ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

I hope you’re joking! He was the super cringeworthy and unfunny one on the sidelines at the soccer match

2 Likes

Only joking.

I’d personally like to see SBS get the rights to NYE coverage one of these years. SBS seems to handle broadcasts of major events reasonably well and would probably do a better job at “irreverent” NYE coverage than the ABC does right now, especially if they got Lee Lin Chin and/or personalities from The Feed (Marc Fennell, Jeannette Francis, Mark Humphries, etc.) to be part of it.

While Seven have not had the rights to Sydney’s NYE coverage since 1995/96, I don’t think I’d want to see them go anywhere near the fireworks because knowing what the network is like these days, they’d probably make it the New Years Eve equivalent of “Carols In The Domain” complete with cringeworthy cross promotion/product placement and probably a duo like Kochie & Sam from Sunrise as the hosts! :open_mouth:

As for Nine and Ten…well I think we all know how badly they’ve handled NYE coverage over the years.

From what I’ve seen in recent years, the actual fireworks display here in Sydney hasn’t evolved much since around the turn of the century (let’s be realistic here…it peaked around then and isn’t likely to come even close until at least NYE 2019/2020) and could do with a relaunch in itself but that’s for another topic.

4 Likes

Seven will throw in their celebrities and endless cross promotion. All your shows will be back “after the tennis” on NYE over and over again. Kochie and Sam hosting with news reviews, performances from “stars” and celebrity reviews and gossip throught the show… I can imagine Channel 7’s NYE coverage.

SBS should get on board. They’re a multicultural broadcaster and know how to handle big events (e.g. Eurovision) well. NYE is suited more to SBS than the ABC and SBS will treat the event with respect.

2 Likes

Seven have done the Melbourne one for a couple of years now which is broadcasted on 7 Central, Southern Cross Darwin, Southern Cross Tasmania, Seven Melbourne And Prime7 Victoria.

It’s very short and simple with little cross promotion, IMO, it’s not bad.

4 Likes

What are you young people doing at home at midnight on NYE anyway??!

6 Likes

Well I’ve got a flight to Europe the next day, so probably packing.

[smug in European]

3 Likes

I’ll be on a plane, heading back to Melbourne :frowning:

oh la de da :stuck_out_tongue:

happy birthday for the other day too :gift:

1 Like

Ta

Getting old now, better take a Aspro and have a lie down.

Just slitting down watching the fireworks on my private Skycam.

subject to change

1 Like

… And I’ll be in New York :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

1 Like

Lucky you! & it will be freezing over there at that time of the year :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Like previous years, I’ll be getting smashed at our NYE music festival.

2 Likes

I’ll be seeing someone off at the airport. Exciting lives we lead.

2 Likes

Countdown to New Year’s Eve with the ABC

This New Year’s Eve the ABC, the Sydney Opera House and the City of Sydney will be presenting Countdown Live NYE 2017; a concert celebrating the songs of Countdown performed by many of our most loved artists.

Jimmy Barnes, Phil Jamieson, Marcia Hines, Casey Donovan, Montaigne, plus many more will provide the soundtrack to the nation’s New Year’s Eve party broadcast via ABC TV, Radio, iview and social as we sing our way up to the midnight fireworks.

In the spirit of celebration, we are looking for the nation’s biggest music fans to join us at the Opera House’s Northern Broadwalk. So, do yourself a favour and in 25 words or less tell us what being at this once-in-a-lifetime concert, under the NYE fireworks at the Sydney Opera House would mean to you.

Submit your entry via the Countdown 2017 competition page.

For further information and Terms and Conditions, please see below.

Note entries close December 8 at midday AEDT.

ABOUT THE ABC’S COUNTDOWN LIVE NYE 2017 COMPETITION

Tell us in 25 words or less what being at this legendary concert, under the NYE fireworks at the Sydney Opera House would mean to you.

Prize: 450 x double passes to the Classic Countdown Concert on the Sydney Opera House Northern Broadwalk on Sunday 31 December 2017 from 4.00pm.

PLUS - One lucky group of four friends will have the chance to win a trip to Sydney including flights and accommodation to experience the concert and the NYE celebrations.

Entries must be submitted via the Countdown 2017 competition page.

Entrants must acknowledge that they are responsible for their own travel to and accommodation in Sydney to be eligible to enter.

Judges will select the entry they deem to be the most creative. Winners will be announced 13 December.

3 Likes

I think that sounds like a brilliant idea for the “Countdown” (hehe) to New Year’s this year! ABC cleverly using one of their assets to bring in the viewers, feels unique to the previous years! :smiley::musical_note::musical_score:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I guess the ABC are going to keep doing this despite all the negative reviews.

2 Likes

I thought ABC’s broadcast deal with City of Sydney would expire soon?