7plus

Maybe it’s just me but I somehow doubt 7Plus with a premium subscription tier is going to cut it against the likes of Netflix, Stan, Paramount, Disney etc. They need a whole separate brand with new original programming and a decent back catalogue.

7Plus is good for what it is but it’s hardly going to be competitive against the big ones.

3 Likes

We might soon get a case study about that considering ITV is attempting to do a similar thing with the upcoming re-launch of their ITV Hub catch-up service as ITVX which will provide a paid tier consisting of the Britbox library and other shows.

5 Likes

This does not surprise me at all. Considering there’s a lot of content on there at the moment that is only on that platform. 9now is going the same way.

Not necessarily. Peacock’s model seems to work quite well in the US. If they adopt that model where there’s a baseline of free ad-supported content, with a tier of paid premium shows and movies, it could work. But they’d want a solid catalogue first.

I’m still not sure why 7 haven’t partnered with NBC to bring Peacock (whether in name or model/content) to Australia. I think it’s great.

2 Likes

True but I reckon Seven would have to rebrand it as something else rather than ‘7Plus’. NBCU has Peacock named after its logo rather than NBC Plus or anything like that so it would be better to get a different name that is associated but not completely linked to the 7 brand which for many is a turn off.

Couldn’t they just do a deal with NBC to make it a Peacock Australia service? Similar to the P+ set up.

1 Like

I predicted this two years ago:

1 Like

If they charged $4.99 a month for no ads I’d pay.

7 new linear channels have recently been added:

• Bloomberg
  • Bloomberg Quicktake
  • Stingray Classica
  • Stingray Djazz
  • Stingray Karaoke
  • Stingray Naturescape
  • Qello Concerts by Stingray
6 Likes

Bloomberg is a great get for 7plus. Is it streaming the Australian version of Bloomberg channel?

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be easy up front. NBC shows have digital rights deals all over the place. One would hope they’ve quietly been snapping up those rights again as they expire for a future launch.

They’ve been there for a while now.

The same Stingray that was powering (and may still) Foxtel’s music services?

2 Likes

I’d say so. Canadian company

2 Likes

Is 7Plus SD? Picture quality on the Apple TV looks ok.

7Plus is 720p

3 Likes

7 showed a telemovie today at midday called The Client List starring Jennifer Love-Hewitt, and used it to promote a series by the same name on 7plus.

3 Likes

9-1-1 on 7Plus … seems to be Season 3 and Season 5 but no Season 4 .

Digital rights are a tricky business, especially now Disney+ has launched here with all the ABC US content.

Season 3 might come under an old deal which is why its still up, while season 4 only allowed a certain time following broadcast.

2 Likes

I see in the newly added section on the Apple Tv they have added Season 1 of Mork and Mindy,says available for 3 months.