ABC News Content and Appearance

When did you last watch a ‘local’ bulletin? Very little local coverage, and in recent years it’s become less and less.

2 Likes

Despite the quality, Queensland 7pm is barely worth watching for any local news as it is. Not much outside of Sydney and Canberra seems to make ABC News Channel for a lot of the day. Sounds like local content will get worse going forward.

Good quality news is one of ABC’s biggest draw cards and should have been the last thing to be reduced in any budget cuts. There should be so many other areas that the commision could save money. Without going off topic too much , the number of dud short season dramas and “comedies” that they run seems like a waste considering their very poor rating performances.

8 Likes

This is the beginning of the end of localised free to air television news.

2 Likes

I completely agree - they should be investing in more of it. The bulletin is barely watchable these days with naff puff pieces about schools in the Solomons when state politics is barely covered.

Currently in Bali watching ABC Australia, got the bulletins from ABC News Channel are boring, almost all the content is NSW based and very repetitive, quite a few repeats across the day. It was much better when they used to do the Australia Network bulletins.

4 Likes

We could all live without Planet America, Afternoon Briefing, the Business and Q&A.

4 Likes

The above TV Tonight article has added some more information about some of the other changes. This includes the return of a digital-first Stateline, which will also see its 7pm bulletins been extended to 40 minutes on Fridays.

1 Like

I feel the ABC is dying a slow painful death. Ratings are down across TV and Radio. Even in Perth, 9 News is regularly beating ABC now. I think after Covid, people are less interested in news as well.

3 Likes

Not just ABC. Look at 10 News First this year… diabolical numbers.

They shot themselves by the centralisation. We’re doing great before that. Shame to see less local. I’ve always been a huge advocate for local production, especially in Perth with the time difference.

2 Likes

Updated quote to the above tvtonight link.

40 minutes News on Fridays, which will incorporate some Stateline stories (assuming towards the end of the bulletin?). This means that Gardening Australia is pushed back 10 minutes.

It’s been centralised for decades.

1 Like

Yep. All networks are in some way

Axing local bulletins.

No centralising television production. All the networks have done it.

Average joe doesn’t care where production is. They care where it’s presented. When 10 centralised presentation, they went downhill.

Seems to contradicts your previous comment.

1 Like

Oh my bad, I’m trying to say a Perth viewer for example doesn’t want to see a Sydney presenter presenting from Sydney that can’t even say a local suburb name properly. :blush:

2 Likes

I thought that too… but 10 News Perth (when presented out of Sydney) clearly out rated the locally presented 9 News at Five in Perth.

Yes, although the ratings gradually fell and even now that it’s returned to Perth are quite low. Clearly the media landscape is changing with less people engaged I guess. I know I rarely watch news anymore.

1 Like