ABC News Presenters and Reporters

8 Likes

ABC NEWS farewells a great – Ian “Hendo’ Henderson signs off

ABC NEWS veteran Ian Henderson is to retire as Victorian 7pm News presenter after a wonderful career at the national broadcaster spanning almost four decades.

Affectionately known as “Hendo”, he has been the face of the news for around a quarter of a century and is loved and admired by ABC viewers.

Says Ian: “After a long and rewarding career at the ABC, the time has come for me to explore some new directions. It hasn’t been an easy decision, but I’m convinced it’s the right one.

“I have some thanks to pass on: to the ABC for the wonderful opportunities it’s given me over the past 38 years; to my many colleagues for their support, good humour and camaraderie over the years; and to our loyal audience for welcoming me into their homes on a nightly basis! It’s been a rare privilege. I have a real sense of a bond with ABC viewers, and it’s a connection I’ll long cherish.

“As Australia’s media landscape contracts, ABC journalism has never been more important. And, importantly, it’s never been stronger.

“I leave you in very good hands.”

ABC Director News, Analysis and Current Affairs Gaven Morris paid tribute to Henderson’s contribution to the ABC, to audiences and to Australian journalism.

“Ian knows the 7pm audience and understands how to speak to them. As a result, viewers have a unique connection to him and they’ll miss him on their screens – as we will miss him in the newsroom,” he said.

“As well as being a favourite with viewers, Ian is an integral member of the Melbourne news team. His editorial decision-making, writing skills, smooth presentation and passion for the job have made him an asset to the ABC.”

Ian’s last bulletin will be on Thursday 11 October. The new line-up will be announced soon.

Ian Henderson
Ian Henderson joined the ABC in 1980 and reported at home and abroad, including working as a state political and industrial reporter. During four years as ABC Europe Correspondent in the 1990s he reported on the fall of the Berlin wall and the release of Nelson Mandela.

Over his career he has also hosted our state election coverage, presented weekly current affairs program Stateline and led many other special presentations, including our ANZAC Day coverage. His extracurricular activities include being a former President of the Melbourne Press Club.

He has been presenting the 7pm news bulletin on weeknights in Victoria since 1992. One of his most memorable work weeks came in February 2009 when he presented the news live from locations affected by the Black Saturday Victorian bushfires.

Henderson has also hosted many other special presentations, such as the ABC’s ANZAC Day coverage and the Melbourne Press Club’s Quill Awards .

7 Likes

Wow.
But also not surprised. The guy has had a very light presenting workload over the last few years.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Surely the main gig goes to Virgina Trioli or Michael Rowland?

2 Likes

Having both done recent stints in local radio, I feel both would be wasted presenting 7pm, no matter how polished the product would be.

It’ll have to be Tamara Oudyn now that (thankfully) Guy Stayner’s been shipped off to Tasmania.

Tam’s been an excellent weekend presenter for 11 years and the audience love her.

4 Likes

Boo, he should stay he is damn good!

If it was his choice then no one can stop him.

2 Likes

Knowing how frequently Ian Henderson has been absent from ABC News Victoria (at times, it almost seems like he’s been absent from the bulletin more often than he’s been on in recent years judging by this forum), the announcement of his retirement doesn’t come as a major surprise.

I agree with everyone who’s saying that Tamara Oudyn would most likely be her successor, although it’s possible that the ABC might surprise us with someone else.

Haven’t both Trioli and Rowland co-presented News Breakfast together for about 10 years now? One can imagine either (or both) of them wanting to move from 3am starts before overly long.

That said, I definitely don’t think Michael Rowland will be picked as the new lead presenter of the 7pm news in Victoria. The ABC will want a female to be the new lead presenter of the 7pm news in Victoria on weeknights, I think.

2 Likes

I’m hoping Tamara replaces Ian she certainly deserves the role.

6 Likes

Yep, that’s true. I’d just think something with more interviewing opportunities would suit both of them, Hendo does an occasional intereview, but it’s usually very brief.

Tamara would be ideal, but would weekdays be ideal for her?

3 Likes

They need to try better

Alison Branley’s PTC on the drone package that aired on Monday night’s bulletins needed a lot of work.

She sneered at the camera as if squinting through the sun.

Where is the experience of cameramen or those training her to present a half decent PTC.

It was a shocker and for a national investigation getting a lot of air play, they need to try better at the ABC to improve standards.

1 Like

On last night’s bulletin after the weather Paul Higgins spoke eloquently about Hendo’s retirement announcement.

Respect shown to Hendo from fellow Melbourne newsreaders.

6 Likes

Virginia would likely be in the running for another TV project surely, on the national scale, or else ABC Radio Melbourne. Perhaps taking over should Faine leave shortly.

