ABC News Content and Appearance

You want me to delete my post?

No mate - I wanted to delete a post I accidentally posted. Worked out how to do it, sorry technical gremlins.

Re regional Australia - canberra and Darwin are not just regional Australia, they are also capitals (albeit small ones) with Governments now subject to even less media scrutiny.
Not great for democracy.

2 Likes

Agreed but it really is only the beginning. Unless local news can transition to streaming itā€™ll continue to die along with the rest of FTA.

1 Like

Well it worked so well when they replaced ABC News with The Nationalā€¦ errā€¦ hmm

Iā€™d agree with that. Q&A has been a wasteland for years. Returning it to Mondays and a merry go round of hosts has done nothing to save it.

4 Likes

Canberra is not a small capital but the national capital. It should be regarded not as a regional TV market, but a metropolitan TV market. That means it should have its own weekend bulletin all year round.

That might be the case but the population size clearly doesnā€™t justify the classification.

1 Like

I wonder if there is any chance of industrial action as a result of this.

1 Like

Canberra has and always will be a regional TV market. Way too small to be like the 5 metro markets.

It will be a simulcast of the bulletin on ABC News 24 in each state I would say, and delayed by 30 mins for SA/NT. QLD during daylight saving in Southern states may be delayed and be an hour old being ABC News 24 is halfway through its Sunday evening Insiders repeat by the time hits 7pm in QLD?

Agree, the way they are going, there will be no state/territory 7pm TV bulletins every day of the week soon enough. Why not cut the state 7pm News on Sunday back to 15 minutes like it was up until prior to the mess that was The National in 1985 where the bottom 15 minutes was filled with Weekend Magazine? But as Weekend Magazine is long buried, why not fill the bottom 15 minutes with this 10 minute Stateline revival with state/territory weather at 7.25pm? The only reason people watch the state 7pmā€™s is to get some (albeit limited) local coverage, cull that, people will not watch, not even the bland boring ABC News 24 bulletins which are sanitised for the South East Asia/Pacific markets akin to the very boring CNN International bulletins. This is the mess of The National all over again, and what a stinker that was.

1 Like

After watching ABC News in Bali on ABC Australia, they arenā€™t tailored to SEA and the Pacific, itā€™s just the regular ABC News channel bulletins which are NSW heavy.

I doubt the average viewer in NSW can spot the difference between a state and national bulletin on any network.
Not referring to tv enthusiasts, just an average lay viewer.

1 Like

Geelong is bigger - itā€™s regional.

If anything, Canberra should be getting downgraded further. The Parliament House team seem to do little more than react to media releases and repeat quotes from press conferences and not a lot of original local reporting comes out of Northbourne. Combine the two ops.

And Geelong doesnā€™t have a local bulletin on ABC, 7 or 9.

4 Likes

Iā€™d imagine there is a serious cost saving here too - the reality is that the bulletin has been morphing into a national one (just fronted by different people in each state) anyway, its likely that many viewers may not notice the difference.

Its also been the day that many Governments used to get pre-announcement coverage of upcoming things too, by dropping stories to the Sunday papers.

Probably - but itā€™s clear the national broadcaster needs to change in a lot of ways, trying to stop or reverse these changes is simply delaying the inevitable.

3 Likes

In Adelaide, I would be surprised if thereā€™s more than 1 reporter working on a Sunday.

1 Like

ABC News Victoria have finally updated their iView picture. A long overdue update which shouldā€™ve been done 3 years ago

1 Like

What was it prior?