ABC Local Radio

Where did Bec Lee move to in ABC NSW from Hot FM Townsville (formerly of KRock)?

Heard part of an interview with Jim Maxwell on Grandstand today. Apparently they were doing the Olympics broadcasts from an OB van in Redfern when he took ill.

I thought Jim Maxwell et al were calling the Rio Olympics broadcasts from ABC HQ at Ultimo. Looks like they did it at Redfern to get easy access to pictures from Channel Seven.

Jim Maxwell confirmed Chris Rogers, Simon Katich and Dirk Nannes will return as Expert Commentators this Summer. In the Interview it was mentioned Quentin Hull will return to the Test Commentary Team this Summer. Also mentioned Brian Wattle will do Commentary on Chappell Hadlee ODI’s in December. Jim said in the Interview his aim for International Cricket Broadcasting return is the SCG ODI on 4th of December and January’s New Years Test Match.

Jim Maxwell continues recovery from stroke, hoping to return to Test cricket broadcasting this summer

As we head into another season of Summer Grandstand on ABC Radio, among the questions we have all been asked is “How is Jim Maxwell?” and “When will he be back on air?”

Includes audio interview

maybe he’ll take over next year?

Scott Rollinson is calling the Constellation Cup Aus vs NZ netball live from Launceston tonight. Broadcast on ABC Northern Tasmania and streaming on the Grandstand app. Oddly enough it’s not being broadcast on 936 ABC Hobart though.

Strange that ABC Radio covers tonight’s netball but not last night’s World Cup soccer qualifier between Australia and Japan in Melbourne (it did broadcast the corresponding match in 2013). 774 Melbourne had callers available. Could it be a rights issue?

The latest ABC Radio app now allows you to listen to the latest hourly news bulletin. Quite nice.

2 Likes

I noticed that 91.7 Coast FM on Gold Coast plays Double Jay on Saturday Nights. Any other local ABC’s do the same?

1 Like

I’’ pretty sure it is the only one. Back in the AM days it relayed JJJ overnight. It used to relay DiG Radio after it started too and obviously just continued when it became JJ.

2 Likes

Andrew Moore has just revealed that Gerard Whateley and Chris Rogers will commentate the first cricket test between Australia and South Africa in Perth starting November 3. It means Gerard will call the Melbourne Cup before flying to Perth the next day. I expect Matt Hill will call the Oaks and Emirates Stakes at Flemington for the ABC.

Matt Hill has been calling the races so far this Spring with no mounting yard coverage, still better than just taking 927’s call.

1 Like

###Sabra Lane named as AM presenter

Sabra Lane, one of Australia’s most experienced and respected political journalists, has been named as the new presenter of flagship ABC Radio Current Affairs program AM.

She takes over the high-profile role from Michael Brissenden, who is moving to Four Corners after two years in the AM hot seat.

Director of News Gaven Morris said: “AM sets the national agenda for the day and Australians turn to the program to get the latest news and analysis in a fair, accurate and balanced way.

“Being presenter of AM is one of the key political reporting jobs in the Australian media and Sabra is a worthy inheritor of the position.”

Sabra said: “I am excited and deeply honoured to take this role. It’s a wonderful challenge, one I’m going to relish and grab with both hands.

“AM has been the program that politicians and business leaders have tuned into for more than 40 years and I look forward to carrying on the tradition.

“I will be our listeners’ voice and ask politicians of all persuasions the questions Australians want asked – and I will prod, provoke and challenge them into giving answers.”

AM can be heard Monday to Saturday at 8.00am-8.30am on ABC Local Radio.

Sabra Lane
Sabra Lane is regarded as one of the best political interviewers and most astute journalists in the country.

She has been covering federal politics in Canberra since 2008 and has been Chief Political Correspondent on nightly TV current affairs flagship 7.30 since September 2013, when she replaced Chris Uhlmann in the role. Prior to that she was Chief Political Correspondent for Radio Current Affairs from July 2011, leading federal politics coverage for AM, The World Today and PM.

