ABC Local Radio

Jim’s been on occasionally over the past month. According to this article he’s hoping to return on the 4th of December at the SCG and then the Sydney Test a month later.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Pleased to hear he’s on the mend and we should hear him for at least a couple of matches this summer

1 Like

Looks like Matt Clinch could join Gerard Whateley on AFL this year.
Clinch would likely head up the Sunday crew too, which means they’d need a replacement for him in SA. Anthony Tucker would the most likely candidate.

I’ve always rated Gerard Whateley as a solid caller on AFL, as well as Matt Clinch. Calling cricket my not be something that Gerard wants to do, but without Maxwell, they don’t really have anyone else, expect maybe Alister Nicolson ?

On the record that Whatley was champing at the bit to call the cricket. Pretty much all ABC grandstand on air staff would call cricket, surprised Quentin Hull isn’t doing the tests.

It will be some kind of homecoming for Matt because he worked for ABC 774 before moving to Adelaide to replace Roger Wills who had retired.

So who will be the 3rd PbP man in Hobart?

Alex Sloan, currently the afternoon presenter of 666 ABC Canberra, is leaving the station after 22 years as an announcer. Her last day on-air will be on Friday 9th December before going into retirement.

More: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-life/abc-666-presenter-alex-sloan-announces-she-is-leaving-after-27-years-20161108-gskjp0.html

ABC Local Radio run a promo which includes the copy, “nine metropolitan stations”.

We have eight capital cities, eight 7pm TV bulletins.

Where is the ninth?

Newcastle lost its metro status when the recent cuts began with losing a local afternoon program and Sunday morning. So it’s not Newcastle.

91.7 ABC Gold Coast?

1 Like

I think they are just living in the past :slight_smile: There were 9 until 2NC was moved to regional.

1 Like

Would be a joke if it was. Unlike Newcastle where the top of hour news was produced from Newcastle from Breakfast through Drive, scant local news on 91.7 ABC.

Also, has not had local afternoons for years, not since the music format was replaced for the more conventional local radio style. Used to have local evenings (networked to Sunshine Coast) and automated? overnights.

Whenever I’m up in Newcastle & listened to 1233 ABC, for some reason, the 2pm news bulletin is not local, in which it’s a statewide bulletin from Sydney. The 1pm & 3pm bulletins either side of it are local though. I first noticed this as far back as 2009, back when 1233 ABC had a local afternoon program.

According to 702 ABC Sydney’s Twitter, Chris Bath will be presenting Evenings on Mondays-Thursdays, and will be heard on ABC Local Radio across NSW & ACT in the new year. She replaces Christine Anu, who will present Evenings on Fridays & Saturdays.

Nightlife will be presented by Philip Clark on Mondays-Thursdays, whilst Sarah McDonald will present on Fridays-Sundays.

1 Like

according to the Brisbane Times Spencer Howson is stepping down from 612 Brisbane’s breakfast slot.

he has pretty much dominated breakfast radio for a few years so will be interesting to see who takes over

The biggest change caused by Nightlife going seven nights a week is that Saturday Night Country will no longer be heard on analogue radio in capital cities. According to the press release, SNC will continue on ABC Local Regional stations and on DAB+ digital radio station ABC Country, as well as being available online and via the ABC radio app.

No change to 774, was hoping Claire Bowditch would be heading off, her show is impossible to listen to with her talking to newborns style.

2 Likes

Thank the lord. The only ABC program I can’t stand listening to.

Hopefully it includes ABC Northern Tasmania (and Hobart) as getting Nightlife on Saturday night, can’t stand SNC.

Interesting about John Cleary’s program disappearing on Sunday Nights. They have some good discussions at times too and sometimes I can go alright at the quiz too.

Can’t believe he is stepping down. I guess it had to happen some time. May as well leave on a high!