ABC News Content and Appearance

Seven News Melbourne reported the news by highlighting the cancellation of the ABC Sunday Victorian bulletin. These things usually don’t go well down here.

1 Like

Do we know where the new Sunday bulletin is presented from? Sydney? And will it be delayed to different time zones. News that’s not live is never great.

1 Like

According to News Director Justin Stevens on the above TV Tonight article:

“The bulletin would be up-to-date in each market. In coming weeks we will confirm plans for this initiative, including who will present it and the location. We are currently scoping all options, although I can confirm it will not be broadcast out of Ultimo.”

So that rules out Sydney.

Hopefully ABC take note of this incident and don’t do the same in Perth TEN News delayed for Perth viewers | TV Tonight

1 Like

It’ll be out of Perth or possibly Melbourne. Just atrocious.

ABC’s news is rapidly becoming unwatchable - something needed to change, but I’m not sure that going national on a Sunday is the answer.

While it’s good to have a news channel that can attempt to balance out some of the tripe that comes from Sky, it’s dragged the rest of the news offering down.

5 Likes

Robot Cameras gone wild again in Melbourne LOL

5 Likes

On strike in protest of today’s cuts I presume

2 Likes

Given the changes are about cuts maximising resources, surely if ABC News channel is showing a 7pm bulletin on Sunday’s, it would make sense for it just to be a simulcast on the main channel, running two national bulletins parallel would seem to make a mockery of this.

6 Likes

I assume Tam will present the Sunday National bulletin. Melbourne is the largest audience on a Sunday also, they will hold a whole lot of that if Tam presents that.

1 Like

The same Tamara that only turns up for work 40% of the year?

Surely they wouldn’t go for someone who’s never there. ABC Melbourne have fill ins every single week!

3 Likes

Yes I have asked that often and it remains a mystery why Team Vic can’t go a week or two without someone off. Wish my boss was that nice! Even Paul Higgins has been off half the week. Mary was off again recently, I recall Isk was on a few days back.

1 Like

I assume the digital-first Stateline will be 25-30 minutes long? And one episode per week?

I give it a month before these pop up as fillers on the news channel, everything old is new again :wink:

Not mentioned in the TV Tonight article is the axing of the dedicated arts news team. This is from ABC arts editor (online) Dee Jefferson

2 Likes

Seems like negative changes.

This is just complete nonsense from ABC.

• National bulletin on Sunday because no one is watching the local editions? That’s one good way to turn more of your viewers off.

• Don’t see the importance of a political editor? You’re the national broadcaster FFS. If you don’t see it then I want some of what they’re smoking.

• Instead of trashing their straight news department why don’t they get rid of some of their low-rent programming like Q&A which is dumpster fire that should’ve been extinguished when Hamish MacDonald left and also stop wasting time doing sporadic programs like ‘The Vaccine’ or ‘The Game’ (or whatever it’s called during the Olympics) which add no value to the schedule at all. Not to mention having some unnecessary role such as ‘Voice Correspondent’ to keep Dan Bourchier on the payroll when that could’ve easily been performed by the Indigenous affairs Correspondent/editor.

6 Likes

So the ABC are leaving the Canberra and Darwin markets without a local bulletin on any network on Sundays.

Lost for words about how piss poor that is.

1 Like

Join the club. Most of regional Australia do not have a local weekend bulletin.

3 Likes

This is an incredible walking away from the ABC of local content on TV.

I am based in Hobart and the ABC News is the only local content, that I am aware of for ABC TV Tasmania.

I am not upset about this, I am angry…Regional Australia (in my view) has the perception that the ABC is ‘The sydney broadcasting corporation’ and this move confirms it.

The big winners in Tasmania are SCA and the State Government who love dropping bad news on sunday to avoid media scrutiny, the big losers the ABC employees, and the Tasmanian public.