ABC News Content and Appearance

Caps anyone?

1 Like

Someone must have dared her to. She just did a “coming up” standing and with her legs crossed, she had to hold on to the desk for dear life.

Is it in HD?

Nope.

Looks horrible.

Looks like the whole bulletin will be done standing.

3 Likes

Surely there are many more local stories than the Indian Election. Does not deserve to be one of the top stories.

This format is all wrong. Not local enough at all. Now I remember why I don’t watch ABC News.

That has to be some of the worst quality SD I have seen…

4 Likes

Let’s be honest…Seven News Sydney was in last place as far as sets go even when Nine still had their old set in use.

As for the new ABC News NSW set, it looks good but the entirely SD production really dulls the impact of it. HD presentation is needed ASAP and arguably, should’ve been ready for tonight!

ABC News Sunday usually has a few more longer/in-depth stories than the Monday-Saturday bulletins though.

1 Like

But none of this is “news”.

Right now a story on a river. This is more 7:30 type content. A news bulletin needs to be news. Current. Local.

This bulletin is a major mess.

I don’t feel “caught up” with the days events at all. Waste of time.

1 Like

Was tonight’s bulletin broadcast in native HD?

No. That’s already been answered about 7 posts up.

This is the usual format for Sunday’s. It was to make up for the axing of 7:30 local. The bulletin goes till 7:45

1 Like

Some teething errors (particularly with the cross to Andrew Probyn) and the fact it’s all in SD is unforgiveable but I like the angles and graphics that they are using.

Sadly I can’t see them maintaining it all long-term, we’ll be back to 2-3 basic angles and the old still graphics within weeks.

I agree there could be a bigger hit of headlines at some point, doesn’t feel like a news bulletin at all.

Also looks like Juanita is standing behind the desk rather than sitting down, a bit random.

1 Like

It’s total rubbish.

Definitely does not inform the viewer of the events of the day. If you were looking for today’s news, you don’t find it here.

More like Four Corners.

This product is not a news bulletin.

2 Likes

It’s only an election in the world’s biggest democracy and it’s a stone’s throw from Australia. Oh, and it’s a nation that has major economic and security implications for Australia.

If you want to know about a car crash on a tollway, dumbed down hyper local commercial news is a click away.

5 Likes

While these magazine-type stories shown during ABC News Sunday have a place on TV, personally I’m not sure if the Sunday night 7pm bulletin is the right place for them.

7.30 NSW with Quentin Dempster (or your state/territory equivalent) needs to make a comeback IMO!

I agree.

The angles and tweaked graphics look great (infact, I actually wouldn’t have minded seeing a broader, 2014-like mini refresh of the graphics) but the SD is pretty shocking. You’d think after ABC News recently upgraded to HD in Melbourne, they would’ve done Studio 23 for the new set! But I guess now we can only hope something will happen on that end before the year is out - I’d be utterly embarrassed if we were still watching ABC News NSW in SD in 2020!

Unfortunately, I also have to agree with this given that ABC News’ traditional audience seems to be fairly resistive of major changes - 2005, anyone?

It also wouldn’t overly surprise me if the presenters get sick and tired of standing presentation, I can see a chair (and possibly the desk from the old set making a return) in the future!

1 Like

A couple of caps from the stream

9 Likes

Never realised that ABC Sunday was different from the normal format. Is this across all states or just NSW?

As others have said, lack of HD and lighting really makes this set feel bland even though it also looks quite good…

It’s shit on weekends for NT viewers as Nine has no presence. They need a new format

1 Like