9Now

That would be a good idea in theory. But it would be difficult to implement.

I like the idea of win being able to stream the channel online and put local news online but I think WIN will strongly object to it.

3 Likes

That is not really what the full article says. The case that was rejected was just for a temporary injunction until the full case is heard, starting on 4 April, with the judge moving the hearing date forward.

In his ruling this afternoon Justice Hammerschlag said while he believed both parties had compelling arguments, on balance he was not persuaded that he should shut down 9Now on a temporary basis.

Of course there would be no need for a case if 9now was to stream WIN TV into regional areas as WIN has requested as part of the affiliate agreement. That way regional viewers would get access to their local 9 affiliate including local news broadcasts, just the same a metro viewers.

5 Likes

The WorldT20 cricket is available on 9Now.

Queensland Cup not available :frowning:

WIN and Nine to be heading back to court for round two over the 9now live streaming:

1 Like

A judge challenges WIN to bring an internet-connected TV to court to prove a point about broadcasting. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/04/order-in-the-tv-court-as-nine-win-argue-over-9now-service.html

1 Like

A separate legal stoush over whether or not 9Now would work on Smart TVs saw WIN seek to bring an internet-enabled TV into the court. However, Nine opposed the move.

Justice Hammerschlag ruled that it could be set up in an office across the court with the parties eventually agreeing that 9Now worked on some smart TVs.

With Nine and WIN duking it out in court over live streaming Nic Christensen looks at the implications of the case and asks if the partners are heading for splitsville. http://mumbrella.com.au/win-vs-nine-its-time-we-updated-the-legal-definition-of-what-is-broadcasting-357269

Perhaps this is a naive question, but why couldn’t Nine and WIN go joint partners into 9Now, instead of it just being a Nine venture? That way both Nine and WIN share the costs and the revenue? Then, like 7Live, viewers have the option of selecting a local feed, whether it be their local WIN or Nine?

4 Likes

Better yet why don’t Nine and WIN just part ways at the end of the financial year and end all of these years of bitching. If it was a marriage it would have ended in divorce years ago.

6 Likes

So we won’t see the other multichannels streaming on 9Now until this court case is over?

But what about the kids?!?! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Bruce is the Kid

1 Like

Still waiting for the other channels to be streamed online.

Would be good if they could add them to Telstra TV as well.

The biggest hurdle to that would have to be WIN.

No. I don’t think so and until the court case is over we are unlikely to see 9 now extended to other platforms.

When will the court case be over ?

Yet Seven was able to do it with no court case from Prime etc.

7 and Prime7 seem to have a much better working relationship, and most likely brought about by an affiliation agreement that is seemingly much kinder to the regional network.

No, Prime aren’t happy with Seven’s live stream, labeling it as a “mockery” of the reach rules. John Hartigan is on record saying he is following WIN’s court case closely. If WIN are successful, I wouldn’t rule out Prime going down a similar path.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s the reason why prime / GWN won’t air 7 flix because it’s already available via 7 plus?