A Current Affair

So many take a swipe at The Project but now the rivals want to emulate that show. :laughing:

ACA used to be known for doing the odd big celebrity interview, particularly back in the days when Jana and Ray were hosting. Iā€™ve never understood why they dropped them in favour of more consumer and scam alert stories. Some of Janaā€™s most memorable moments came when she interviewed the likes of Mel Gibson, Imran Khan, Dustin Hoffman and Nicole Kidman. It makes sense to use a skilled interviewer like Tracy to add value to the show.

6 Likes

I find the angle taken by the article linking the change to The Project very strange.

The breakfast and morning shows have the same celebrities on flogging their latest music and films, as does 7:30, The Project and numerous radio shows. ACA will be just joining in on the circuit.

To be honest, I actually think the addition/return to more celebrity interviews will probably rejuvenate ACA.

Iā€™d still prefer more regular interviews with politicians or the newsmakers of the day of course (think 7.30 with Leigh Sales - yeah, I know how likely the chances of that happening on a commercial network are!), but celebrity interviews with Tracy are still a step up from those trashy consumer/dodgy guys/neighbours from hell/etc reports we all love to hate.

3 Likes

yeah hardly original, if anything a throwback. Would be good to give Grimshaw something more substantial to do.

1 Like

Of course. Now I remember the infamous Gordon Ramsay interview with Tracy Grimshaw and Leilaā€™s with Corey Worthington.

Considering the salary she is on to just read an autocue, itā€™s definitely clear they want value for money and getting her doing more.

Tracyā€™s skills will be put to good use by adding these interviews to the program. Any big name celebrity visiting our country plugging their latest movie or album will probably help increase ratings.

2 Likes

could also be a ploy by Nine to get leverage for their new A List show with Richard Wilkins - not only can we give you 1x60 minute long form interview, but we can also give you a 6-7 minute prime-time IV for those people who donā€™t have the time or the focus to sit down to watch your long-form IV

1 Like

It seems like it was the producer who took that angle not the article.

A Current Affair producer Grant Williams says next year the Nine show will be looking to include more celebrity interviews, particularly given The Project features personalities on a nightly basis.

ā€œThe Project is more inclined to go with live content with celebrities, touring acts and stars and I think we need to get A Current Affair back into that space,ā€ he told the Herald Sun.

Salim Mehajer has been arrested and handcuffed.

A Current Affair will bring you the dramatic video in full as the controversial former deputy mayor is taken into custody.

ACA EXCLUSIVE - Tonight at 7.00pm on Channel Nine

Watching for the first time in years tonight.

wow, how is this sh!t still on air.

badly edited, emotive, I feel like Iā€™m watching a live version of Thatā€™s Life magazine.

1 Like

I seriously donā€™t know. Just the mere fact they recycle the same stories over and over and yet the viewers donā€™t seem to tire of it. I have the joy of seeing it when i visit my parents. They admit they only really watch it out of habit and the remote control doesnā€™t work so the TV rarely goes off Channel 9 :persevere:

1 Like

When you consider the many years of criticism by the likes of Media Watch and The Chaser and the more recent but still brilliant grillings on Gogglebox, the mind boggles as to how many people can still stomach watching ACA and similar programs.

But realistically, I canā€™t see A Current Affair being axed for as long as people are still watching and Tracy Grimshaw is still hostingā€¦

They have dumped the dodgy overpriced hamper company they used to be associated with, and now Woolworths are supplying the hampers.

1 Like

Woollies supplied the hampers for ACAā€™s giveaway last year too.

Nonetheless, I canā€™t believe that the show does this sort of thing each year. How is a hamper giveaway ā€œcurrent/public affairsā€?!

4 Likes

Shows how much I watch it!!

1 Like

At least people who are in need in certain suburbs(we have a lot people in our society who are doing it tough)receive a food hamper for Christmas.

7 Likes

Taking some to a regional town would be a good idea. And give them to needy people rather than whoever gets to the local park first gets the hampers.

3 Likes