2 Likes

Tamara Oudyn taking over, just announced on Jon Faine’s program.

2 Likes

Tamara on Sunday - Thursday with Mary Gearin presenting Friday and Saturday.

6 Likes

Tamara Oudyn and Mary Gearin to helm 7pm NEWS Victoria

Top journalists Tamara Oudyn and Mary Gearin are the new faces of ABC NEWS in Victoria.

Starting next Friday 12 October, Mary will be in the chair on Fridays and Saturdays and Tamara from Sunday to Thursday. Both will also continue to add their reporting skills and experience to the newsroom and in the field.

The announcement of the new line-up follows the retirement of ABC NEWS great Ian Henderson this month after more than 25 years bringing viewers the nightly news. His farewell bulletin will be on Thursday 11 October.

Tamara Oudyn is already well known to Victorians after working for the ABC in Melbourne for 15 years as a journalist, anchor, podcaster and voice trainer.

Says Tamara: “It’s such a privilege to be entrusted to the role of ABC Victoria’s main anchor, and I step into it with a great deal of pride. It’s also an honour to follow in the footsteps of Ian Henderson. Hendo has been a mentor and friend for many years and I have enormous respect for him.

“I’ve been presenting at the ABC for a long time - I know our audience and they know me. They rightfully have high expectations and I can’t wait to bring them the news through the week.”

Mary Gearin is a leading journalist and former ABC Europe Correspondent who led the national broadcaster’s coverage of events such as the 2015 Paris terrorist attacks and the birth of Prince George.

“I am thrilled with this new role and the opportunity to be a face of ABC NEWS Victoria, a place of great energy, talent and commitment,” she says. “It’s a marvellous opportunity to deepen my commitment to the newsroom and connect with the Victorian community around me.

"I’m excited about being able to combine the buzz of being in the studio with still being able to get into the field doing news stories and special projects across all platforms.”

Says Director ABC NEWS, Analysis and Investigations Gaven Morris: “As well as national and international coverage, local audiences want in-depth, high quality local news and information. Tam and Mary are highly experienced reporters, skilled presenters and gifted communicators who know how to explore the issues and tell the stories that matter to Victorians.”

Tamara Oudyn
Tamara Oudyn is a journalist, anchor, podcaster and voice trainer. Tamara has worked in television, both behind-the-scenes and in front of the camera, for almost 25 years. She has worked at the ABC in Melbourne for 15 years as a reporter and presenter for ABC NEWS, ABC News Breakfast, The Midday Report and Stateline. She started her career in television in 1995 at Channel 10, on the long-running children’s show, Totally Wild.

She continued to work as a researcher and producer for factual programs in Australia and the UK while completing a Bachelor of Journalism at QUT in Brisbane.

After graduating, she moved to Melbourne in 2003 and joined the ABC newsroom. She’s been presenting weekend news bulletins there for the past 12 years and coaches journalists across the network in broadcast voice. She produces and co-hosts a weekly podcast about Australian television dramas and the people who make them.

Mary Gearin
An experienced TV presenter, senior journalist and former Europe Correspondent, Mary Gearin is known for her versatility, on-air presentation and storytelling skills.

In the London bureau, Mary led the ABC’s coverage of major breaking world news events such as the 2015 Paris terrorist attacks, the Germanwings disaster, Greece’s 2015 elections and financial crisis, and Europe’s migrant crisis. She’s covered four Olympics - three Summer, one Winter - three Commonwealth Games, a Rugby World Cup, the election of a new Pope and the birth of Prince George.

Mary is regularly called in as co-host of ABC News Breakfast, The World, and her content has appeared across all ABC platforms — TV, radio and online — to a wide range of programs including the ABC’s flagship current affairs program 7.30.

I assume Mary Gearin will continue her current role as national sports reporter.

4 Likes

Mary will continue reporting several days a week.

1 Like

Is this an Australian TV first - female newsreaders seven days a week on a regular basis? (Edit - scratch that, have been reminded that SBS used to do it. But have any local bulletins done females across the week on a regular basis before?) Either way, it’s good to see. The move has also ensured that Melbourne finally has an even male/female balance of TV newsreaders, pretty good when there wasn’t a single lead female newsreader in the market even six months ago.

But with the ABC joining Seven in running Sunday-Thursday & Friday/Saturday presenter rosters in Melbourne, I wonder how long it’ll be until Nine News Melbourne follows suit. Sunday-Thursday & Friday/Saturday rosters have been the norm here in Sydney/NSW for a few years now, with Ten & regional news services being the main ones in this state to continue running “traditional” weeknight & weekend presenter rosters for obvious reasons.

1 Like