something different, content you don’t get elsewhere in a form unavailable elsewhere.

I made my case clear enough, here goes again:

Not everything people do enables them to look at their bloody iPads and mobile phones and other mobile devices. Radio is one of the best mediums for holding an audience, you can use it in the background, work two handed on things, be active, be driving, quite endless really.

And you don’t need money for devices and be paying for data and then searching for a signal.

I often laugh at Telstra and the rest claiming 90, now 98% of Australia’s population, big deal. On land mass coverage, the wide area coverage where it really matters, this is where radio will not be surpassed by data signal for a very long time, if ever.

The people driving along a highway at 7pm deserve access too.

With comments like this, I could write a blistering submission to the Senate inquiry grilling the ABC on their removal of SW coverage to northern Australia if I do say so myself!

I haven’t heard anyone suggest this other than yourself - yes, that doesn’t mean that a radio simulcast of the 7pm bulletin is therefore automatically unwarranted, but if the ABC can’t find enough of an audience for it, it isn’t going to happen.

As we’ve seen, NewsRadio is run on a bare bones budget. I don’t know how much there actually is to cut there.

1 Like

newsradio has not switched to the BBC at mignight like normal and is instead taking the audio from news24

2 Likes

News 24 ran local all night for TV news updates. I think that was overkill, divert more resources to radio news for the markets that need it.

Confirmation that ABC NewsRadio will be rebranded ABC News - http://www.abc.net.au/news/new-look/

3 Likes

And still with the cut back, lower budget it has suffered for years? No weekend afternoon or evening live programs?

No simulcast of the 7pm TV news bulletins/replay of bulletins in timezones where more than one state?

1 Like

No change to the station music this morning, the voiceover and the presenter just said “This is ABC News”.

The station is now read as “ABC NEWS” on DAB+.

The radio station website has been updated and shares the same font and presentation as the main ABC News website.

The station will broadcast today’s A-League Grand Final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory from 4pm AEST. Kickoff is at 5pm. Ned Hall will lead the broadcast.

ABC News on Radio will pick up coverage of A-League from next weekend (November 10-12), from Round 6 to the end of 2017/18 season. But in good news for soccer fans and also for listeners in Tasmania and NT, every A-League match will now be heard on the station, across Australia. Currently only selected matches are broadcast on Local Radio in the competing teams’ home state (e.g. tonight’s Perth Glory v Adelaide clash will be heard on Local Radio in SA and WA). A-League coverage will continue to be available online, on Grandstand Digital and the ABC Listen mobile app.

That’s better for soccer than the cobbled together coverage on commercial radio.

It’s annoying that ABC News(Radio) is used for sport. One should expect the name of the station to reflect its content.

I would’ve preferred if the ABC had taken inspiration from the BBC, whose news radio station also features sport and so omits news from its name. BBC Radio Five Live. So ABC Radio Live or something.

4 Likes

The A-League coverage on ABC News on Radio faces its first hurdle on Saturday November 25 with the Queensland state election count. In the past, the station has either simulcast every state, territory and federal election coverage on Local Radio or provided its own coverage, pre-empting any sporting broadcast including the AFL. There will be two A-League matches on the day: Wellington v Central Coast (5.30pm AEDT) and Sydney FC v Brisbane (7.30pm AEDT). Will the soccer coverage be cut short so ABC News can start broadcasting at 7pm AEDT?

Looking at the ABC Grandstand guide for this weekend, on digital radio the A-League is not on ABC News on Radio but some games are on ABC Grandstand Digital. Presumably the soccer will be on ABC News on Radio on AM/FM with the Queenland election on digital?