ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Exactly. Sounds like a great place to learn.

3 Likes

Gemma Veness and Kirstien Aiken were the fill in presenters back when Juanita was presenting, so it will probably be either of them. Lorna Dunkly’s also done it before as well.

6 Likes

Update: Olivana Lathouris has joined the lineup, with Kyle Downing announced as the weekday presenter. He hasn’t actually been appearing with Isabella Tolhurst filling in.

Eleni Roussos has vanished again.

4 Likes

Saw her earlier in the week presenting the weather on the news channel (same time that Paul Higgins use to present it).

Not the first time she’s vanished though, so she could return.

I thought Gemma was going to be a shoe in for the weekend gig when Jeremy moved to weeknights. She’s once of the best at ABC News IMO.

4 Likes

Olivana read last night:

5 Likes

The ABC’s position was that Lattouf’s employment was not actually terminated, because she was paid for the full five days.

In a decision published today, the Fair Work Commission has rejected that argument and found Lattouf’s employment was terminated by her managers during a meeting on December 20.

What a crock of shit.

She was hired for 5 days and was paid for 5 days.

It’s that simple. Move on.

She was essentially fired as she was not on air for the full 5 days. Yes she was paid for 5 days however that is irrelevant. She was taken off air due to her social media activity and posts against the Israel conflict unnecessarily in my view.

1 Like

It’s not irrelevant though. She was paid for the time she signed on the contract. It doesn’t matter if she was on air or not. She was still paid for the complete amount of time.

The contract was fulfilled.

If they had reassigned her to an off-air role I would agree. But they didn’t. They terminated her employment and paid out her contract in lieu of notice. It’s irrelevant whether that contract was 5 days or 5 years - she was still terminated.

But I do think the ABC was 100% within their rights to control the editorial output of their broadcast. This first stage judgement just means that the ABC now needs to prove cause in their decision to terminate her contract.

2 Likes

She’s probably spent more money on legal fees by this point then what she would of gotten paid for her 5 days.

Exactly. It’s just complete nonsense.

If she was let go and not paid I’d understand. But she was paid out her contract. What? She upset she didn’t get to sprout her views for another 2 days on air?

She got paid for 2 days of doing nothing. That’s all the compensation she deserves.

1 Like

At this point it feels like she’s pursuing the case on the basis of her being removed when the ABC already should’ve known about her opinions on the Israel-Gaza conflict

3 Likes

It is very much likely she was removed from the air due to this as people from certain groups had words with ABC board members resulting in what happened. This should never happen on the ABC which is why she is pursuing this. Whether she has paid more in legal fees than what she earned in the 5 days is irrelevant. If she made a comment on social media in favour then she probably would not have been taken off air which is the point of her actions.

8 Likes

For some people, it’s more sbout the principle and standing up for themselves and not letting employers think they can get away with things than the money.

Which I can understand. But I wouldn’t have done it, it’s not worth the stress and money to me.

1 Like

It’s also not a good career move.

People will not want to work with her now for fear of being sued etc.

Sometimes you just have to pick your battles.

1 Like

That sort of attitude is ridiculous it’s the same as why whistle blowers can’t get jobs after for example letting authorities know of certain safety issues occurring at a particular company. Which should be encouraged as lives are at stake.

ABC did the wrong thing here and she had every reason to question the decision. It should not affect her ability to get employment in the future in a perfect world. But no doubt people not knowing all the facts will not employ her which is wrong. She may have to go overseas which is ridiculous she did nothing wrong.

6 Likes

Except she wasn’t fired over her opinions, she was terminated over a sharing a video from Human Rights Watch - the very thing that the ABC were reporting at that time too.

Very simplistic way to view the situation, why is she not entitled to fair treatment by an employer and to pursue legal action if she believes she was wrongfully terminated?

1 Like

ABC response

Fair Work Commission decision

Today’s decision by the Fair Work Commission dealt with jurisdictional issues only and the substance of Ms Lattouf’s claim of unlawful termination will be determined by the Federal Court at a later date.

This dispute arises from a casual employee being advised they were not required to perform two shifts of a five shift engagement. Ms Lattouf was paid for all five shifts, including the two shifts not worked.

Ms Lattouf seeks compensation and penalties from the ABC along with orders that would compel the ABC to employ her in an equivalent role.

The ABC has not acted on the basis of Ms Lattouf’s political opinion, race and/or national extraction or social origin. In response to the claim before the Commission, the ABC maintains that it acted on the basis of a belief that Ms Lattouf had not complied with a direction in relation to her use of social media. Those matters were not the subject of today’s decision.

The ABC will continue to defend the claims by Ms Lattouf in the Federal Court.