ABC News Content and Appearance

A Melbourne version with a third big screen and sofa area off to the left will look awesome and be massively flexible.

I hope they are working on a refresh for 7.30 as well.

2 Likes

Even though it’s been well covered by others, here’s some snapshots of the new ABC News NSW set for what they’re worth:

6 Likes

ABC News Sunday is extended nationally.

1 Like

Full bulletin:

10 Likes

That opener is great!

6 Likes

It’s nice and yes it’s an improvement on previous set, but I’m not that overly impressed with it. The lighting needs a lot of work.

5 Likes

That’s giving me a vibe or two of Tagesschau.

1 Like

Why is Australian TV lighting always so bad, I know on location shoots it’s down to money time and experience but studio shoots should have better quality control

Yeah the lighting is shocking, no point in this brand new swanky set if the lighting is off. Feels like we are looking through a soot covered window.
Dreary and grey.

1 Like

Juanita Phillips is presenting tonight’s edition of ABC News NSW from the seat of Warringah, Gemma Veness with “the rest of the day’s news” in Studio 23 at Ultimo.

3 Likes

Tonight’s bulletin

9 Likes

How ridiculous. Launch a new set then go on the road.

And the pic quality in the studio backdrop is horrific.

3 Likes

You’d think ABC News NSW would’ve gone on the road when they were preparing the new set, not one night after the debut bulletin!

Also, how come the lighting actually looks better on-location than in the studio? :confused:

3 Likes

Errr I’m really not okay with these new broken square graphics - they’re the design for ABC TV, not ABC News.

The ABC News package is working really well, there’s absolutely no need for a poorly executed graphics change by the in-house team. Sigh. Please change it back.

1 Like

ACT bulletin was also on location tonight, for the final of their election series:

2 Likes

I don’t mind the idea of elements from the general ABC-TV On-Air Presentation package being implemented on the news. Afterall, the 7pm bulletin is airing on the main channel and the sliding bars elements are simple enough to work on the news without being too flashy/not serious enough for news.

The problem is the implementation of these graphical elements. If they were part of a completely new or heavily modified graphics package, I suspect that they’d be received more positively.

Also, surely I can’t be the only person here who thinks the 7pm bulletin(s) needs a punchier, meatier sounding version of the theme music? Like I get that ABC News is supposed to be going for a consistent brand across all platforms, and I reckon the current theme music works quite well for the news channel bulletins. But it doesn’t quite scream “This is the 7pm news on the ABC. Pay attention because it’s starting right now!” unlike say, the 1998-2005 ABC News theme music did.

3 Likes

Is that actually the broadcast picture quality?

Why is the backdrop image literally 7 pixels?

1 Like

Please avoid this if you can. Thanks.

4 Likes

NSW Tonight:

SA:

2 Likes

Does the ABC News channel stil replay the state bulletin around 7pm? I recall back in 2016 the NSW bulletin was broadcast into Canberra via this…