ABC News Content and Appearance

Not sure what you mean?

IIRC was part of the budget coverage in previous years

1 Like

Interesting throw to the weather in Melbourne. I’m sure someone will post a video soon haha. Robot cameras gone wild lol.

2 Likes

I saw that too. It was hilarious. Luckily Paul Higgins was able to present weather just in time.

1 Like

Minor presentation changes in Victoria tonight.

1 Like

Yeh thought so. Different opening shot?

1 Like

Shmick new OTS

8 Likes

And a new template for other full screen story intro graphics.

2 Likes

What’s the point of having a big screen then?

3 Likes

Also see

Is the audio and footage out of sync here in Melbourne or just me?

1 Like

Statement from ABC, Director News Justin Stevens

Over many months, but particularly in recent days, Stan Grant has been subject to grotesque racist abuse, including threats to his safety. This has become particularly virulent since he appeared as part of the ABC’s Coronation coverage.

It is abhorrent and unacceptable.

Stan personally addresses this issue in a column published today.

Stan is one of Australia’s best and most respected journalists and broadcasters. The ABC stands by him and condemns the attacks directed towards him.

The ABC has and will continue to refer any threats to police. Already this year the ABC has lodged a detailed complaint with Twitter over the racist abuse of Stan being published on its platform.

Stan Grant was one of a range of panelists who appeared during the 6 May Coronation coverage at the invitation of the ABC. He was not the instigator of the program. He was asked to participate as a Wiradjuri man to discuss his own family’s experience and the role of the monarchy in Australia in the context of Indigenous history.

It is part of the ABC’s role to facilitate such important conversations, however confronting and uncomfortable, and to reflect the diversity of perspectives.

The panel discussion in which he participated aired early as one segment in around eight hours of live Coronation coverage. The timing of this important discussion in the lead-up to the event has resulted in a strong response from some viewers. This is regrettable. The ABC Ombudsman will investigate editorial complaints about the coverage, according to the customary process.

The responsibility for the coverage lies with ABC News management, not with Stan Grant. Yet it is he who has borne the brunt of a tirade of criticism, particularly in the usual sections of the media that target the ABC. Reporting on his contribution to the panel discussion has been unfair, inaccurate and irresponsible. It has contributed to fuelling horrendous personal and racial abuse.

Any complaints, criticism – or vitriol – regarding the coverage should be directed to me, not to him.

Yindyamalgirridyu mayinyguwal. In Wiradjuri that means I will respect other people.

1 Like

ABC’s Coronation coverage may have its flaws, but the panel discussion was the point of difference between it and the commercial networks.

I think some of the trolls who abused Stan Grant are just as tone deaf. If all they want to hear was arrivals of VIPs and royals, and relationship between Harry & Meghan and the rest of the Royal Family (which had been discussed and commented ad nauseam), they should have watched Seven, Nine or Sky News instead.

When Prince William or even Prince George is crowned one day, do ordinary viewers want the networks’ coronation coverage to be just the same as that for King Charles?

1 Like

That’s not the point though. There is a time and a place for particular discussion and that night was certainly not the right time. They didn’t have to start coverage at 5pm if they had nothing else to offer. What they did was inappropriate and that’s that.

In fact it’s almost offensive to the cause that it was shoehorned into another events coverage.

5 Likes

ABC has so many other programs that could have been used to carry a panel discussion about the monarchy or they could have made a whole series. But not at the start of the day’s ceremonies for the Coronation. It was ill conceived and poorly implemented. Though, of course, that isn’t the fault of those participating.

10 Likes

Seems like the actual perfect time to have it actually when they’re crowning a new monarch. You sound like the gun nuts.

1 Like

Are you capable of replying to a post you don’t agree with without calling it’s author names?

1 Like

I’d hardly call you an author.

3 Likes