ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

From what I saw last night, the ABC’s coverage was rather ordinary IMO. Maybe we could excuse the ABC if this was their very first go at NYE Coverage, but it was their 4th attempt. Personally, I definitely think we need a new network for NYE 2017-18.

However I do have to feel sorry for Jeremy Fernandez, a respected ABC newsreader deserves a better national TV platform than tacky NYE coverage!

Yeah, I do agree with that point.

If Seven were to pick up the rights, they’d probably turn it into the New Years Eve equivalent of “Carols In The Domain” complete with probably an SD-only broadcast in Sydney (knowing this network’s HD broadcasting strategy), nauseating product placement and cross promotion for programs coming “After The Tennis” like MKR. The choice of hosts would probably be a combination like Kochie & Sam…or Mark Ferguson and Mel McLaughlin. Does anyone really want to see that?

I wouldn’t mind seeing what SBS would make of the NYE coverage though…especially if they got someone like Lee Lin Chin or the hosts of The Feed to present it! :smiley:

6 Likes

Of the fireworks themselves? Overall they were excellent as usual. Difficult to overhaul fireworks.

We struggle to get big name music acts to our NYE - I mean being the middle of summer while a lot of people may watch the coverage on the dot of midnight, people are not going to watch someone like Robbie Williams (or other big names) that have performed at Big Ben for the BBC. Middle of winter makes it much easier and more economical to invest in the the night long telecast. BUT… we can do more in between. I like the idea of a pub quiz.

Reality is you are never going to appeal to everyone. Impossible to try but it could be broader appeal for sure.

Oh no, if that ever happened that would be a new low for Australian Television

Implying it would be worse than The Briefcase

lmao okay then

5 Likes

Really? Why? I wouldn’t mind seeing how SBS handled doing a NYE broadcast. As SydneyCityTV mentioned, they could even get the hosts from The Feed and Lee Lin Chin to host it. Would certainly be something different for NYE for a change! :wink:

7 Likes

I’m sure they’ll do a good job, if not better. But we all know what a lot of Australians think of SBS. I think a majority of the Australian public will be in an uproar.

Speaking of ABC New Years Eve fuck ups, here’s one from the American ABC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU1pGJW5aLs

4 Likes

What’s that? Why would they be in uproar? I’ve never thought of Australians generally having an aversion to the SBS because it is ‘ethnic’ - I assume that is what you’re referring to?

I think Zacgb means that SBS programming shouldn’t be mainstream …

He may have meant that but I don’t see that interpretation being logical based on what he said at all.

Ten years ago Ten took over from Nine to broadcast NYE.

The first broadcast wasn’t well received after that infamous Matthew Newton incident in between the family and midnight fireworks. Ten won the rights to that year’s fireworks with just 5 weeks to go.

All I’m saying is a lot of people think SBS is pure shit. Now if they were to broadcast it, I can guarantee the ratings will be down because of the public’s perception on SBS. You could ask most people and they would say they have never watched SBS in their life for some legitimate or racist reason.
I personally believe it would be a new low for TV and the fireworks itself if it was on SBS as it would feel like no networks want them so they just dump them on SBS.

1 Like

But no networks do want them; that’s why the ABC still broadcasts them despite the heavy criticism.

4 Likes

Yes, so you did mean what I thought you meant.

Frankly, if the SBS can broadcast something as quintessentially “Aussie” as The Ashes, then I hardly think people are going to not watch fireworks on SBS out of protest.

I don’t agree with your comments at all.

4 Likes

ABC and City of Sydney are once again holding a national competition for children to design their own firework for this year’s NYE event. More details can be found here. Entries close August 21.

It looks like ABC will be televising the NYE for the fifth straight year.

1 Like

For the record, I’m not anti-ABC by any means. I certainly think there is a place in our media landscape for a national broadcaster that’s completely independent of commercial interests, and the ABC does a lot of things that Australians can be really proud of.

However, in recent years it’s been becoming painfully obvious that big event TV like NYE broadcasts are not one of the ABC’s strengths. Their much criticised coverage of the Liverpool vs Sydney FC soccer match a couple of months back is another example of our national broadcaster just not getting what is required to make high quality broadcasts for “big event TV” in this day and age.

And like clockwork, there’ll probably be the annual “Viewers slam the ABC’s pathetic New Years Eve coverage” article from News Corp! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Aaron Chen to host the broadcast

4 Likes

Once again cue the bashing from the News Corp press.

Which network would you like to see get it if ABC weren’t in the running?