ABC News Content and Appearance

This is just faux outrage.

No outrage here buddy. Just a calm and reflective opinion.

Clearly those who disagree would’ve preferred this panel discussion to pre-empt Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral.

5 Likes

Maybe so but they were complexity tone deaf for letting Stan go on his rant.

Ombudsman’s full report

ABC statement on Russell Jackson’s reporting on the Hawthorn FC allegations

From the start there has been a concerted attempt to undermine ABC journalist Russell Jackson’s reporting on the Hawthorn FC allegations made by some First Nations former players and their family members.

This has been based on a suggestion that three former Hawthorn employees named in the story were not given an opportunity to respond before publication. That is incorrect. The ABC has addressed this twice before, here and here. It is disappointing that similar suggestions have been made again.

To repeat: Across two days before publication of the original story the three individuals were contacted multiple times by the ABC, via email, phone call and text message. Also contacted were the media teams at Hawthorn and the Brisbane Lions and the personal management of one of the individuals.

They were provided with all relevant information about the allegations. They were asked detailed and open-ended questions that gave them the opportunity to fully respond to all the allegations.

After initially receiving no response, the ABC contacted all the parties again and offered them more time in which to respond. We again received no response.

Statements provided by Hawthorn and the AFL were included in the story and the ABC reported the comments that were subsequently made. Everyone involved has always had the opportunity to address the allegations.

Further, the stories of the Hawthorn families were not “leaked” to the ABC. Nobody interviewed by Hawthorn for its cultural safety review was bound by confidentiality – they were free to speak to the ABC or anyone else. The ABC’s reporting was based on its own interviews with three Hawthorn families.

Justin Stevens, ABC Director, News:

“Russell Jackson’s reporting was thorough and fair. It was in the public’s interest to be informed about these issues and Russell went to great lengths to get the other side of the story so he could report on that as well.

“Russell Jackson is a highly experienced and ethical, Walkley Award-winning journalist. The ABC stands behind him and his work.”

Queensland closer tonight

2 Likes

With Jessica Van Vonderen and Jenny Woodward

2 Likes

Does anyone have footage of the robot camera meltdown on ABC News Victoria at the start of the weather earlier this month?

2 Likes

There have been cuts to about 100 ABC reporters.

And a Sunday national bulletin (instead of state based) is in the pipeline for the 7pm News. No other info regarding this at this stage.

1 Like

An absolute shit show. I’m told the national Sunday bulletin is confirmed.

10 Likes

I wonder why Sunday and not Saturday or both days of the weekend.

1 Like

Not surprising though. With the drop off of viewers in general on Free To Air, I expect this to happen more and more across Australia. It will make a lot of monetary sense to have national bulletins or at least more regional ones like VIC/TAS/SA and NSW/ACT/QLD.

4 Likes

Very little local news on those bulletins already, you could almost run national every night with a 5 minute local window.

2 Likes

give it time.

Wow, big move to go national on Sunday. Not sure why just the one day but still very sad to see.

3 Likes

I think it’s 100 staff across all departments, including reporters.

Isn’t there already a national bulletin on ABC News channel at 7pm AEST? All it has to do is to simulcast it across both main channel and ABC News and add more content.

Fair enough re the 100 staff across all departments. I misread that bit.

Going by the guides, the one on ABC News is national, simply titled “ABC National News”. Youde think that they’ll just simulcast that one perhaps? I wonder if they’ll revert back to 40 minute editions on Sundays? They did that briefly a year or two ago, but was then reverted back to 30 minute bulletins.

1 Like

Localism is the single most important asset the ABC has. And it’s (or has been) meaningful localism - not reporting press releases from the cops like Seven, Nine and Ten. It’s not an either/or equation for the ABC when it comes to state news and TV and online. It should be both.

At the very least - ABC News Sunday should follow a BBC News format where you have a national bulletin with a shortened ‘and now here’s the news where you are’.

Why would anyone watch the ABC News on a Sunday now? It’ll be just like the news channel - full of Sydney and NSW stories. The bulletin needs to come from Melbourne or Brisbane.

IMO axing Friday and Saturday local bulletins would have been better (but with still a quick local hit of headlines.

I would hope the decision on Probyn means that Laura Tingle would be used more and not just in the back half of 7:30. She’s the best talent the ABC has.

7 Likes