7Food Network

Good to hear.
I messaged them on Facebook over the weekend and they replied this morning asking if the problem had now been rectified, so I figured they must have done something to fix it. I’m at work, so haven’t been able to check

Good to hear :+1:t2:

1 Like

Definitely MPEG-4 as per my signal info photo posted earlier

Restart it rescan? I’ve done a restart, still not there, whenever I rescan I often lose a group of channels so a bit reluctant. Didn’t need one for Your Money recently, just appeared one day.

It is available through the 7plus app.

I only needed to do a restart. I did the same when there were changes made to Onr and Eleven.

When you hit the Off button, it gives a chance to Cancel or hit the blue button to Restart. Is that how you Restart?

Done that, still no 74.

Few comments on facebook with similar issues.

1 Like

Your Money didn’t just appear though, there was already eXtra on 95…

Confirming that I had to do a rescan on Fetch gen2 to get 74 back

2 Likes

Good point, I’ll do a rescan at some point.

1 Like

On one of my TVs (Melbourne market), Ch 74 appeared one day automatically, BUT with no picture or audio.

I knew something wasn’t right, as this TV receives all HD channels, Racing and(i.e.) mpeg-4

So I auto tuned and it appeared again but this time with vision and audio :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That one is actually an MPEG2 channel in the metro markets, but I take your point…

1 Like

I am not a techie so excuse my ignorance of this situation.

MPEG 4 is not available on a lot of televisions, right? When 7flix started it was MPEG 4 and had tiny ratings. Then they changed to MPEG 2 and did all this adverting "now available on more tv’s’ and the ratings went up overnight. I know personally at least 6 people that could not access 7flix in MPEG 4.

So, my ignorant question is - why launch a new channel in MPEG 4 if a large proportion of people cannot access it?

2 Likes

Apparently, just about every TV purchased within the last five years can get MPEG4 channels and there might be one or two manufacturers who’ve been including the necessary codecs in their TVs for about 10 years. The problem is that a lot of the older/cheaper sets (which I’d imagine many Australians would have, especially if they upgraded to Digital TV around the 2009-12 timeframe) can’t receive MPEG2 channels.

Presumably MPEG2/MPEG4 will become less of an issue overtime, but it remains one for now since a lot of people (quite understandably, for a purchase which at the moment is probably roughly equivalent to 2-4 weeks worth of groceries) only upgrade their TVs every 10 years or so.

I think the reason Seven decided to launch 7Food Network in MPEG4 was because there wouldn’t have been enough bandwidth for five MPEG2 channels (Seven, 7TWO, 7mate, 7Flix & 7Food) without the picture quality looking like total garbage.

Mind you, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Seven does try and get 7Food Network in MPEG2 sooner or later.

For as long as we’ve had Digital TV (from the days they were known as “Channel 4.3” and did 576p HD, to more recently when they dragged their heels reinstating a HD simulcast of the main channel in all markets), the Seven Network hasn’t really been one who’s regarded picture quality as an overly high priority and the channel being in a format which isn’t available on all TVs would surely have to be one of the only reasons 7Food Network isn’t outrating SBS FOOD (which is in MPEG2 SD, by the way) - something I’m sure they really want to happen!

6 Likes

My old 2009 LG tv picked up MPEG-4 channels.

2 Likes

Remember that was a while ago (2.5 years?) and there are more TVs out there that can pick up MPEG4 stations these days.

Plus… and this is way more important than just a transmission standards change… 7flix changed its programming dramatically at the same time. It dropped nearly all movies during prime time and dumped a whole load of regular programming on there.

Enough of making excuses for 7food’s poor performance based on being an MPEG4 channel. That’s not the reason, despite what all the 7 boosters here say.!

2 Likes

No Foxtel retransmission would be one of the reasons. Also the fact that there are already 3 other food channels available in Australia: SBS Food, Lifestyle Food, Food Network (Fetch TV)

2 Likes

It’s probably not the main reason but you can’t dismiss it as a reason

1 Like

7Food now airing Gordon Ramsay on Thursdays (tonight) as well, because it’s rating very well.

Seven already panicking and backflipping on their Scripps or whatever itscalled output. By next week, most nights will be Ramsay :joy:

1 Like

This is the only the time I have tuned my TV to 7food was for Gordon Ramsay

Why is improving your schedule and programming to boost ratings seen as panicking? Again?

5 Likes

Well, yes it’s a measured channel for ratings and advertisers, but they’ve (really) not given it much time/chance at all! I mean we’ve been seeing these Ramsay re-runs for over a decade now on various channels since Nine premiered them to huge ratings (and controversy)

but if they are working for Seven on this channel then it stands to reason they’re going to milk it for all they can especially as the channel has mostly struggled to match ratings of the SBS equivalent channel.

3 Likes