ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Given the news we may see some more consistency with the presenting lineup, no doubt @David will be pretty happy with this news.

1 Like

What do you mean? Juanita isn’t the presenter of the lucky dip Victorian bulletin.

1 Like

Ah yes, my bad :woozy_face:

1 Like

Monday 31 July -
Bridget Rollason presenting news in Victoria tonight, with Danny Tran on weather.

3 Likes

Speaking of lucky dip Victorian news…

8 Likes

I wish my boss let me have that much time off. I swear one of them are off each week for the last couple of years.

Even Paul Higgins has been on and off lately.

I would assume it’s not without reason guys. That reason being something private that she doesn’t want public.

What all three of them? I mean it’s not just one of them, the whole lot of them are always off.

1 Like

It’s definitely very unusual.

You’d think management would step in by now and replace them if they cannot commit. It’s gone on for so long now.

They’ve probably negotiated a lesser number of shifts per year in their contract. Not just random absenteeism.

2 Likes

If it’s as simple as that then the breaks should be planned better.

It’s currently shambles. Literally a lucky dip as to who will turn up for work.

Who cares though? Is there any evidence it affects the quality of the bulletin? Maybe it poses problems for the newsroom staff, maybe it doesn’t. The anchor is just the face - as the long as they are confident anyone will do a good job, who cares who shows up on the day to anchor?

2 Likes

It’s about connection and familiarity with the talent. You build trust with these people who beam into your television every night. Hard to do this with 5 different people each week.

Imagine if randoms presented 7 or 9 news each night. I bet there’d be an instant drop in viewership.

1 Like

Channel 7 is hardly consistent though. They have that ridiculous practice of double-heading weekends and one reader on weekdays. And even then sometimes it’s just one reader at weekends too. Maybe not the best example. Anyway I suspect ABC viewers are the least likely out of all the networks to tune in because a presenter is there (or not).

2 Likes

I’m not sure that example is the same thing here. At least those 3 presenters are the same each week.

2 Likes

Yeah, fair point. I just think it should be a double header all week or a single head. Tbh I don’t think who presents the news is as relevant anymore as it was 20 or so years ago.

If this new Sunday bulletin does come from Melbourne then I suspect managers will want someone regular so maybe some changes will be made then.

I agree trust is important. But you also establish trust through your reporters and your overall brand and reputation. ABC consistently is Australia’s most trusted broadcaster so I don’t see that as being an issue. And shouldn’t be compared to a commercial bulletin either.

It’s a completely different audience. Most of them are watching because it’s ‘ABC News’ and nothing else.

Saying that, I do agree that the Victorian bulletin’s absences are noted. It’s not so much Tam’s time off as Mary also is away a lot. The full-in should basically always be there if the primary reader is not.

As for NSW, it’ll be Jez. Maybe Karina C at a pinch.

if it was Karina, that’d have to be a first wouldn’t it, someone presenting a flagship bulletin the 3 different states?

But yes Jeremy would have to be a sure bet, he ticks all the boxes for viewers (ie. is a great presenter, experienced, popular) and ticks all the boxes for the ABC. Would hope they could still give him some national profile though.

1 Like

I think part of ABC Vic news problem is the constant absences at News Breakfast.
Backup presenters shared between News Breakfast and ABC Vic news cascade the problem from Breakfast to 7pm

1 Like