Before going to Canberra Sabra was a reporter for ABC Radio Current Affairs in Sydney, as well as regular fill-in Executive Producer on AM, The World Today and PM. Prior to joining the ABC she was EP of the Seven Network’s weekly national news and public affairs program Sunday Sunrise for more than four years. She also helped produce Seven News’s coverage of the Sydney Olympics.

Sabra began her journalism career in 1989 in Adelaide as a reporter/producer for the Ten Network.

RADIO highlights across the ABC during Ausmusic Month includes:

triple j
J Awards
Thursday 17 November
This is the day for triple j’s J Awards, featuring:
• Australian Album of the Year
• Unearthed Artist of the Year
• Double J Australian Artist of the Year
• Australian Music Video of the Year
triple j will also be presenting all-Australian Like a Version and Live at the Wireless performances throughout November. Details to be announced next week!

triple j Unearthed
triplejunearthed.com 10th Birthday Party
Friday 18 November from 7pm
This November triple j celebrates 10 years of triplejunearthed.com by throwing one hell of a free party with some of their all-time favourite Unearthed discoveries, including live sets by Allday, Northeast Party House, Ali Barter and Alex Lahey, as well as a bunch of surprise collaborations. It’s all going down as part of Melbourne Music Week, at Victoria’s State Library.
On top of the party, triple j and triple j Unearthed will be celebrating 10 years of triplplejunearthed.com with a month of special content looking back highlights spanning the past 10 years.

Double J
All-Australian Feature Albums, All-Australian Classic Albums, All-Australian J Files
Throughout November
All month Double J will be celebrating the very best new albums from across Australia, some of the classic Aussie albums you grew up with and a very special month of all-Australian J Files programs.
As well as simulcasting the Crowded House performance, next week Double J will also announce two very special music broadcasts, featuring an array of iconic Australian artists. Stay tuned!

ABC Classic FM
40 Under 40
Throughout November
As part of its 40th birthday celebrations in 2016, ABC Classic FM will be presenting 40 Under 40, shining the spotlight on 40 rising Australian performers who are making waves and hitting the high notes here and around the world.
Opera Australia broadcasts
Throughout November
2016 is the 60th anniversary of Opera Australia and in November we showcase landmark productions past and present. We bookend the season with a live broadcast of the acclaimed Australian opera The Eighth Wonder from Sydney Opera House steps on Saturday November 5 and culminate with the current sell out production of Wagner’s Ring Cycle from Melbourne beginning November 29.

RN
The Inside Sleeve
Every Wednesday is Ausmusic Day on The Inside Sleeve at 3pm.
RN Music Show - live from Queenscliff Music festival
Saturday & Sunday November 26 & 27
Interviews and live performances from the regional Victorian music festival.

Digital Radio
Throughout November
A pop-up 24/7 stream featuring 100% classical music written by Australians will be available on ABC Extra, online and on DAB+ Digital Radio.

Gerard Whateely and Matt Hill sharing race calls and mounting yard reports with Matt Clinch. Alister Nicolson hosted the first half of Grandstand from Felmington.

I’d like to see more alternative programming on ABC’s 91.7 Gold Coast. Back when it was more prominently known as Coast FM, the overnight programming would completely different to that of ABC local radio. A networked nights program until 10 for the Gold and Sunshine Coast with automated music overnight I recall.

Sunday mornings were also Macca free which was a great bonus.

2 Likes

Budget Cuts appeared to have hit ABC Grandstand’s Cricket Coverage. Matt Clinch seems to have replaced Adam White as executive producer. Adam Collins and Geoff Lemon appears to be not working for the ABC in any capacity.

Think he now does RSN 927 breakfast as of last week. Not 100% though.

As much as I do rate Gerard Whateley (being a fellow Geelong boy and all), I am really missing Jim Maxwell calling the cricket this summer. I probably have missed it, but did they provide any update on how his health is progressing, and whether we might hear from him this summer at all?