ABC News (Channel)

Something up this arvo - Kirsten Aiken presented at 3pm, Afternoon Briefing then ran for 90 minutes before The Virus was on from 5.30pm - a half-hour edition.

Now The Drum simulcast is on, rather than Evenings (EPG suggesting Lorna Dunkley to be hosting).

2 Likes

Where is the late night news come from on Saturdays nights?

The 11.00pm bulletin seems to be coming from a different set. No idea who the presenter is.

The TV guide says the presenter is Charlotte Hamlyn and a Google search says she is from ABC Perth.

Does Perth usually do late nights on weekends now days?

I notice that the ABC Regional News bulletin appears to be presented out of Darwin now. Amy Culpitt is the usual presenter.

Melbourne did it a little while back. I think it might be shared across the country. It seems to be prerecorded from the night before.

The regional bulletin is permanently presented from Darwin now
Darwin took control about 3 months ago of the bulletin

3 Likes

Maybe this model could support localised weekend darwin presentation of 9 news by also habing the 5 o’clock presentation from darwin too

ABC breaches privacy requirements

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) breached the privacy requirements in the ABC Code of Practice by broadcasting an identifiable person’s profile in a news report about dating app scams.

The Newshour segment, which was broadcast in May 2021, included footage of a screen scrolling through a dating app showing the profile of a person, including an image of a face, age and first name.

The ACMA investigation found that although the dating app profile was shown fleetingly, the image of the face was repeated twice in the news report and the person was identifiable.

ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said having personal information broadcast on television can be distressing for the individual in question.

“Media intrusion into a person’s private life without consent must be justified to be in the public interest,” Ms O’Loughlin said.

“There is a clear public interest in reporting on online scamming, however there are limits to the type of personal information that should be disclosed in a news report. In this case, there was no justifiable reason to identify the person and the ABC did not undertake adequate measures to ensure their privacy.”

The ACMA’s enforcement powers when it finds the ABC has breached its Code are limited to recommending the ABC take particular actions. In this case, the ACMA did not consider this necessary as the ABC had already removed the footage from its archive and advised that the ACMA finding will be made available to relevant ABC News staff.

Tuesday 8 November -
Danny Tran presenting weather this afternoon.

3 Likes

I vaguely remember a sporting program that was broadcast on then News 24, I think it was called Grandstand? I think it was removed from production in late 2016 but my memory is very foggy from that time. Something else I can remember is that the presenter, Peter Wilkins I think? was replaced by a female presenter for the last few editions of Grandstand and that at the end of the last edition she thanked the viewers or something like that ? Someone help me out here?

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

Yes, Peter Wilkins hosted Grandstand. I believe it aired in an early evening timeslot.

I also recall another sports program called Contact Sport that also aired in the early days of News 24. Can’t remember who hosted that, but I feel like it was on Friday evenings.

3 Likes

IIRC It aired at 5:30 weeknights.

2 Likes

Paul Kennedy

2 Likes

Remembrance Day Memorial Service today -

3 Likes

8 Billion People and Counting

Tuesday 15 November 8.00pm AEDT

On November 15, 2022, the global population is expected to pass 8 billion people. In an ABC News Special Casey Briggs breaks down the facts and figures to look at the issues behind population growth, poverty and opportunity.

1 Like

National Press Club Address - 2022 final

Thursday, 8 December 2022 12:30 PM AEDT

The Business - 2022 Final

Thursday, 8 December 2022 8:45 PM AEDT

Afternoon Briefing - 2022 Final

Friday, 9 December 2022 4:00 PM AEDT

Friday Briefing - 2022 Final

Friday, 9 December 2022 4:30 PM AEDT

Close Of Business - 2022 Final

Friday, 9 December 2022 9:30 PM AEDT

2 Likes

A news channel has season finales? That’s just insane.

1 Like

Wait till he hears about NZ!

1 Like