ABC Local Radio

Co-host of ABC Radio Brisbane breakfast Loretta Ryan is at home isolating after returning a positive COVID test.

4 Likes

UPDATED:
Rafael Epstein will present Drive from the dining precinct at The Glen shopping centre in Melbourne’s east on Thursday, April 28.

I have been living in Glen Waverley since 1990 and cannot remember a live radio broadcast (AM or FM) at The Glen since.

3 Likes

ABC Riverina’s Corowa transmitter on 675AM has not broken away at all this weekend to take AFL in place of NRL (as they have normally done for the past 30 years). Even last night when there was an AFL game but no NRL game they stuck with NSW programming.

Wonder if this is just an error in forgetting to switch this weekend or if this will be a permanent thing?

5 Likes

Call the station on Tuesday @captaincupcake and ask. If they don’t know, they should transfer you to master control who will be aware.

Have had great service from phoning local ABC offices before, as recent as 2021.

2 Likes

Megan Burslem is filling in for Jacinta Parsons on ABC Melbourne this afternoon, with Lisa Leong hosting the 12.30pm-3.30pm timeslot tomorrow (April 27) and Thursday (April 28).
Jacinta hosted as normal yesterday.

UPDATE: Jacinta revealed on April 27 that she tested positive to COVID for the second time.

2 Likes

Brisbane comedian and former B105 & 973 breakfast host Mike Van Acker continues to cover ABC Brisbane afternoons.

Usual host Kat Feeney must still be filling in elsewhere on the station.

ABC Brisbane/Qld weekend host Kate O’Toole also had her second weekend off, on air reason given of assisting family.

1 Like

Its a shame the ABC doesnt have a high power AM equivalent in the border region running the 3MRR content (same as 106.5 Albury/Wodonga) so listeners can hear either NSW/VIC eg. NRL or AFL. Which would leave 675 to run 2RVR (100.5 Griffith) content 100% of the time.

2 Likes

Is the Griffith local content from the Wagga ABC studios?

1 Like

Yes, 2RVR is also 89.9 SW Slopes and 102.7 Wagga Wagga town as the other main services.

I only mentioned Griffith as I thought it was closer to Corowa where 675 is based, but it’s not actually.

1 Like

Well Depends which side of the border, I can get 547 AM (Kandos???) and and Get 774 as well. I am about 45 mins from the NSW Border.

1 Like

Sarah MacDonald is filling in for James Valentine on 702 Breakfast.

Eyes on Josh Szeps as he said he was feeling unwell and needed to have a RAT, left early (3pm) to prevent getting Richard Glover sick.

1 Like

I found 549 AM (Cumnock, near Orange) to be pretty weak down near the border.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s a good idea- I’ll see if I get an opportunity while at work the next couple of days otherwise next Monday I have off and can do that then.

774 comes in very well anywhere due north of Melbourne (I believe to about at far as Hay and Griffith), but tends to be not as good the further north-east or north-west you go from Melbourne, 549 starts to struggle once you get past Wagga and is not very listenable these days with RF noise in Albury/Wodonga proper.

2 Likes

I am just outside Shepparton and get 549 very well on Car Radio and at home 24/7.

2 Likes

After finishing work this evening, I drove to The Glen shopping centre to see Rafael Epstein’s drive show in action. I only heard the last 10 minutes live but I saw Raf speaking to Victorian political reporter Richard Willingham (who later did a live cross to Mary Gearin on the 7pm bulletin) and also a 14-year-old student from Glen Waverley Secondary College across the road.
The broadcast was held just outside an Italian restaurant in the dining precinct, at the south west main entrance to the complex.
Here are a couple of photos.

6 Likes

Rafael Epstein’s next live outside broadcast will be at Frankston Cinema forecourt this Thursday (May 5).

UPDATE: the broadcast has been rescheduled for Tuesday, May 10.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Kudos to James O’Loghlin for stepping in on such short notice.

1 Like

Lisa Leong hosted Afternoons on ABC Radio Melbourne on Monday and Tuesday this week, and Brian Nankervis is in the chair today, as Jacinta Parsons recovers from COVID for the second time. Jacinta is due to return to air tomorrow (Thursday).

EDIT 5/5: Brian Nankervis still hosting afternoons today.

4 Likes

@JohnsonTV did you enjoy Lisa Leong filling in? Talented broadcaster.

2 Likes