7plus

Why does 7+ have so many streams?

Endless Better Homes and Gardens channel, endless Big Brother channel, and a double up of 7 and 7mate?

3 Likes

With closed captions in multiple languages.

Ah ok, that’s quite good. How long has it been around?

Because why not? Probably took them a few minutes to setup and the bandwidth cost would be minimal. If it gets more eyeballs using the service for longer it has done the job intended.

8 Likes

It’s also about money, more streams means hopefully more eyeballs and retention rates for people on the platform. That equates to more ads and more revenue for the business.

In that aspect, 7+ is light years ahead of 9Now (which isn’t doing too badly) and 10 play which is barely on the radar.

No 9Now is way ahead of 7Plus thanks to Married AFT, Love Islan, BATG etc

See

2 Likes

Love Islan

Sorry, I didn’t articulate myself very well.

The second point was talking about the platform itself when it comes to technology, number of extra channels, show specific streams, library (though this one is subjective) and overall innovation.

Sure, 9 have some shows which bring large amount of viewers to the platform but the interface is very clunky in comparison.

1 Like

It’s been introduced for the Olympics

1 Like

That view doesn’t look too bad for ease of use with so many channels and I’m pretty sure I heard them say tonight that there will be 45 channels of Olympics coverage coming up so they’re definitely going to see some traffic! I think the highest previously for Olympics was when Nine had it and there were 8 channels of coverage on 9Now and I think that may have been with Foxtel as well but I can’t remember.

These additional channels are good for getting people I reckon - there’d be a few people who don’t know what to watch but then see BH&G and will dip in and out - cheap for Seven to send out and more eyeballs = more dollars, so not bad.

In 2012?

I don’t think 9Now was a thing in 2012.

Exactly.

Did 9 air coverage on Gen or was it just the main channel?

Jump In?

Sorry, I reckon it was the Foxtel one and was this one:

Foxtel releases 2012 Olympics App | TV Tonight

But yeah, would have been the 2012 London ones as that looks like the only ones Nine has had!

1 Like

Think they had Vancouver 2010 as well.

Yeah, I was ignoring the winter ones - they had 1994 too by the looks of this.

Olympics on Australian television - Wikipedia

That list from 1956 to 1976 is wrong. The ABC, Seven and Nine all covered the Olympic Games over those twenty years.

1 Like

Seven’s director of sales Natalie Harvey has told Mumbrellacast that 7plus has just under 7 million users as of Monday this week (July 19), and predicted it will grow to 9-10 million users by the time of Beijing Winter Olympics in February 2022.

1 Like