ABC News Content and Appearance

Statement on Alice Springs community meeting coverage

ABC News has reviewed its reporting on the Alice Springs community meeting held on Monday 30 January.

The views of those interviewed who had attended the meeting were accurately reported and were clearly newsworthy. However, we acknowledge that one report on AM was incomplete, and did not adequately cover the full context of the meeting or the range of perspectives expressed at it. ABC News apologises to audiences for providing an incomplete picture of the event in this instance.

Over the course of the day, the coverage included information and perspectives that provided a balanced understanding of the event, including additional comments from the meeting and further context regarding allegations of racism. ABC News stands by its journalists covering this story.

The AM report remains available online, with an Editor’s Note and links to further coverage added to provide further perspectives and necessary context.

The ABC has comprehensively covered the issues of substance abuse and public violence in Alice Springs and will continue to do so.

Editor’s Note

This report includes the views of some people who attended the community meeting and their immediate reaction. Those views were reported accurately. However, this report should have included a broader range of perspectives expressed at the meeting and further information about what was discussed, to provide additional context.

ABC News apologises to audiences for providing an incomplete picture of the event in this instance. ABC News management takes responsibility. Following this report, ABC News published additional coverage of the issue which included a broader range of perspectives and context. Some of this additional reporting is available here and here.

As also mentioned in other areas News Breakfast and Insiders Twitter accounts also closing.

1 Like

Based on this, I assume all News Breakfast and politics tweets are just going through the main account?

1 Like

The News B tweet said

Please follow @abcnews for the latest news and information.

1 Like

According to his twitter, Matt Wordsworth is leaving ABC News QLD.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Worth noting that despite Queensland didn’t have a weather presenter tonight, newsreader Jessica Van Vonderen did the weather at the usual weather wall presentation area. Usually it would just be full screen graphics from the newsreader at the news desk.

3 Likes

The 7pm Victorian bulletin will broadcast live from Geelong on Sunday, April 2, fill-in presenter Ishkandar Razak announced tonight.

3 Likes

Probably no different to the look of total disappointment on the faces of those on the 2019 ABC Federal Election panel.

1 Like

No it’s worse… they scream and yell at the viewers and they eat their own party alive with recriminations. Rowan Dean was unhinged this morning as was that Rita person.

You can’t really compare the two.

Those on the ABC were greatly disappointed but were gracious in defeat. Sky’s Outsiders mob on the other hand are sore losers.

I doubt they’re meaning the ALP participants on the ABC 2019 panel. The impartial ABC panelists weren’t defeated, they presented the results. From memory the “right” attacked Sales based on her final comments I’d have to watch again to recall exactly what she said, but how ironic given how the left criticised her for the next three years. Just another example where if they’re upsetting the fringes on both sides, good chance they’re being balanced.

3 Likes

Admittedly, Sky can be more “in your face” but my point was is that the ABC and Sky are biased. Even Blind Freddy knows that. No news organisation in this country can claim that they are unbiased. All of them have an agenda and pander to their audiences prejudices. We all pay for the ABC and I have a reasonable expectation that their programming and reporting is fair and balanced. News Corp, Nine Newspapers, The Guardian etc are private organisations and can say whatever they want and if people don’t want to pay to read, view or listen to that content, that’s their call.

2 Likes

Lots of people love to claim ABC bias and not bring up a single piece of evidence to support that claim.

The fact that people who jump up and down defending the ABC to the hilt whenever they are faced with accusations of bias are all from the left side of the divide is all the evidence I need. If the ABC were being biased to the right, do you honestly think those same people would be defending it? I highly doubt it.

Again, a single piece of evidence to support that claim of bias would be fantastic.

1 Like

Their atrocious reporting on the problems in Alice Springs recently is one such example.

1 Like

the ABC cops accusations from both ends of the political spectrum over bias in favour of the other side. The reality in that case is that it probably sits somewhere in the middle, which is what it should be.

Each side might produce an example of a story or a commentator to confirm their perception but for each one of those there’s probably just as many in the opposite direction. Again, on the balance of it, the ABC overall probably sits in the middle.

So the ABC has a systemic bias because of… one story on AM?

Looking forward to your condemnation of Sky, the Daily Mail and Nine/2GB giving airtime to someone guilty of fraud.

2 Likes

Think you might be in the minority over that one.