ABC Local Radio

What local presenters did they lose other than afternoons? Something on the weekend?

Yet Simon Scoble is promoted to (mis?)manage ABC in Brisbane.

This is what Radioinfo published:

For the past five-and-a-half years, Scoble has been the Local Manager in Darwin, and oversaw the merger of the radio and news social media output with a model that has since been adopted around the country.

He didn’t do a very good job in his then home market of Darwin not to increase the numbers further.

What a joke.

Was there any additional local sports coverage when ABC 1223 Newcastle was classed as a “metropolitan” station?

I do know there used to be on-air mentions of ABC 1223 alongside 702 Sydney & 666 Canberra in statewide programs (and possibly local branding outside of local programs).

1 Like

Yes, the Sunday morning program that was presented by Helen Clare, which was also relayed across Regional NSW.

3 Likes

Yes - Newcastle Knights and Newcastle Jets games with Craig Hamilton and Aaron Kearney respectively. Usually they would either opt out of whatever ABC NSW was taking, or in the case of the Jets (and A-League in general). shift to 1458 ABC News(radio).

Re: the Twitter shutdown - what idiot came up with that idea? Moe is right, they could simply get automated tweets from the Facebook or RSS feeds. What a stupid idea. I can’t wait until some internet troll gets those usernames and posts ultra right wing crap pretending to be the ABC, just for the outrage it will generate.

3 Likes

And I wonder who these people voted for… It looks like that imbecile by the name of Turnbull is getting some magic done.

Funding cuts… It’s all about the $$$

2 Likes

Most of the 1233 area is Labor country.

4 Likes

I don’t buy funding cuts as an excuse - there’s funding priorities.

Spreading ABC content into news feeds on social media means you grow the audience who might have missed it by terrestrial means. That’s a worthy investment for a platform that doesn’t/rarely otherwise advertises its content.

To the extent that they are valuable at all - Facebook is for friends, Twitter is for news.

5 Likes

Hence this is what the ABC should be sticking with for online platforms.

Seriously - complain to your local federal MPs if you live in country electorates.

Guess it’s too late to turn into a byelection issue.

Direct resources where it needs to be going. If ABC’s research has told them regional viewers aren’t engaging with their content on twitter then get rid of it. The reality is, twitter isn’t really used be a great number of people, compared to Facebook.
You can set an automated feed but that’s not the best way to use Twitter.

why does it just have to be about “engagement”? Twitter is a good medium for disseminating news and information or links to articles. And given some of those accounts are only targeted at specific regional markets, to have follower numbers into the thousands or tens of thousands must be a useful asset. And of course tweets get RT’d which increases the reach.

4 Likes

Fairlie Hamilton, ex-i98FM, is filling in for Lindsay McDougall on ABC Illawarra drive this week according to Twitter.

1 Like

How’s she sounding, any good? It’s mostly a magazine style shift right?

1 Like

Another giant from 666 gone.

Who is going to call live sport involving ACT teams or matches in Canberra? There are no immediate replacements available.

Tim might still do it. Sounds like he just doesn’t want to work a full week anymore.

1 Like

Whenever I heard his name on the radio, I always thought it was Gable, and not Gavel.

I always enjoyed his commentary.

1 Like