A Current Affair

I wonder if clips of the interview will be shown on 7.30 on ABC tonight (7.30 and Fairfax had a joint investigation on the sexual harassment allegations against Don Burke).

AN ACA EXCLUSIVE

TRACY GRIMSHAW HEAD-TO-HEAD WITH DON BURKE

Tonight at 7.00pm on Channel Nine

Explosive allegations were levelled today against TV personality Don Burke, who hosted the top-rating Burke’s Backyard program in the 1980’s and 1990’s.

A series of former colleagues and associates have spoken out and accused Burke of shocking sexual harassment and bullying, in alleged incidences dating back more than a quarter of a century ago.

Burke today sat down for a heated interview with A Current Affair’s Tracy Grimshaw in which he is grilled on the allegations that he was a “sexual predator” and a “psychotic bully” during the hit gardening show’s 17-year run on the Nine Network.

1 Like

Here’s hoping. Nine will either look like it’s complicit in covering Burke’s name or have a rare moment where ACA does good journalism.

Grimshaw being papped.

1 Like

Next to be interviewed should be Leakie and Meakin who knew of the allegations at the time and did nothing about the situation.

4 Likes

… and Chisolm.

1 Like

I’m sure Don Burke isn’t even close to the worst that any of them have come across during their time in Australian Television. This is only the beginning.

3 Likes

I’d put my money on [LIBELOUS - REMOVED] being a sex pest.

2 Likes

To be fair to Leckie and Meakin the show was produced off site by Burke’s production company so it wouldn’t have been happening directly under their noses. There’s no doubt they were aware of his poor behaviour, however. I remember reading about Burke having staff in tears in gossip columns years ago but there weren’t allegations of sexual harassment in those reports.

You only have to look at old network blooper videos on You Tube to see how different work places and the world was back then. Some of that stuff wouldn’t be tolerated now and would lead to instant dismissal. A very good thing, IMO. I know I’ve found myself in uncomfortable situations where I’ve had to laugh at disgusting comments to go along with the crowd in the room. Not proud of that. Thankfully people are quick to speak up against such behaviour now.

I have suspicions about certain celebs and wouldn’t be surprised to see certain You Tube videos used as evidence against them should they find themselves in court.

10 Likes

Exhibit A:

10 Likes

I was looking for that infamous video earlier this afternoon.

How dare you, Libelous Removed is a saint!

11 Likes

That was an outstanding interview by Tracey Grimshaw - she put forward pretty much every allegation leveled against Don Burke today (including raising one herself about a story she heard) and asked him all of the questions that needed to be asked

19 Likes

Excellent questioning by Tracy.
Yes he has the right to defend himself against these allegations but personally I think this interview has even done more damage to his reputation which is already in tatters. Tracy did mention he was not paid for the interview.

This interview was about the allegations by ex employees, but interestingly journalist Kate McClymont alleged today on ABC News that she had received at least 200 additional complaints from members of the public and people who work in the horticultural industry.

15 Likes

Another great interview by Tracy.

A Current Affair really needs to a Sunday Night-esque format, with one/two main story nightly, with the majority of them by Tracy.

7 Likes

Or Tracy needs to be on a different show where her journalistic talents are actually used.

15 Likes

Not that it’s likely to ever happen but I was personally thinking that Tracy needs to be at the ABC, where there seems to be a bit more journalistic freedom than at networks like Nine who need to take commercial decisions into consideration.

Anyway, I didn’t see tonight’s Don Burke interview but I’m sure it was one of the very rare instances where ACA has actually done good journalism. Just a pity that ACA focuses on heavily sensationalised but minor local issues or the network’s latest advertising deals the other 99% of the time!

2 Likes

Despite showing excerpts from ACA and a promo during Nine News, Nine in Brisbane then showed the old promos in the ad break that followed…

As part of news report

Ad break

6 Likes

Tracy could be offered a move over to 60 Minutes

2 Likes