ABC News Presenters and Reporters

I followed James on Twitter a few years back when he was active and had an account. Definitely didn’t fit your typical ABC News anchor in terms of personality, he brought a fair bit of humour during bulletins (I recall him waving a large Dockers flag at the end of the 7pm bulletin the day before the 2013 AFL GF, and also attempting an unsuccessful paper cup flip at the end of the now-defunct Early Edition bulletins!), which was refreshing to see, though I’m sure not everyone would’ve approved of some of the things he did on an ABC News bulletin. He also had a show at Perth Fringe World too. Since then, there’s been very little of those sorts of things and has maintained a very straight line of presentation on bulletins. I do wonder if words were had with him behind the scenes perhaps and whether or not it affected him in terms of his appearance and personality. This is most definitely not said as a mean thing, but from a place of concern.

3 Likes

He definitely didn’t fit the profile but he brought in the ratings. ABC News Perth gets large numbers and is the only station closest (very close) to 7 Perth so will be interesting to see what its like without him.

2 Likes

Probably. Unlike the commercial networks where the personality of James McHale would not only be accepted but celebrated, I think the ABC News presenter style (whether on TV or radio) is one where only the headlines are expected to be delivered and nothing else.

While I wouldn’t want to see them completely replicate the dynamics of Nine News Sydney, at times I think it’d be nice to see the presenters on ABC News NSW loosen up just a little bit - especially during the cross to/from weather (well there isn’t a Sports presenter on ABC News NSW and Finance is pre-recorded from Melbourne, so this will have to do) where I feel there’s the potential for some lighthearted banter between Juanita/Jeremy & Graham Creed when appropriate. But I suspect not everyone will agree with this opinion.

2 Likes

McCulloch is leaving the ABC to focus on his role at Bureau of Meteorology.
5 Likes

Farewells from his Tasmanian colleagues

Screenshot_20200731-090741~2 Screenshot_20200731-090721~2 Screenshot_20200731-091242~2

3 Likes

I notice that Papua New Guinea correspondent Natalie Whiting has been filing reports from Brisbane in recent weeks, like the report shown during tonight’s 7pm bulletin.

James Oaten also is filing south Asian reports from Melbourne. He even covered the Gladstone Park stabbing a few weeks ago.

I believe they were brought home to avoid covid. Issues in their reporting regions.

1 Like

Yeah it was, a long time ago.

1 Like

Is there a conspiracy to force Emma Alberici to leave the ABC?

1 Like

I also noticed when the ABC redundancies were announced,on twitter tweets calling for Emma to sacked started again she was even trending on twitter.

3 Likes

Thursday 6 August-

Mary Gearin is presenting in Victoria filling in for Tamara tonight.

5 Likes

Wednesday 12 August and Thursday 13 August -
Alan Kohler presenting finance from his home office.

5 Likes

No. He did that through April and May.

4 Likes

First time from his home office though and not a green screen!

7 Likes

Yep, must have a green screen as home, you can see it his hair, that doesn’t happen in the studio.

1 Like

Screenshot_20200813-071415~2

5 Likes

For the record, the books shown in Alan Kohler’s home office this evening (August 13) are:
Money in the Bank
The New Financial Order: Risk in the 21st Century by Robert J. Shiller
The Bold Riders: Behind Australia’s Corporate Collapses by Trevor Sykes - which also appeared last night

4 Likes

I love how we needed to know this

2 Likes

Clearly a popular topic:

5 Likes

Juanita Phillips had eye surgery on Thursday so she won’t have to wear glasses again. Jeremy Fernandez had been filling in for her on the NSW 7pm bulletin for a couple of nights this week.

4 Likes