ABC News (Channel)

All fixed.

Fairfax article ABC in 2017 reveals that ABC News 24 will be rebranded ABC News in 2017

The News24 channel and NewsRadio will be rebranded “ABC News”: But how do we distinguish between them – and the TV news bulletins? A spokeswoman says: “When necessary, they will be described as ‘the ABC News channel’ and ‘ABC News on radio’ respectively … the TV bulletins will be described as ‘ABC news [State name] at 7pm on ABC TV’.”

1 Like

As I stated in the ABC in 2017 thread, this is just the dumbest rebrand I’ve ever heard of. I’ve already sent in a complaint to the ABC about this.

1 Like

BBC News did the same thing to its domestic news channel.

Putting all their news outlets under the same umbrella of “ABC News” makes sense - especially bringing ABC NewsRadio into the mix. Always found it puzzling why there wasn’t a coordination of the brand there.

The brand should def be unified.

But why not one ABC News logo and then just add a small ‘24’ or "Radio’ to the end.

So you have

ABC News
ABC News 24
ABC News Radio

2 Likes

Well, what does “24” mean? Yeah, it means 24 hours of the day and it’s on channel 24 on terrestrial TV, but it’s pretty meaningless otherwise. You could say that ABC News Radio operates 24 hours a day, so why not call that ABC News 24?

I think the branding should be the following:

ABC News Online
ABC News (Channel/TV - depending on context)
ABC News Radio
ABC News [state]

1 Like

I would think those 2 reasons are meaning enough.

8 Likes

2 reasons not to have it as part of a brand.

Oooh why? :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Unifying everything as “ABC News” is great, the platform distinctions are totally redundant.

3 Likes

I generally agree that it’s rather obvious what the “24” in ABC News 24 stands for.

However, the “ABC News” brand is already used online, on the TOTH radio news, on the state 7pm bulletins…so I personally don’t see why it can’t/shouldn’t be used as part of the branding of their rolling news stations (on both TV and radio)

All in all, I’m rather on the fence about the branding change. I think that the national broadcaster wants to position ABC News as a multi-platform brand, so it probably makes sense to use the brand for their rolling news stations as well as online and for the shorter form/standalone bulletins.

2 Likes

A single unifying brand is what it’s all about these days - see Nine regionally, and what the Southern Cross Austereo stations are starting to do from middle December. It makes sense marketing wise and in the world now which is full of fragmentation, a single unifying brand is paramount to cut through the noise.

2 Likes

I guess I’m starting to see more where they are coming from

“ABC News” is essentially “on” 24 hours a day - on TV, radio, social and digital. So that one brand is for all platforms.

The TV channel will say “you’re watching ABC News across Australia”, the radio station will say “you’re listening to ABC News” (obviously you are on radio) and when pushing to the 7pm broadcast it will perhaps be “ABC News at 7, on ABC”

it makes sense that the radio, tv, social and digital networks which are on 24 hours a day get the “master” brand of ABC News - and the 7pm broadcast which only runs for 30 minutes is a brand extension of that.

3 Likes

News24 coming from the Sydney 7pm bulletin studio this afternoon?

Bev O’Connor just caught off guard with her hand in her mouth as a report was cut off earlier than she expected.

wat

2 Likes

##abc News Special: US Presidential Inauguration

Saturday 21 January from 3.00am AEDT on ABC 24

On Saturday morning president elect Donald Trump will assume the role of chief executive of the United States and News 24 will have comprehensive coverage of his inauguration.

From 3am (AEDT) we’ll be live in Washington where people of all stripes will attend the ceremony - some to celebrate and others to commiserate.

Planet America hosts John Barron and Chas Licciardello will lead our coverage with context and analysis of the big day.
When Donald Trump replaces Barack Obama in the White House all the eyes of the world will be

Disappointed there are no year in review specials this year. It’s been a big one and the specials they did with Joe O’Brien in 2014 were of the best quality.

I do note The World is doing some specials at 10.30pm AEDT, but other to that - nothing.

If you ask me, the ABC should’ve scheduled some sort of “ABC News: Year In Review” special between coverage of the 9pm and midnight fireworks on the main channel. 2016 has been far too dominated by serious news to joke about it during The Pub Quiz IMO.