ABC News Presenters and Reporters

It is madness. Especially at a time when the political landscape is changing so fast.

Probyn was polarizing on both sides, which is a good thing.

8 Likes

What other major media outlet, let alone a national broadcaster, has no political editor or similar role? Laughable.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will happen I think it got mentioned earlier in the thread could they maybe expand the role of Laura Tingle , or David Speers?

Well I guess Tingle and Speers become the default political editors.

Fingers crossed they’re able to expand their reach across different times/platforms. Given 7:30 love to hide Tingle at the end of the program, it would be great if she did a story for 7pm and then appears on 7:30 for analysis/chat with Sarah.

3 Likes

First the Beer Fridge, and now Probyn…
The appointment of Michelle Ainsworth as Head of ABC politics certainly has had an effect.
Political editor, and a senior producer gone, replaced by 3 junior ‘digital first’ producers…

1 Like

Tingle would be looking surely at reducing her load in the future not increasing it, coming up mid 60s.

Saturday 17 June -
Ishkandar Razak presented in Victoria tonight.

Thursday 22 June -
Mary Gearin presenting in Victoria tonight.

1 Like

ABC Melbourne drive host Rafael Epstein filed a report for tonight’s Victorian bulletin. This morning he was given exclusive access to Anzac station, which is under construction as part of Melbourne Metro Tunnel project.

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/1673909552964829186

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/1673915483735879681

Tuesday 4 July -
Ben Knight presenting in Victoria tonight.

4 Likes

ABC has asked David Speers to take on an expanded role as ABC News’ National Political Lead.

2 Likes

Yup, something like that was bound to happen, and to be honest makes sense.

3 Likes

This announcement is a separate initiative to the ABC’s recent proposed changes to the Canberra bureau and across ABC News

Something tells me that might not be 100% correct.

Thursday 6 July and Friday 7 July -
Nate Byrne presenting weather in Victoria tonight.

Friday 7 July -
Ishkandar Razak presenting news in Victoria tonight.

Monday 10 July to Thursday 13 July -
Mary Gearin presenting news in Victoria tonight.

Friday 14 July and Saturday 15 July -
Bridget Rollason presenting news in Victoria tonight.

Monday 17 July and Tuesday 18 July -
Tamara Oudyn reads the weather in Victoria tonight.

Friday 21 July -
Bridget Rollason presenting news in Victoria tonight.

Thursday 27 July and Friday 28 July -
Danny Tran presenting weather in Victoria tonight.

3 Likes

She’s been the face of the ABC’s 7pm bulletin in NSW for more than two decades.

Juanita Phillips explains in her own words why she’s decided it’s time to step away.

After 21 years presenting the 7pm news, I have decided to leave the ABC and take a break for a while.

It’s my choice, and I’m excited to start the next phase of my life. My final bulletin will be on September 10.

It’s been an honour to serve the people of NSW in this role, and I’ll be sorry to say goodbye to our 7pm viewers.

12 Likes

Her final bulletin will be Sunday 10 September.

5 Likes

Another one bites the dust.

1 Like

Jez for Sydney’s 7pm news then?

3 Likes

He’d be the only reasonable choice since he’s been the 2IC for years.

1 Like

well I guess Stan is needing a new gig?

Juanita is great, big loss for ABC NSW, and a shame we haven’t had her on nationally for a while.

1 Like

ABC Statement

Juanita Phillips signing off from the ABC

After a distinguished career with the ABC spanning two decades and more than 4500 bulletins journalist and NSW 7pm News presenter Juanita Phillips has decided it’s time to sign off from the national public broadcaster.

Her farewell bulletin will be on Sunday 10 September.

Phillips has written about her decision today in a column: Juanita Phillips to leave the ABC

Phillips joined the ABC in 2002 after a number of other roles at home and abroad, including working for CNN International, BBC World News, Sky News Australia and the Ten Network.

After beginning as weekend presenter of the NSW 7pm News she became co-anchor later that year and in 2003 was appointed the bulletin’s main solo presenter.

Juanita Phillips says: “The ABC 7pm News is an Australian treasure and it’s been an honour to play a very small part in its history.

“Over the past 21 years, I’ve presented more than 4500 bulletins – that’s a lot of ‘good evenings’! I thank the 7pm audience for their support and the trust they place in the ABC. I’d like to say a special farewell to the viewers who’ve been with me from day one – I’ve spoken to many of them over the years and when they stop me in the street for a chat it feels like we know each other. It’s been a privilege to be a part of their daily lives.

“I’m proud to have worked for the public broadcaster alongside the best people in the business. My colleagues do incredibly important work while under intense public scrutiny, and I want to pay tribute to their talent and courage.

“After 21 years, it’s time for a change. My children weren’t even born when I started presenting the 7pm bulletin; now they are young adults, and I’m finally able to step aside from full-time work. I have no idea what comes next, but it’s an exciting stage of life, full of possibilities and the time and freedom to explore them.”

ABC Director, News Justin Stevens said Phillips would leave a valuable and abiding legacy at the national public broadcaster.

“This is sad news, but we respect the decision Juanita has made, detailed in the wonderful words she has written today about her decision,” he said.

“Juanita is a key presence in the ABC, both on air and behind the scenes. She is loved and trusted by viewers and one of our most senior and respected editorial leaders. Live-to-air, in the studio and from the field, she has informed us about many of the biggest news events, always with her trademark clarity and calm.

“As well as her journalistic contribution, Juanita is a champion and trailblazer for gender equity and inclusion in the newsroom, with her advocacy benefiting many women at the ABC and throughout the media.”

3 Likes

Has to be Jez. Hope he maintains a national profile though.

4 Likes